Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
Use the Key of the Gorn King to open the grate at 22 and find a chest containing the ?TEMPLE? MAP. (For MUNKHARAMA.)

The chest was empty! Now am I stuck? Is this map a critical item for Munkharama?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The chest was empty! Now am I stuck?

Nah, you will find it eventually on one of the three dozen NPCs that Roam The Land In Search Of Maps (tm). Though you'll need to either buy it or loot it off their corpses.

Also, be prepared that most likely half the map chests you open will already have been looted.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Use the Key of the Gorn King to open the grate at 22 and find a chest containing the ?TEMPLE? MAP. (For MUNKHARAMA.)

The chest was empty! Now am I stuck? Is this map a critical item for Munkharama?
NPCs wander around the world and get map pieces before you do, and then kill each other over them. If one gets to a map piece before you do, you need to track them down and get it from them. It may change hands quite a bit. But also, if you're playing the game in DOSBox, the higher your cycles, the faster NPCs move around the world and open these chests. If you feel like they're going to fast, lower your cycles.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Where can I buy weapons in Wizardry 7 dos version.
Trk.Rhallick attacked my party because of a failed truce attempt. He escaped the battle but the Umpanis do not like me anymore. When I went to Rossairan in New City, he attacked us as well. I killed the bastard but I have no weapons :( :argh:

Buying probably only in Rattkin Ruins or from some of the NPC's like the Gorn King. Though most of it is crap anyway.

Simply swim up the river a bit from the T'Shober crossing.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
My poor samurai has been using a quarterstaff so far, and the ninjas their fists:)

Ninjas are actually very effective with fists if you put points into hand-to-hand combat. So there is the solution to your problem. The stuff you find up the river is mostly for a Lord, but the weapon is good for Fighters as well - probably not Samurai though.

Arthandas

Prophet
How different is Wizardry IV from the psx New Age of Llylgamyn compared to the original?

Arthandas

Prophet
IIRC Trebor's ghost doesn't move in real time on PSX, just upon pressing a button or moving. I'd ask aweigh & friends for more details.
I never played it so it doesn't tell me much :) I want to finally give IV a try and I've read New Age of Llylgamyn is the best version of it. It seems rather obscure and I don't know whether it's just a direct port with enhanced graphics or a remake.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
IIRC Trebor's ghost doesn't move in real time on PSX, just upon pressing a button or moving. I'd ask aweigh & friends for more details.
I never played it so it doesn't tell me much :) I want to finally give IV a try and I've read New Age of Llylgamyn is the best version of it. It seems rather obscure and I don't know whether it's just a direct port with enhanced graphics or a remake.
Port w/ enhanced graphics and slight changes (e.g. in case of Wiz1 in Llylgamyn Saga already includes changes to the gameplay brought by Wiz2 and 3).
GFX are 'better' if you'd like to stare at repetitive textured walls instead of wireframe gfx. Both are fine by me. There's also some music which I enjoyed.

I'm currently playing the New Age of Llylgamyn version of Wiz4 and so far I can tell it's easier than the original due to the apparent lack of keypress limits (or I did't pay attention to that) as well as Trebor's movement being locked to the player actions and not CPU cycles. Apart from that I'm yet to discover other changes.

TigerKnee

Arcane
NAoL apparently had 2 versions of Wiz 4 included - the minor changes one that z_z is supposedly playing and a different "Arrange Mode" which actually makes bigger changes like a rewritten plot and controllable monster party members.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
NAoL apparently had 2 versions of Wiz 4 included - the minor changes one that z_z is supposedly playing and a different "Arrange Mode" which actually makes bigger changes like a rewritten plot and controllable monster party members.
That's correct, I'm playing the slightly modified Classic Mode. Arrange Mode has the plot-related text in Japanese, but also offers some new illustrations for events and tbh it plays closer to Maten Densetsu (Megami Tensei-like RPG without demon negotiation in the field), which is not a bad thing, even if it's a departure from the original idea.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Samurai weapons will be crap until the end of the game.

X4BA32j.png

Not if you import from Wizardry 6 ;)

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
all of the changes done to wiz4 were already present in previous releases of the game, like trebors ghost not moving in real-time and the removal of the key press limit.

only real additions to ps1 port of wiz4 is the orchestral soundtrack, the polygonal graphics and the upscaled 2d textures and the auto-map which is, of course, toggable.

the japanese-only "arranged mode" found on the same ps1 disc offers remixed layouts of the game maps along with ability to control the summoned monsters and probably lots of other changes i dont know about.

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
King Ulgar is dead! I can see it in the savegame viewer of the Cosmic Forge editor. Who killed him? I didn't.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
King Ulgar is dead! I can see it in the savegame viewer of the Cosmic Forge editor. Who killed him? I didn't.

Talk to NPCs and click the Lore button to learn the scoop on who is fighting whom. His killer should have his maps, if they're friendly you can buy them from them.

In the end I think there are only actually 1 or 2 maps you must have to complete the game, the rest just give oblique puzzle hints in indecipherable BradleySpeaque

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
Captain Boerigard is dead as well! I cannot understand why somebody has to kill my precious NPCs?! It is great when I can sell my excess loot in the middle of the Eryn River.

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
I can see in the Cosmic Forge the dead King Ulgar has a spear+2. Can I find his corpse? Then can I loot it? May be the other NPCs are robbing only the maps?

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
I recommend you not to put points into Oratory, Mythology and Artifacts as they increase quickly on their own.

Is there a tricky way to increase Mythology quickly? I have only max 15 and have no free skill points to put into it.
It is very annoying when I cannot make a difference between a Drunken Munk and a Munk Ninja.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
I recommend you not to put points into Oratory, Mythology and Artifacts as they increase quickly on their own.

Is there a tricky way to increase Mythology quickly? I have only max 15 and have no free skill points to put into it.
It is very annoying when I cannot make a difference between a Drunken Munk and a Munk Ninja.

Fight a lot of easy battles I guess? I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
Can Alchemist spells backfire? My ninja frequently backfires his spells. He has no oratory skill.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom