Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane PREY - Arkane's immersive coffee cup transformation sim - now with Mooncrash roguelike mode DLC

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I thought Prey did a lot of things brilliantly, but the one thing were they completely dropped the ball was lack of tension. It just isn't scary, and when a survival horror isn't scary then what is even a point.

In any case though, Arkane remain the top AAA popamole studio for me right now. They have a lot of talent and great ideas, and hopefully they get to keep making games despite both Dishonored and Prey underperforming in the market.

Ash

Arcane
Oh look, a sperg on rpgcodex forum. No one calls enemies like hell knights or shamblers or whatever hp sponges. Hp bloat is a situation when combat difficulty is largely based on pretty much everything being able to withstand way more punishment than it reasonably should, encouraging player to meta the mechanics to obtain a high dmg weapon as soon as possible to "break" (read: make as little tedious as possible) the game. Prey is an example of such scenario, Doom is not. There, did that help?

My bad, I wasn't paying close enough attention and thought you were one of those "enemies have high HP, it shud be REALISTIC" types. Though personally even though overcoming combat difficulty is largely about dealing the most damage in the least amount of time in Prey or abusing a particular mechanic I wouldn't do as you recommend and play on normal, as the game is piss easy as it is and you need the sponges to chew into the already overabundant resources. But yes, combat would need renovation at its core to achieve greatness.

Israfael

Arcane
Also, I don't know if this is true, but I've read that the ONLY way to get through the semi-barricaded doors is via the Alien Mug Transformation power?
No, I think every door has several ways of entering (some less evident, like the 3d printed x-bow), besides, you can just remove the kebab crates with recycle grenades if you really want.
too few enemies, no resources to manage
Somehow I had swarms of exploding balls flying around the station at all times, 2 or 3 technopaths (they like to watch you through the windows when you are inside) and occasional shield mini-boss (forgot the name), i think there's no enemies during certain questlines, but there are a lot of them at other times. When i was trying to find dr. Ingwe, I had to deal with a lot of annoying destructo balls and bigger mobs with almost no ammo for the x-bow and laser, it wasn't really pleasant.
Typhon enemies are really lame. Maybe I'm retarded but I think they suck.
I like the concept, it's like nightmares / pieces of burnt out brain rather than real monsters (i.e. it's more about fighting yourself rather than the monsters - you can even listen what transformed phantoms are saying, it's an interesting thing to do for me personally). The game knows you were alone this whole time and tells that to you. And i'd compare their movement patterns to Skaarj (for some reason game devs abandoned that idea for almost 20 years)

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
you can even listen what transformed phantoms are saying, it's an interesting thing to do for me personally

the vast majority of their quotes come from two security guards next to security chief wossname who watch over the locked cargo bay through the window tho which somewhat lowers their value

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
I thought Prey did a lot of things brilliantly, but the one thing were they completely dropped the ball was lack of tension. It just isn't scary, and when a survival horror isn't scary then what is even a point.

In any case though, Arkane remain the top AAA popamole studio for me right now. They have a lot of talent and great ideas, and hopefully they get to keep making games despite both Dishonored and Prey underperforming in the market.
Waiting for a Might and Magic: Sir Kicksalot 2

Ash

Arcane
Irrelevant. You anticipate an Arkane sequel, it should be Arx. A hardcore Immersive Sim RPG* rather than a straight action game with perks they only made because they couldn't get Arx 2 signed with a publisher. Still, Sir Kicksalot 2 sounds a lot better than another Dishonored, but even Dark Messiah doesn't have modern day mass market appeal that Bethimax would give the green light.

*by "hardcore" I don't mean difficulty, but rather slavishness to the classic Looking Glass ways.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Irrelevant. You anticipate an Arkane sequel, it should be Arx. A hardcore Immersive Sim RPG* rather than a straight action game with perks they only made because they couldn't get Arx 2 signed with a publisher. Still, Sir Kicksalot 2 sounds a lot better than another Dishonored, but even Dark Messiah doesn't have modern day mass market appeal that Bethimax would give the green light.

*by "hardcore" I don't mean difficulty, but rather slavishness to the classic Looking Glass ways.
I get you mate,i to will like to see Arx 2,after all we are on a rpg forum. Still the chances are better for kicking sim. There is a possibility for a great marker if they do it justice and have some great marketing. People love to play with swords and axes :),just look at that pile of shit called for honour. If they play their cards right could make good money. After all Bethesda is not some small company.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
I finished it yesterday, clocking 26 hours on my first Human only playthrough. I really, really loved it. I said before that story wasn't Arkane's forte, but here I must say the story was excellent and captivating. I enjoyed the level of self-awareness and meta commentary the game provides, it kind of reminded me of MGS 2 in that regard.
The game wears its influences on its sleeve like all of Arkane's games, but while I adore System Shock 1 and 2, Prey does something they don't really do and that's adding a vertical layer to it all. Traversing the maps is a whole lot of fun, especially when you get the booster chipsets. The Zero-G sections were a lot of fun. I also greatly enjoyed how vulnerable you are at the beginning and how powerful you get at the end. Gunplay was very satisfying, especially with a fully upgraded shotgun.

The game does have a few issues here and there: I'm not sold on the Nightmare mechanic, especially since the monster is really stupid. The station layout can be kind of confusing and I would've liked more levels to be accessible from the lobby elevator. I encountered a few bugs such as personnel tracking not working in some levels (GUTS and exterior among others), and the third act with Dahl gets a bit overwhelming with all these operators.

Still, what a great game. Fantastic stuff.

Ash

Arcane
The Zero-G sections were a lot of fun.

I also greatly enjoyed how vulnerable you are at the beginning and how powerful you get at the end.

Gunplay was very satisfying

I must say the story was excellent and captivating.

The station layout can be kind of confusing

and the third act with Dahl gets a bit overwhelming with all these operators.

Still, what a great game. Fantastic stuff.

:whatho:

Wulfstand

Prophet
I wonder if they'll continue the franchise. God, I hope so. This game was loads of fun.
I don’t think it sold very well unfortunately. And the director left.

That'd be a real shame, as I enjoyed Prey immensely. That having been said, outside of Arx Fatalis, I'm not a huge fan of Arkane's other games at all.
Well, replaying this and Alien Isolation will have to do untill SS 3 comes out. Wonder how that'll pan out.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Playing it now on Hard. I hope it will be a chellenge. Enjoying it so far. Playing with improved ultra graphcis mod (without motion blur and all that shit) that really stand out, and the immersion mod, which removes most HUD icons, no enemy cue music and so on.

Loving it.

I found a tip on enabling much better antialiasing than what in game offers. In game.cfg Change "r_AntialiasingMode = 4" and also add "r_AntialiasingTAAPattern = 11". Make game.cfg read only. Game looks much better now.

Last edited:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I am running the ultra graphics mod from nexus. Makes the game looks alot better. You should use that mod. amazing lighting and overall just great atmosphere.

I am running the ultra graphics mod from nexus. Makes the game looks alot better. You should use that mod. amazing lighting and overall just great atmosphere.

When I tried it it was a big performance hit and I got some badly glitched shadows. Uninstalled very fast. All I needed for this game was better AA anyway. It looks nice enough otherwise.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

When I tried it it was a big performance hit and I got some badly glitched shadows. Uninstalled very fast. All I needed for this game was better AA anyway. It looks nice enough otherwise.

Did you try the lastest version? it just got updated. I have absolutely 0 problems, and the game looks just amazing. He fixed alot of stuff in the newest version I believe.

I just hope they fix the flickering. I spoiled myself the game with a review because game was unbearable. Objects and items getting more detailed when you move near and details popping out, really the most annoying thing I've ever faced in a game that is supposed to be played in first person.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom