Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
DV7vZmIUMAEh163.jpg

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane

In english: Due that Animal crossing for Gamecube is a port from the N64 version and it’s only 32 MB, you can quit the disc from the console and still playing. The game is completely loaded and you only need the disc again for saving.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The cutthroat world of flight simulator DLC: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/02/19/flight-sim-group-put-malware-in-a-jet-and-called-it-drm/

Flight sim group put malware in a jet and called it DRM

A company who makes add-ons for Flight Simulator X included malware in one of their downloadable jets, players have alleged. The malicious file is called ‘test.exe’ and it is designed to extract passwords from the Chrome web browser, according to the user who discovered it. The company in question, Flight Sim Labs, have since replaced the dirty jet with a clean one. But they say that to claim the file “indiscriminately dumps Chrome passwords” is “not correct information”, adding that the malware was “only extracted temporarily” and that it was targeted at pirates. The head of the company describes the file as “DRM”.

Flight Sim Labs usually make planes you can download for Microsoft’s Flight Simulator X, like the Concorde-X. Or other tools, like one that lets you control the lights on your aircraft. But an installer for one plane, the A320-X (an airbus commonly used by EasyJet or American Airlines) was triggering anti-virus alerts for some players. Reddit user crankyrecursion examined his copy of the installer “simply out of curiousity” and found the embedded malware. He then posted a notice for other players.

“… there seems to be a file called ‘test.exe’ included. This .exe file… is touted as a ‘Chrome Password Dump’ tool, which seems to work – particularly as the installer would typically run with Administrative rights (UAC prompts) on Windows Vista and above.”​

“I’m a technical person by nature,” he told us, “and I was keen to understand why exactly the installation package was triggering antivirus alerts so often.”

The head of Flight Sim Labs, Lefteris Kalamaras, responded to concerned pilots on the company’s forums, claiming that the Reddit post was made by someone with a pirated copy.

“First of all – there are no tools [his emphasis] used to reveal any sensitive information of any customer who has legitimately purchased our products… ”

However, he then admits that there is a “specific method” which affects anyone whose serial number matches versions being shared on piracy websites like The Pirate Bay. In other words, the password-extracting ‘test.exe’ file was in all copies of the installer but only “triggered” if the user was deemed a “pirate”, according to Kalamaras.

“‘Test.exe’ is part of the DRM,” he said, “and is only targeted against specific pirate copies of copyrighted software obtained illegally.”

If such a specific serial number is used by a pirate (a person who has illegally obtained our software) and the installer verifies this against the pirate serial numbers stored in our server database, it takes specific measures to alert us… That program is only extracted temporarily and is never under any circumstances used in legitimate copies of the product. The only reason why this file would be detected after the installation completes is only if it was used with a pirate serial number (not blacklisted numbers).

This method has already successfully provided information that we’re going to use in our ongoing legal battles against such criminals.​

Unsurprisingly, players were not convinced. They continued to complain and Kalamaras later amended the post, saying that the offending malware has been removed from the installer completely.

“… we realize that a few of you were uncomfortable with this particular method which might be considered to be a bit heavy handed on our part,” he said.

So, yeah, turns out imaginary planes is a muddy business. For context, Flight Sim Labs are selling their A320-X airbus for $99.95 , so it’s not that surprising a black market in these digital aircraft has arisen. This is clearly a problem for those who work on the aircraft and rely on good sales for a paycheck. However, putting password-farming malware into your airplanes probably isn’t the most sensible response.

“I think their official response leaves a lot of information out,” said crankyrecursion, the user who discovered the malware, “and is a blatant attempt at trying to divert attention away from the real issue and back towards piracy.

“I imagine there would be a lot of issues surrounding them having users’ passwords stored on their servers, particularly if the lists included banking details or perhaps work usernames and passwords. Computer code is never 100% perfect and it would be easy for legitimate customers to be swept up in this “pirate-only” DRM.”

We’ve contacted Flight Sim Labs for comment and will update this story if they get back to us.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/microsoft-...ator-x-flight-sim-labs-a320-drm-password-dump

Flight Sim Labs explain why they put malware in premium DLC

The head of Flight Simulator X developers Flight Sim Labs has confirmed that the company did include malware in one of their jets, but says that the company was only targeting one specific player.

In a post on the company forums, Lefteris Kalamaras refers to the malware as DRM, and explains how and why the company attempted to take action against the player. He begins by saying that genuine customers copies of the game would automatically remove the malware after proper installation was complete, and the tool would not activate.

The reason for using the DRM, according to Kalamaras, stemmed from an attempt to target "specific crackers who were successful in sidetracking our protection system by using offline serial number generators." The company didn't know how this was happening, but discovered a set of information from specific IP addresses which lead them to the name of one of the crackers (who was distributing free keys for $100 DLC). They couldn't, however, access the websites they were using to distribute the premium content.

Eventually the company locked down the IP address of a single cracker, and decided to capture his (and only his) information. That attempt was successful, and Flight Sim Labs say they discovered an "entire web of operations" working to generate pirated copies of Flight Simulator X and "a whole host of other flight simulator" products from different companies.

Kalamaras says that the tool used in the attempt "will never execute on your machine - unless you were the particular person targeted," but says the company takes full responsibility for customers "who feel their trust was violated." No personal data was sent or kept by the tool, and the installer has been replaced.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Can't wait for the legal actions.

Legal action by who?
By gamers who are so used to being fucked in the ass by developers they started to like it and ask for more? After all, they have the right to protect their IP no matter how, right????? If you didn't do anything wrong you have nothing to worry about!

Or by the guy who supposedly was targeted and is distributing illegal software?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
This image is the reason why I hate the permeating ignorance of gamers:

D2OCygD.jpg

As one of the comments points out, there's a game that did just that:

250px-Double_Dragon_Logo.png

And you're fighting over a girl!

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Splinter Cell has that too. Co-op mode for conviction I think it was. Was a bit of a surprise at the end.

Modron

Arcane
Castle Crashers did the whole winner takes all brawl at just about every other level's end.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Thank you for proving my point: Multiple games have done this before (but Double Dragon probably did it first) so it's laughable to see people post such images and watch them get traction.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Gary is a mess, and he's trying to be a better person. Help him tackle his not very fantastic life, and also help him play a fantasy game in his free time. But as he discovers, the fantasy is more than it seems...
  • Unique turn-based fighting system
  • Interactive story
  • Hand-drawn art
  • Synth-pop soundtrack by xXsickXx
Tactical combat
Gary spends his evenings playing Legend of the Spear, a fantasy adventure game in which the hero and his friends journey through strange lands and engage in hand-to-hand combat with a variety of creatures. These battles take place on a hexagonal grid. On each turn, all fighters act simultaneously. You must decide what action each member of your party will perform. There are no dice rolls, no time pressure, and with each choice you can watch how the turn will resolve before you commit. But with each encounter the enemies will bring new tactics of their own, and defeating them will become increasingly tricky. You will expand your repertoire of moves as you venture on, opening up a variety of different solutions to each problem. The battles in Legendary Gary are designed to be a stress-free exercise in problem solving.

Interactive story
Between gaming sessions, Gary has a normal life to live. You're like his subconscious, guiding his decisions about what to say and do. He has some tough choices to make, and he needs your help! You'll soon find that Gary's friends and family are depending on him, and your decisions can have a large effect on their lives.

Hand-drawn art
I drew it all myself! Really! It's no Uncharted, but I'm proud of it. I hope you like it!

Hmmm.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom