Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Roguelike fuck king of the dragon pass

hivemind

So I have a rich and successful clan with cattle, food, treasures, and trade goods out of the ass. I bully all the nearest clans into fucking off and leaving me their lands, I establish trade routes and alliances with all the others. I am spamming hero-quests so I can unlock the one that lets you make a tribe. Then some fucking bitch ass dragontwerps show up(the same dragontwerps that I successfully stole from in the past) and (((threaten))) me, I am confident in my well earned game position and threaten them back.

What the game imagines as an appropriate answer is for me to get a game over screen with my entire clan being slaughtered by an army of "dragons, wyrms, and dinosaurs", like not even a hard to win series of raids and battles or something, not even a bunch of more choices to deal with the threat of the dragonlets. No, instead its a game over screen from picking the wrong choice in a semi-random event.

I'm so fucking tilted holy shit like 4 hours of my life just gone for no reason.

It's even more obnoxious cause I think I literally didn't missplay anywhere else other than this random, retarded, autistic, jewish, event and so pretty much have to just retrace most of my steps of the last four hours.

Silva

Arcane
That's weird. Never had a "consequence" like that. It's shit design.

Are you playing on PC or IOS? I've heard the IOS version is improved.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Also, don't fuck with the ducks.

Seriously. Same shit will happen if you piss of the dolans.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
KoDP threads are supposed to be in the strategy forum. Just because KoDP is a roguelike strategy game people seem to confuse it with an RPG. The game has such a rabid fanbase on this site you run the risk of having a hit put out on you for criticising it here, but I tend to agree with hivemind on this topic, there's random and then there's random-bollocks, to which I found KoDP to be more of the latter. My experience was of my first try being really easy, but destroyed by the game crashing and losing a few weeks of choice & consequence that became a completely different game when I tried to replay the lost weeks, while game 2 was just a non-stop cavalcade of fuck-you random, even though I played it exactly the same way. Game breaking Bugs plus extreme-random, two things I have no love for in games generally, let alone in an experimental game. I guess I can understand if someone was particularly interested in Scandinavian historical lore it has a unique appeal, but I'd rather read books and old epics if I was that way interested tbh.

oscar

Arcane
You should have paid attention to the lore (a good idea in general in this game). 35 weaponthanes and 400 fyrdsmen with spears and slings might make you a tough guy locally to the other mud hut tribes but there's a good reason Dragon Pass was abandoned and wise Orlanthi stay the fuck away from anything with even a whiff of dragon about it.

dragonkill.png

It wasn't a 'semi-random event' (the delegation is triggered by pissing them off multiple times, keep at it and you will get fucked) but a warning you should have taken seriously.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
You should have paid attention to the lore (a good idea in general in this game). 35 weaponthanes and 400 fyrdsmen with spears and slings might make you a tough guy locally to the other mud hut tribes but there's a good reason Dragon Pass was abandoned and wise Orlanthi stay the fuck away from anything with even a whiff of dragon about it.

dragonkill.png

It wasn't a 'semi-random event' (the delegation is triggered by pissing them off multiple times, keep at it and you will get fucked) but a warning you should have taken seriously.

That's an excellently informative post which pins down the specifics of why a certain random event occurred in the great pantheon of the choices and consequences of this game.

Can I play devil's advocate for a minute though?

So the game is a game that requires you to read all of the lore of the game before playing and then expects you to follow the instructions contained within the lore so you can then go through the motions of a basic strategy game?

Is it about time we had a moniker of a "lorefag" to go along with storyfags and combatfags?

&

If the game requires you to initially read all the lore in order to complete it (if completion is even supposed to be the goal) then is it not slightly obtuse that the game doesn't offer any basic tutorial for what it wants you to do, thereby having a learning curve based on secrecy rather than actual difficulty. A definition of obtuse is literally: "difficult to understand, especially deliberately so".

oscar

Arcane
It doesn't require you. Hence the warning from the delegation that states in no unclear time that if you keep up your behaviour there will be a retribution.

http://kingofdragonpass.wikia.com/wiki/Dragonewts:_Dire_Warning

You can piss the dragons off (in fact it can even be beneficial if you don't push it too far). But if you keep pissing them off (or do something really dumb like threaten their ambassadors) you really did ask for it.

In this game you are the chieftain of a tribe of circa ~800 - 2,000 late bronze/early iron age humans armed with swords, spears, slings (and some minor buffing and trickster magic). You would be be considered lucky if you owned more armour than a thick woolen tunic. How would they even be meant to hurt a flying, fire breathing, thick scaled dragon?

The Fish

Arcane

dragonkill.png

That's an excellently informative post which pins down the specifics of why a certain random event occurred in the great pantheon of the choices and consequences of this game.

Can I play devil's advocate for a minute though?

So the game is a game that requires you to read all of the lore of the game before playing and then expects you to follow the instructions contained within the lore so you can then go through the motions of a basic strategy game?

Is it about time we had a moniker of a "lorefag" to go along with storyfags and combatfags?

&

If the game requires you to initially read all the lore in order to complete it (if completion is even supposed to be the goal) then is it not slightly obtuse that the game doesn't offer any basic tutorial for what it wants you to do, thereby having a learning curve based on secrecy rather than actual difficulty. A definition of obtuse is literally: "difficult to understand, especially deliberately so".

I think that's more abstruse than obtuse.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/obtuse

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/abstruse

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
It doesn't require you. Hence the warning from the delegation that states in no unclear time that if you keep up your behaviour there will be a retribution.

http://kingofdragonpass.wikia.com/wiki/Dragonewts:_Dire_Warning

You can piss the dragons off (in fact it can even be beneficial if you don't push it too far). But if you keep pissing them off (or do something really dumb like threaten their ambassadors) you really did ask for it.

In this game you are the chieftain of a tribe of circa ~800 - 2,000 late bronze/early iron age humans armed with swords, spears, slings (and some minor buffing and trickster magic). You would be be considered lucky if you owned more armour than a thick woolen tunic. How would they even be meant to hurt a flying, fire breathing, thick scaled dragon?

Oh yes, that's all quite true to the factual content of the game. What's obtuse is that how is the player supposed to know that the consequences of certain events equal a game over screen. In strategy games generally there's something called bluff, in that any leader of any tribe or faction will always threaten you with Armageddon if you mess with them, I mean this even happens in the real world, let alone in games. In games there's usually a means to defeat everything you come across, therefore ignoring 'threats' is part and parcel of playing a strategy game:

civilizationi-diplomacy.png

(he?)

KoDP is different from normal strategy games, but does nothing particularly in-game to help the player adjust to a different set rules and norms. Hence, obtuse.

Vidya gaymers are conditioned to react to dragons with not much more than "fuck you bitch, die and give me loot" so when there's a game where you're supposed to be careful around them, that's esoteric and obtuse and abstruse. Wtf there's not even microsoft paperclip stopping me with "wait a minute, chief! are you really sure you want to piss off these world eating monstars?"

crashes do suck though yeah (or more like freezes) need to save every month even when ironmanning.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Says in intro (and shows truly gargantuan beasts) that Dragons killed off all people in Dragons Pass and Orlanthi abandoned it. Knowing Orlanthi as being brave to point of stupidity that tipped me off not to piss about wi Dragons of any stripe with my little tribe of snacks, now the Ducks is a choice that pissed me off because it came totally out of left field. That said I like being a little power in a big world of far more dangerous threats and beings.

Elves should be your enemy anyway.

hivemind

another retarded thing is people complaining about the clan having too many people because """"it's hard to manage"""" when I literally have borderline endless stockpiles of goods, food, and cows

yes I intentionally sent people into their area to steal from them repeatedly
I said semi-random to make my position seem more reasonable

but yeah I understand now that the point is to be a cuck to everything that's not your fellow rapefugees, after one of my expeditions got captured by big black bulls in the beastmen lands I never again bothered to venture there and just sent people to hang out with the tarsh bros

I created a tribe but I feel like restarting because my leaders are all so shit, my pimped out chieftain* in dragontewrp armour** randomly disappeared on an expedition and the adopted vingan hero died on her custom hero-quest after I got like 4 of her stats to heroic, I have an old guy with heroic magic b8ut he'll die soon, my heroic bargaining tricters died when he tried to negotiate with the beastmen to release my people

*he was pretty based, had high stats and was my second leader, spent a few years as a thrall to the horse nomads because I sent him to rescue some others, was very happy when I finally got him back, ddn't put him on the ring and just let him adventure around, he had that hot older black haired chad portrait

*I couldn't resist loot desu despite the last game over

hivemind

My experience was of my first try being really easy, but destroyed by the game crashing and losing a few weeks of choice & consequence that became a completely different game when I tried to replay the lost weeks, while game 2 was just a non-stop cavalcade of fuck-you random, even though I played it exactly the same way. Game breaking Bugs plus extreme-random, two things I have no love for in games generally, let alone in an experimental game. I guess I can understand if someone was particularly interested in Scandinavian historical lore it has a unique appeal, but I'd rather read books and old epics if I was that way interested tbh.
just buy the latest gog version
it runs smooth with no issue

hivemind

Knowing Orlanthi as being brave to point of stupidity that tipped me off not to piss about wi Dragons of any stripe with my little tribe of snacks, now the Ducks is a choice that pissed me off because it came totally out of left field.
tbh I thought that the little dragons were free pickings compared to the big ones
the ducks I never bothered fucking with after I first got that event about muh humakti duck deathlord kills your finest warrior in a duel without breaking a sweat thing

That said I like being a little power in a big world of far more dangerous threats and being
I feel the problem is like pacing really
gassng your fellow storm-niggers is super easy zero challenge, but standing up the outside forces is like literally impossible

I spent like 14 years mindlessly clicking through events because I had to wait before starting tribe negotiations again and during those times I had no avenue for growth or any real danger to befall me

Wut? Vingans are probably the most well-rounded characters overall. And
Kallyr, who you managed to kill off pretty quickly, is the best character possible

To the OP: I'm sorry that you got a game-over screen in a roguelike inspired strategy game. I can see how that must have hurt your feelings and illuminated that it's a bad game.

To be less flippant though, you have correctly identified one of the game's major flaws: the over-population warnings. Your clan ring will continuously warn you that have too many people in your clan, but there's actually no real downside to it, and continuing to amass a larger population will completely break the game's difficulty.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom