Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Top modern jrpgs?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Unlimited Saga is the Fusion Jazz of RPGs. It'll take a lot of getting into to finally get it.

Arthandas

Liturgist
What are some of the things you're still struggling with when it comes to jrpgs? I just wanna get an update of where we are to help with future recommendations.
Here's the update: all jrpgs are shit and I no longer seek recommendations from people who play this crap as a hobby :)
The only jrpg (ish) things I'm currently interested in are FFXV (out of sheer curiosity, I don't care if it's shit), Persona 5 (when I'll be able to emulate it with decent framerate), Dragon Quest XI (if it comes to PC) and Code Vein.

Deleted Member 16721

Unfortunately yes, Suikoden games are way too easy, despite being fantastic in every other way.

IIRC there's a fan-made difficulty patch for the first game though.

They are easy, they are fantastic in every other way and they are still some of my favorite games ever.

A fan-made difficulty patch for the first game sounds great. I loved that game as a kid. Couldn't believe you could recruit 108 characters and many of them even had "hidden" combo attacks in the party if you added the right characters together in the party. Sweet.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I miss that sort of thing. I don't even have to look to know that at some point in that series they started giving you a mandatory tutorial on the unite attacks. Nobody is allowed to figure shit out on their own any more, which was half the fun.

Arthandas

Liturgist
After reading Durante's pc porting efforts/enhancements and watching some gameplay on YT, I'm actually also interested in Trails of Cold Steel. I would buy it right now but the price is pretty steep for a 5 year old game...

Deleted Member 16721

I miss that sort of thing. I don't even have to look to know that at some point in that series they started giving you a mandatory tutorial on the unite attacks. Nobody is allowed to figure shit out on their own any more, which was half the fun.

My 11 year old self was giddy when I discovered that stuff, too. To the point on my 2nd run I had to A) collect all 108 stars and B) try every party combination to see all the different combo attacks. :)

I miss stuff like that, too. It was very rewarding and exciting to figure things out on your own. Or find some well-hidden companion you could recruit. Vintage JRPGs were great for that.

Arthandas

Liturgist
Despite of typical jrpg retardness (by law every protagonist NEEDS to have different hair style/hair color or the fact no one is using fucking armor) I'm really enjoying Cold Steel so far.

Arthandas

Liturgist
Ugh, even though the combat is sweet and I'm totally a combatfag, I just can't stand the flat characters, bland dialogs, boring setting and stupid story. All filled with typical jrpg tropes and cliches.
latest

Arthandas

Liturgist
Find another hobby. Video games are not for you.
So video games=jrpgs?
You may want to hold on to something because I'm about to turn your world upside down: video games consist of more than shitty jrpgs and people are allowed to enjoy other genres or jrpgs made with actual effort.
I'm really sorry if your IQ is prohibiting you from playing anything else.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Are you for real? You really believe non-jrpgs have better characters, dialogs, settings and stories? We are talking about videogames here. They are ALL shit.

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
To each his own. I think jRPG storylines and aesthetics tend to exude a sense of colourful fun, so I tend to view them leniently. I've played plenty of western games with crappy storylines that weren't sold well at all due to looking and being edgy.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Are you for real? You really believe non-jrpgs have better characters, dialogs, settings and stories?

I'm one of those people who really put some effort into coming over their dislike of J-Rpgs and i somewhat succeeded, but yes, they are for the most part.

Rolo

Literate
I think jRPG storylines and aesthetics tend to exude a sense of colourful fun, so I tend to view them leniently. I've played plenty of western games with crappy storylines that weren't sold well at all due to looking and being edgy.
You nailed it. The pretense of a jolly adventure can be a major turn-off, but it can just as well be a powerful tool to give a sense of actual dread. Many jRPG stories start off childish, idiotic and low stakes, but in turn it further empathises later in the storyline just how much everything went to shit. That kind of contrast just didn't work when the story throws despair and edginess right off the bat.

I wonder how many of those that hate jRPGs played one to the end, because it's such a constant theme that it might as well be passed into a law at this point. You missed it if you gave up four hours in, and I get that "I gave this game an earnest try, but I have been playing for hours and the plot is still going nowhere and I still hate these childish fucktards" is a 100% legitimate criticism, but it might be worth powering through at least one.

Arthandas

Liturgist
I wonder how many of those that hate jRPGs played one to the end, because it's such a constant theme that it might as well be passed into a law at this point. You missed it if you gave up four hours in, and I get that "I gave this game an earnest try, but I have been playing for hours and the plot is still going nowhere and I still hate these childish fucktards" is a 100% legitimate criticism, but it might be worth powering through at least one.
I disagree. All jrpgs I actually like are interesting right from the start and coincidentally don't star childish fucktards to begin with. Few examples right from the top of my head: Xenogears, FF6-9 and Legend of Mana.

Also, why none of you silly fucks told me about Cosmic Star Heroine?! One of the best jrpgs I've ever played. Combat is challenging with some very clever and original mechanics I have never seen before and characters are actually not retarded. Even the music is great:

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I've managed to put 3~ hours into Vandal Hearts and so far it's pretty enjoyable. Definitely on the simple end of the spectrum of SRPGs as far as systems and stats go, but it still comes off as a fun game to play because of the mission variety and writing/plot. As opposed to another game that I've been playing recently, Mercenary Saga Chronicles, which is a FFT knock off. Not a bad series of games, but it gets a bit dull and tedious to play when most of the maps are just open rooms with tons of enemies and.. that's it. Not much to go on for a SRPG.

Hyperion

Arcane
Cosmic Star Heroine is a bit of a cheap knock off of Chrono Trigger. Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled did a better job of "taking inspiration." I always managed to stop playing due to RL reasons and never beat it, but it combines CTs combat (combo techs included), FF5's severed worlds, and FF6's displaced party right before the endgame. Had quite a few secrets, from a hidden character, to hidden items in blind corners. Encounter rate was ruthless, and killed the enjoyment of the game for a lot of people. I didn't find it nearly as hard as people complain about, though. (Protagonist's running animation was even snagged right from Crono, hah).

Suicidal

Arcane
Arthandas

I get the impression that you don't really understand what you want. You claim that all JRPGs are shit, then a few posts later you start praising some JRPG, then start complaining that the aesthetics and writing are stupid/childish, then claim that you hate this kind of shit, but then list games that you like, including FF 6-9, which, if I understand correctly, includes FF 7, a game, where almost everyone talks like an edgy 13 year old or a racial stereotype. In what world is that not considered childish retarded shit?

So do you actually want to play JRPGs or not? Because playing JRPGs means putting up with shit writing and derpy plots in order to enjoy the gameplay. It's like sticking your hand in a beehive for some delicious honey. But you seem to be sticking your hand in a beehive but at the same time don't really want honey.

You claim to be a combatfag? Then play Labyrinth of Touhou games and fast skip through all the dialogue and just have fun killing shit and dressing up your party - JRPG combat doesn't get better than those games. If you can't do that then just give up on this genre and play something else.

Arthandas

Liturgist
You claim that all JRPGs are shit,
Not literally, only 99% of them.

then a few posts later you start praising some JRPG,
All I said was that I'm "enjoying ToCS despite its jrpg retardness". Does it really seem like some high praise to you?
I liked it because combat was good.

then start complaining that the aesthetics and writing are stupid/childish, then claim that you hate this kind of shit,
No, I already complained about it in my previous post. Since I really enjoyed the combat I though I can tolerate this shit a bit longer but apparently I couldn't. My opinion didn't change at all, I still think the combat is good and the rest is shit.

but then list games that you like, including FF 6-9, which, if I understand correctly, includes FF 7, a game, where almost everyone talks like an edgy 13 year old or a racial stereotype. In what world is that not considered childish retarded shit?
Except they don't? (at least not in the proper translation, I haven't played the original in ages)

So do you actually want to play JRPGs or not?
I do and I'm even playing one right now (Cosmic Star Heroine).

What I DON'T want anymore are suggestions from bunch of people who played and tolerated this shit for ages and now think TinS/ToCS or Shit Megami Tensei are actually good games. This is fucking Stockholm syndrome in its purest form.

You claim to be a combatfag? Then play Labyrinth of Touhou games and fast skip through all the dialogue and just have fun killing shit and dressing up your party - JRPG combat doesn't get better than those games. If you can't do that then just give up on this genre and play something else.
So Wizardy clones are now jrpgs? Also, unlike some people, when I was a kid I played with fucking G.I. Joes, not Barbies...

Cosmic Star Heroine is a bit of a cheap knock off of Chrono Trigger.
I don't think you played it if you really think so.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom