Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
So to make Henry seem weak an hopeless, fight could proceed say like this: if you land solid hits on bandit, you gain alternative game of thrones scene where he is totally pissed and orders his goons to stab you from five directions with five spears everywhere. You can then plead for your life. If you tell him to fuck off, you die. If you plead, you gain enough time for Theresa to save you and game proceeds.
This way we're doing multiple things - we are allowing player to technically win and show his skill and treat his ego a little bit, but we also break his perception on metagame and narrative and what his player roleplaying wise actually is.
Well the point was the leader will not do that. He was kinda honorable. So jumping from multiple directions... That would be immersion breaking. Whacking main character from behind when he wanted to finish the Bandit leader would be fine. They wanna keep the leader alive. *1

In fact, I suspect the historical fencer team leader kinda roleplayed that Bandit leader, thus what you are proposing is no go, considering his personality (from what I remember when we last met). He wanted to be a show of.

Realistically you should always give player a choice even if that choice is to kill himself, because it would still be his choice and death is a realistic consequence for that.
Or you could give it outside of tutorial because this was supposed to start up the story. Killing the story in the beginning...

On the other side we have relatively fast and brutal intro in Vampires the Bloodlines, followed by rather nice introduction into Mercurio and a "simple" basic task, where when you screw up a bit it will not hurt that much. (Actually there is also tutorial area with Jack. But that's skipable, at least in unofficial patch.) You get easy first task, you just need to get explosives from Mercurio, and blow stuff up. Then you went to Mercurio, and see him on the bed, and know your life is fucked.

I think some checks might actually be traps to fool you into believing about the power of I Win Button. Or maybe they are just very high. For example I had to have really high Charisma to pass a check for that hag for Elishka. And then I decided that since that hag is such a total bitch, fuck it, even as I won, I won't leave Elishka at her hands - better to make her stay with Hermann.
Frankly can you persuade everyone IRL? And can you persuade into any stupidity IRL?

What was not fine was that rescue scene where it was obvious they rode down ALL bandits.
And neither was fine that childlish we paid you back, writing... I hated that in GTA IV ending. And it basically proves that story writers were lacking proper skills.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Frankly can you persuade everyone IRL? And can you persuade into any stupidity IRL?
That's not really an argument since, well, you can persuade people in KCD.

On the other side we have relatively fast and brutal intro in Vampires the Bloodlines
Yeah, honestly, the prologue of KCD looks like it was made by especially larpy narrative designer. You get to play through everything from your basic beginning in a village to return and many other events. A classical hardcore RPG would, a-la Troika games, probably leave you right there with that first cuman trying to kill you, and you would have to tend for yourself and figure out how to flee and where to sleep all by yourself. Finding dead parents would not even be a quest, but more like something player would be interested in like checking where Gorion died in BG1 - just natural curiosity + player freedom would do the trick.

In fact, I suspect the historical fencer team leader kinda roleplayed that Bandit leader, thus what you are proposing is no go, considering his personality (from what I remember when we last met). He wanted to be a show of.
Interesting, I have no idea about these things. But a hit to the head from behind would work just well yes.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Lack of decorative customisation options is a small but still a problem. FFS, Henry doesn't even grow beard over time and sticks to his nu-male nonsense. It worked with established character in Witcher 3, why not here?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah, honestly, the prologue of KCD looks like it was made by especially larpy narrative designer. You get to play through everything from your basic beginning in a village to return and many other events. A classical hardcore RPG would, a-la Troika games, probably leave you right there with that first cuman trying to kill you, and you would have to tend for yourself and figure out how to flee and where to sleep all by yourself.

Yeah KCD is definitely a strange mix of modern cinematic design and krazy old-school ideas. It's even more baffling then why they're so intransigent and insist the game must not have any difficulty modes. Like...it's already 50% casual.

Lack of decorative customisation options is a small but still a problem. FFS, Henry doesn't even grow beard over time and sticks to his nu-male nonsense. It worked with established character in Witcher 3, why not here?

My guess is because Witcher 3 is a 100 million game made by 1500 people. While KCD was made in a garage by a bunch of unwashed enthusiasts eating baked beans all day long. No dev resources for cosmetic rubbish.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Yeah, honestly, the prologue of KCD looks like it was made by especially larpy narrative designer. You get to play through everything from your basic beginning in a village to return and many other events. A classical hardcore RPG would, a-la Troika games, probably leave you right there with that first cuman trying to kill you, and you would have to tend for yourself and figure out how to flee and where to sleep all by yourself. Finding dead parents would not even be a quest, but more like something player would be interested in like checking where Gorion died in BG1 - just natural curiosity + player freedom would do the trick.
Problem is, the whole script is written by extreme larper, more like. Leaving dead parents to player's curiosity doesn't work here because it's a plot device. The entire goose chase kicks off because of Henry's decisions. 90% of players would've just sit tight and never get into stupid situations in a first place. Or exploited their way out of bandits' ambush.
My guess is because Witcher 3 is a 100 million game made by 1500 people. While KCD was made in a garage by a bunch of unwashed enthusiasts eating baked beans all day long. No dev resources for cosmetic rubbish.
25 millions. Witcher 3 costed exactly 60% more than KCD. Other is just marketing and other crap barely related to development. I too hope it's just budget constraints and nothing more.

Last edited:
I don't think people should be surprised at the amount of story and cutscenes in this game - don't forget Vavra also wrote Mafia all those years ago, and there was a fuckload of story there too. The ostensibly 'open world' gameplay in his games seems to me to provide a cushion to support the story, a believable world that seems alive as a backdrop rather than a main activity unto itself. That was true in Mafia and seems to be true in KCD.

Is there a city in the game? All i've seen in footage so far is that village you start in. Was wondering about that. I sort of like cities, big ones especially.

All the villages that I've been to so far are extremely believable. They're much more memorable than just a bunch of vendor icons - topography makes sense, distribution makes sense. You're able to navigate them without looking at a map at all. Castles/forts are where you expect them to be, peasants live where you expect them to, NPCs have routines, there are curfews, city watches, etc.

I much prefer cities in this game to icon-hunting bullshit sprawls like Novigrad.

And honestly how can people say this game doesn't look great? Moving past some annoying bugs related to elevation (at one point I had to crouch to climb some stairs - the horror - that will surely get fixed, I haven't had a single problem at all in 10 hours.

Some casual screenshots I took as I was playing:
4F802B1452C73A4112AB52C478C2187409C53E87

1E51723D05C42FD608F853811DD766DC50334A3D

CB5D0E12E077F63D2A5CC1DA5D211974D9410A4C

70BDA1CB4448DEADE515E469A8EB42700B2EBAA4

Keep in mind the Steam compression is awful and I'm only playing on a mixture of high settings with very high textures/shaders. In what world does this look bad?

Last edited:

Zer0wing

Cipher
Is this game actually good or are just indulging the Czech lobby the same way we like to pretend polish games aren't terrible?
It's really good but much like The Witcher 1, it's just an introduction to something bigger yet to come. The story/larping autism ratio is somewhere around 50/50.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
25 millions. Witcher 3 costed exactly 60% more than KCD.

I'm pretty sure I've read the total cost was 85 million and marketing ate half of it. But I may be wrong.

Okay.

Is this game actually good or are just indulging the Czech lobby the same way we like to pretend polish games aren't terrible?
It's possible they're trying to be nice to me and Paul_cz while trashing the game on a secret Codex thread.

But I think it's actually good.

Also gib access to secret thread pls.

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
God.

Shadenuat

Arcane
While it may be Henry's story just like Mafia is Tommy's, the game feels like player's and belongs to player in my experiences - waaay more than MMO zoned Witcher 3. It has as many avellone-approved player stories due to it being open world as others.

They did say that they wanted to follow that medieval story of one guy and make things seem plausible. Players rushing Henry into cuman army with starting sword wouldn't be very plausible and we all know that players CAN defeat an army with 1d6 damage sword if you just let them onto enemies.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

Don't undervalue them. While they might suck at programming, and they lack some skills I have. They are still authors of Mafia, which was decent game. And they are somewhat fine team.

You are theirs fan, you shouldn't sell them so low.

Zer0wing

Cipher
I'm pretty sure I've read the total cost was 85 million and marketing ate half of it. But I may be wrong.
“Adam Kiciński of CD Projekt RED discussed the upcoming game, noting that the budget for the title is expected to be more than the budget for The Witcher 3. The Witcher 3, he notes, cost well over $85 million in the end (PLN 300 million), although he also emphasizes that only $25 million (PLN 90 million) were direct production costs, with other costs showing up as indirect expenses; CyberPunk is expected to be more expensive.”
The source is easily googled but I'm not gonna give traffic to scum.
Jesus be with (you).

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Okay.

Is this game actually good or are we just indulging the Czech lobby the same way we like to pretend polish games aren't terrible?
It's bit complicated. Shortly if you need to ask this question, wait for sale.

Long version is, that depends if it's your type or not. Majority of streamers dropped it. Some streamers are in love with it. The hiking is somehow worse than in Skyrim, because you have no mountains with cute snow and artistically looking peaks, and no Giants that could whack you to look at the countryside from 300 m altitude and if you have correct spells perhaps even survive. Also no crazy Draedra quest that would drag you around the whole country, which started by I had a bit of drink. (If you had it in Skyrim you know it's imperative to avoid ANY fast travel during that quest.)
2 - 5 hour tutorial, then game kinda starts.

Parabalus

Arcane
Did anyone find the valuable brocade from the Sasau tailor? It's a quest from Simon the miller.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Nothing like Novigrad, not even close. My very cursory impression is that the biggest town is about as big as Khorinis from Gothic 2. Unlike Novigrad though the people in those towns have all simulated lives, they work, eat, drink, etc. so the places feel much denser and infinitely more interesting. For me Novigrad was utter shit, by far the most boring part of the game.
Although I was a bit disappointed I couldn't explore Novigrad and its interactive elements outside of quests were limited, I was very impressed with how they had planned and built it. It's an example of a medieval city and one of the greatest cities in computer games.
fedora.png
somehow saves herself even if you ignore her quandary completely

sloots gonna sloot
She claims she saved herself, but do you believe her story, or do you read between the lines? It's up to you.

So I've confirmed none of the advanced graphic options matter except shaders. I've run through the entire prologue on all-medium on 40-50 FPS. Now I've cranked up everything to Ultra and left shaders on medium. There's virtually no change in the performance. Then again the game does look a bit better on Ultra but it's not a huge difference from what I've seen so far.
This may be true for your GPU, but in my case most of the non-situational sliders have 2-3 fps impact which is felt immediately, and it accumulates.

I am at a point in the game where I've just finished hunting with Hans, and so far I've had no issues with savegames. Maybe people complaining about it have went off into the open world at the first opportunity and are frustrated because they don't have enough cash or skills to produce schnapps, they are trying to play robber barons way too early and hence are getting killed often, forcing them to restart from when they got up from bed? I have been following the main quest with little deviation, as there has been time pressure from the moment you enlist in the guard, and I'm fine with the save system.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Although I was a bit disappointed I couldn't explore Novigrad and its interactive elements outside of quests were limited, I was very impressed with how they had planned and built it. It's an example of a medieval city and one of the greatest cities in computer games.

Oh it's pretty, no doubt. Fantasy but understated and tasteful. But I was talking about the AI. I think a lot of people still haven't caught up with how advanced the NPCs in this game are. It's the next evolutionary step, the Cro-Magnon to the Radiant AI's Australopithecus.

I suspect we'll see much more of this with the next gen consoles. But it's pretty amazing how much AI logic Warhorse managed to cram into the console RAM already AND keep a very high texture quality at the same time (tho sacrifices aren't hard to spot if you look close enough).

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
They suck for mining so they escaped the price inflation, at least when I was buying 6 months ago.

lolno
They used to be under 150 before the mining crisis, nowadays miners often make 1050Ti rigs since they are so cheap compared to RX 570s, 580s and 1060s.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Having a problem completing the robbing the rich quest in rattay. I stole the guild seal and now have to return it to vagabond, but the silly git got himself arrested and sent to the pillory... So I'm left unable to complete the quest.

Bug, feature, bad luck?

Brozef

Savant
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Man this game gets better and better.
After getting the stealth kill perk I started experimenting and boy does embracing the shadows pay off.
Suddenly the game feels like a mix between Hitman and Thief.

Naked Slavsquat for +30 invisibility

Patiently harvesting

And than some asshole has to get a midnight snack. And keeps eating for a fucking hour

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
Warhorse sure gets a lot of mileage out of running the same 3 or 4 cut scenes over and over again just with some shit filter over it huh?

Okay.

Is this game actually good or are we just indulging the Czech lobby the same way we like to pretend polish games aren't terrible?
\
TL;DR
This game looks like it has huge potential but feels like a buggy and lifeless corpse of a game.
I'm waiting to see how patching goes.

I've only made it to the mill and gotten the ring so it's very early going yet. That said, everything looks very budget renfair and you're surrounded by hideous potato faces. I guess this is REALISM. Also I'm not sure why I keep getting quests to find shovels. Fuck off. Didn't even want to bury that asshole of a father after he automatically assumed I was some mouth-breathing shit flinger.

FPP gives me a headache. Gotta adjust that FOV further I guess. Haven't seen any bugs really, just a lot of clipping on the armor layers. Also lol @ the number of nuisance mechanics in this game. Item durability, fatigue, hunger, dirtiness of your clothes/armor. Give me a fucking break.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom