Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

This game's performance is weird. After fiddling a bit, i get 20-30 FPS on medium, at least on the starting area, not sure if it get lower in other parts. So just for shits and giggles i tried ultra, thinking the game wouldn't even move, and instead i get around 15-18 FPS. Both Witcher 3 and Doom 4 go below 10 on ultra. Kinda of odd. Wonder if i would get away with just getting another 660. I'm holding for the new nvidia cards but i may get another 660 for as low as 50 euros and there's really no other AAA game i care about. If i can play this thing on high or very high at a decent frame rate i might settle. I think two 660 in SLI are around the level of 970.

It actually feels surprisingly smooth at 30 FPS, unusually so for first person games. Usually I uninstall when I can't get at least 50 FPS minimum in them at acceptable settings. If it weren't for those annoying stutters in areas with more people I'd be all set to play. Runs perfectly smooth in areas away from NPCs.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Is there a city in the game? All i've seen in footage so far is that village you start in. Was wondering about that. I sort of like cities, big ones especially.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is there a city in the game? All i've seen in footage so far is that village you start in. Was wondering about that. I sort of like cities, big ones especially.

No real big cities, mostly just towns. The towns are relatively alive though.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
Anyone tried this on Wine with a relatively mediocre gfx card? One youtuber got it working nicely with 2.x staging but the framerates plummeted with unpatched 3.1. After initially refusing to buy it because of the price, the lack of a promised Linux version, and it generally looking a bit shit, I'm slowly coming round thanks to the carnage the developer is causing on social media.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Nothing like Novigrad, not even close. My very cursory impression is that the biggest town is about as big as Khorinis from Gothic 2. Unlike Novigrad though the people in those towns have all simulated lives, they work, eat, drink, etc. so the places feel much denser and infinitely more interesting. For me Novigrad was utter shit, by far the most boring part of the game.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Anyone tried this on Wine with a relatively mediocre gfx card? One youtuber got it working nicely with 2.x staging but the framerates plummeted with unpatched 3.1. After initially refusing to buy it because of the price, the lack of a promised Linux version, and it generally looking a bit shit, I'm slowly coming round thanks to the carnage the developer is causing on social media.

Linux lol

Come on. We are lucky the game is even playable as it is. Fixing the game is a priority more than porting this thing on a platform with zero market share.

hpstg

Savant
For people with anything else than a 1070/Vega56: Lock the game to 30fps, and play it on High/Very High. Anything else will fluctuate too much. The motion blur implementation and its whole pacing is such that it won't bother much.

Add "+exec user" to the game's shortcut, create a user.cfg file with this content:
Code:
r_vsync = 0
sys_MaxFPS = 30

and store it in the game's root folder. This will disable the in-game shitty Vsync, and limit the framerate to whatever you want (this example is 30fps).

If you have an NVIDIA card, enable Adaptive half vsync, for the game. If you have an AMD card, use RadeonPro, add the game's exe to it, and enable Double Vsync from the Tweak's tab in the game's profile.

These settings give me a stable 30fps without microstutter, with an ancient 7970 OC, and a 4.5GHz 2600k.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
Come on. We are lucky the game is even playable as it is. Fixing the game is a priority more than porting this thing on a platform with zero market share.

Well, they promised a Linux version and then they decided against it without offering refunds. If I'd backed it I'd be pissed off. As it is I'm just curious. It's not down to the game developers to get it running under Wine, it's down to the Wine developers. Why should that slow the effort in fixing game bugs?

Elex

Arbiter
we need a repubblic era Rome HIRPG so people can complain about slaves and only white roman citizen.

Actually a slave could become a Roman citizen if he played his cards right. Wasn't so common, but it could happen (at least in the late Roman Republic and definitely during the Roman Empire, I think).
What he could get "relatively" easy was his freedom as a libertus, even though that was still a step below a full citizen (mostly regarding political office). Their kids or grandkids would be full citizens, though.
well it’s all about when. at some point roman citizenship was expanded to all the people living in rome territories. too many people imagine from movie that rome was basically the same stuff for many century.

the point is you can’t apply the modern idea of slavery/oppresion from today to ancient Rome.

same for the Roman patrarchy, with the pater familias role.

Mortmal

Arcane
Your graphics card is letting you down there.

I have a worse processor, but a better graphics card (960), and I get pretty much stable 30 FPS (often 40 FPS) on medium settings.

Thanks - would something like ASUS GeForce GTX 1050 Ti STRIX 4GB GAMING OC work? I can get one at a decent price; although I'm wondering whether it wouldn't too much of an overkill for my current setup.

I'm playing with a 1050Ti on high, 80+fps no spikes, but with a Ryzen 1600.

The 1050 Ti is weak sauce.

They suck for mining so they escaped the price inflation, at least when I was buying 6 months ago.

How the fuck are you getting 80+ fps on a 1050ti with high presets ?

On this video the dude barely gets over 50's and not even my 1070 and i7 6700k goes over 80+ with high presets.

This dude has Core i7-8700K , so how are you getting so many fps?

PSsst..its the internet, people lies...

Gord

Arcane
the point is you can’t apply the modern idea of slavery/oppresion from today to ancient Rome.

same for the Roman patrarchy, with the pater familias role.

Indeed you can't. Neither the modern idea of "race", though.
But I won't continue that discussion here (or anywhere else for that matter).

I come to the Codex for talk about games, not politics and in general I'm pretty annoyed nowadays about all the easilly-triggered special snowflakes (be they SJW or alt-right) fucking up any decent gaming-related discussion with their nonsense.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So I've confirmed none of the advanced graphic options matter except shaders. I've run through the entire prologue on all-medium on 40-50 FPS. Now I've cranked up everything to Ultra and left shaders on medium. There's virtually no change in the performance. Then again the game does look a bit better on Ultra but it's not a huge difference from what I've seen so far.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
So I've confirmed none of the advanced graphic options matter except shaders. I've run through the entire prologue on all-medium on 40-50 FPS. Now I've cranked up everything to Ultra and left shaders on medium. There's virtually no change in the performance. Then again the game does look a bit better on Ultra but it's not a huge difference from what I've seen so far.

means it's the game having bad performance.......also there is no AA AF and vsync option in graphics...... in 2018, in a PC game....

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Smejki , here is the following obscure bug for you:

I have a left-handed mouse, where the left and right buttons seem to be exchanged on a hardware level. As a result, I have to switch mouse buttons in most games - all games which do not inherit the windows control panel mouse buttons setting.

In KCD, I change my slash/stab attack mappings through the Controls section, but once I switch to a bow, I can't shoot - the mouse button does nothing - unless I am using the default setting - "Left mouse button" for shooting, and "Right mouse button" for cancelling. Can you investigate the reason for this different behavior for bows?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

This is common with modern gaymes. On Assetto Corsa, most settings do nothing except for shaders and especially reflections. With the latter i literally lose a solid 10 FPS with each subsequent level, but i can turn textures and stuff to high or ultra and nothing much happens.

On Dirt Rally, it's kinda convenient because turning shaders down actually makes the game look better.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
I listened to part of that podcast. Jesus F. Christ these people are insufferable cunts.
Man, listening to these freaks insist it should be mandatory for character customisation/diversity to be in these games, "offensive" if not - and how KCD is something of an outlier in the industry because it wants to tell it's own story...

:stunned:

Codex Year of the Donut
I listened to part of that podcast. Jesus F. Christ these people are insufferable cunts.
Man, listening to these freaks insist it should be mandatory for character customisation/diversity to be in these games, "offensive" if not - and how KCD is something of an outlier in the industry because it wants to tell it's own story...

please don't be a nazi

GrainWetski

Arcane

Diversity is every game being the same and everyone being brown or black.

Shadenuat

Arcane
that 1 unwinnable fight in the beginning of the game and 1 inpassable check
My opinion on that is this: I am generally against any checks or challenges that player is unable to overcome and serve only some narrative purpose to "teach that player a lesson" by that annoying designer. Now, within roleplaying situation Henry is at that time, I'd say designer is easily within his rights to insert any inpassable checks or fights, due to the fact that you are fucking weak.

However, I believe that regardless of roleplaying situation, a player always has to have an option to do better or worse in any situation at least technically, and see the results.

If they wanted to point out how weak Henry is or to make a particular point, I would much rather prefer the way these things are done in Age of Decadence. AoD actually had fights which you could win but you still ultimately lose. One of those happened in second city right near gates during some main quest I believe - you can get in a fight with guard, you then can fight further with like half a dozen armored guards. It's not an unwinnable fight, but after you win it you basically get a game over screen saying that every guard came and they killed you. Good job.

So to make Henry seem weak an hopeless, fight could proceed say like this: if you land solid hits on bandit, you gain alternative game of thrones scene where he is totally pissed and orders his goons to stab you from five directions with five spears everywhere. You can then plead for your life. If you tell him to fuck off, you die. If you plead, you gain enough time for Theresa to save you and game proceeds.
This way we're doing multiple things - we are allowing player to technically win and show his skill and treat his ego a little bit, but we also break his perception on metagame and narrative and what his character actually is.

Realistically you should always give player a choice even if that choice is to kill himself, because it would still be his choice and death is a realistic consequence for that.

that 1 impossible persuasion check
I am actually not sure all persuasion checks in the game are meant to be passed at particular times or are a viable option. Recently I was at Sasau monastery and tried to make local monastery leader to look like scum and got 1 day jail time for that by failing my speech check.

I think some checks might actually be traps to fool you into believing about the power of I Win Button. Or maybe they are just very high. For example I had to have really high Charisma to pass a check for that hag for Elishka. And then I decided that since that hag is such a total bitch, fuck it, even as I won, I won't leave Elishka at her hands - better to make her stay with Hermann.

It might be again they wanted to break player's perception of being instantly good at anything. But impossible checks are never the elegant solution. Passing check and making situation worse would be a lot more interesting, as long as you prove player with hint that he maybe should take some other option than trying to be all smartass.

goddamn save system
I was intimidated by it at first, but after ~10 hours of play I never noticed it anymore. Completely used to it once you figure out timetable of your game and all the ways to save game like rest/baths/quests + savescum potions cease to be any problem to buy or make in any quantities you want. Literally first thing you should do about your character development in any RPG is solving the economy of the game. Once you combine "so dat is a potion" with "alchemy skill" in your character sheet and learn what trader sells what in the game it should be all obvious.

Economy is always the weakest link in any CRPG system. KCD is no exception, although it tries with it's sheer number of money sinks and very intimidating start.

Last edited:

Seethe

Arbiter
It takes a special amount of stupid to think that the Metro journalist cares, aside of a handful of twerps. He doesn't give a shit, he got his clicks/views, the devs sold their game, and many, many fools and their money were easily parted. The same fools who gave clicks to Metro also bought the game because it "pisses off the libs", mind you. Who are you fighting against? From outside the bubble, you look like a bunch of retards who are punching thin air, LMAO.

I've spent the last few days on the internet looking for the SJW outrage, but aside of those comments on Polygon, and a thread or two on reddit(they didn't even start the drama), I didn't see anything else.
Okay then:
kingdomcomesjwgamingpp3s0f.jpg

Btw. also a "great" thread following this: https://forum.waypoint.vice.com/t/w...om-come-deliverance-lets-talk-about-why/12942

Yeah, the journalists WILL bring that up because it baits retards such as yourself for clicks. But the amount of people who actively participate in this dumb drama are overwhelmingly gators. And, they fueled it heavily too. This drama didn't start in 2018, it just exploded now because the game released. And they(including Varka) openly kept fighting with journalists since 2013. What did you expect, that they won't eventually use their journalistic powers to explode this whole thing in order to hurt his sales or generate money, or both?

Oh no, I'll pour gas into the fire, what an unexpected consequence. I wish this cancerous journalistic SJW fest would end, better poke them with a stick constantly. #gamergate

do you have a list of the millers, possibly with their exact locations too? as usual, i'm stealing even nails but i can't find anyone beside the very first fence.
also holy crap limited inventory batman! killing a single deer produces about twice the amount of meat i can bring along.

Shadenuat

Arcane
do you have a list of the millers, possibly with their exact locations too? as usual, i'm stealing even nails but i can't find anyone beside the very first fence.
also holy crap limited inventory batman! killing a single deer produces about twice the amount of meat i can bring along.
Follow river from that miller to the north. There lives my favorite miller. To the east of that miller is also an excellent herbalist.

And as continuation of my rant - the first and most obvious way to solve economy problems in medieval game is to get a horse. You get one literally after 1.5 first main quests.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
reading comprehension. google. effort. try actually playing the game without internet wiping your ass for you, and not complement to others who make RPG Codex look like a forum of pussies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom