Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter System Shock 1 Remake by Nightdive Studios

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The original difficulty sliders need to be dumped or at least heavily reworked (turning off enemy behaviors entirely? No audio logs and unlocked doors? Puzzles and cyberspace sequences solve on frob? WTF?).
Wrong.

The difficulty sliders were great, and I wish more games featured difficulty level management on this level. Imagine how many terrible minigames you could skip. Or that you might let the AI play to the fullest, without getting extra hp (or giving the ai extra damage of higher difficulties, but not the hp bloat that comes with it...).

More to the point for SS1, being able to turn off the time limit is a very good inclusion.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The difficulty sliders were great, and I wish more games featured difficulty level management on this level. Imagine how many terrible minigames you could skip. Or that you might let the AI play to the fullest, without getting extra hp (or giving the ai extra damage of higher difficulties, but not the hp bloat that comes with it...).

Yet another reason why ELEX is the best :dance:

Ash

Arcane
I've heard... things about him.
Didn't like the guy the moment I saw him.

Who the fuck decides they don't like an individual upon first sight in an everyday situation?

Hmm, maybe you're gay and you were saying you didn't "like" him.
clear.png
But that's just me being fabulously optimistic.
clear.png

Last edited:

Deleted member 7219

Why did I back this?

because you wouldn't listen

I didn't read enough into it and got swept into the "Avellone is working on this!" hype.

More fool me.

I did back Kingdom Come Deliverance though - and I'm glad I did. Sometimes backing a risky project is worth it. Still doesn't make me feel better about the $30 I put down on this though, what a waste.

Ash

Arcane
Why did I back this?

because you wouldn't listen

I didn't read enough into it and got swept into the "Avellone is working on this!" hype.

More fool me.

I did back Kingdom Come Deliverance though - and I'm glad I did. Sometimes backing a risky project is worth it. Still doesn't make me feel better about the $30 I put down on this though, what a waste.

^a storyfag getting his just deserts
incline.png

Thanks for investing in a company that continually release primarily old school gameplayfag games!

Goddamn it why'd they have to go fuck it up...

DeepOcean

Arcane
Hmmm... you were paid to make a remake... hmmm, a remake for more than 1 million dollars... you failed into making a new game instead of the remake that you were paid for... then you ran out of money... because... people paid you for a remake not a new game... you failed at getting a publisher deal... so not only you wasted the money people trusted you trying to make a new game nobody asked you for but you tried selling them to a publisher trying to turn it into a biocock game but you were so incompetent that no sane publisher would accept such a deal.

Then... you write an weak ass "apology"... on the apology you said on every single paragraph a few times that you are okay because you just did the "right thing"... well...

AND... AFTER ALL OF THIS... you just ask people to trust you and promise you will release a game on a not specific future...

WHOA... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Realistic visual representation of the backers of Nightdive studios:
:fallout3:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Thought:

Several times already people on the Codex have confused between this game and OtherSide's System Shock 3. I wonder if any of these publishers had a similar reaction?

"Those ex-Looking Glass guys are already making a System Shock game, so why do we need you? The market is crowded, it's just going to confuse people! No deal."

Although TBH the idea that they were going to get a multi-million dollar publishing deal for (something that started out as) a remake was sort of delusional in itself.

flyingjohn

Arcane
I have no idea how people though this was gonna get released.
The cost of any modern not indie team is easily in the tens of millions,the kick starter money barely even covers one year of development.
They knew this wasn't enough but probably were hoping somebody picks them up and funds it,and even if it fails they still get the kick starter money.

So the lesson is ,when any new kick starter promises you a game for less then 10-20 million and it is not a indie game,well that game is gonna get cancelled,or cut down heavily.
This obviously doesn't apply to Eastern Europe devs and one man shows,although those have their own separate dramas.

Gord

Arcane
In principle it could mean easy money, but - if you are a publisher and are approached by some guys that want some moneyz from you for remaking an old game, which they need because they just failed at remaking said old game, are you going to give it to them?

RoSoDude

Arcane
Thought:

Several times already people on the Codex have confused between this game and OtherSide's System Shock 3. I wonder if any of these publishers had a similar reaction?

"Those ex-Looking Glass guys are already making a System Shock game, so why do we need you? The market is crowded, it's just going to confuse people! No deal."

Although TBH the idea that they were going to get a multi-million dollar publishing deal for (something that started out as) a remake was sort of delusional in itself.

Yep, been thinking this for a while. If the slightly-more-aware denizens of the Codex still have no clue which System Shock is which, there's not a chance the "Oh, so Prey is like Bioshock in space?" crowd would have made heads or tails of it.

It's better this way, frankly. A full reboot would have been a half-baked buggy stain on the name of Shock, as if it wasn't sullied enough already. Better to leave space for SS3 to underwhelm our socks off. :positive:

Aditya

Educated
So for backers, these KS projects are essentially "back at your own risk?". Is there no accountability / legal consequences if the Devs just stop making the game they promised and use up all the money on booze and hookers?!!!

I have no idea how people though this was gonna get released.
The cost of any modern not indie team is easily in the tens of millions,the kick starter money barely even covers one year of development.
They knew this wasn't enough but probably were hoping somebody picks them up and funds it,and even if it fails they still get the kick starter money.

You can save a ton of money if you 100% have everything mapped out going into a project, ensuring that everyone knows what has to be done and no time is wasted in stuff that is eventually reworked, scrapped, etc. Even well-managed normal games spend a ton of time iterating levels and collaborating with each other to figuring out the final vision of what something should look like. Had they stuck 100% to the level design, enemy design, plot points, weapons, abilities, etc of SS1 with the only changes being obvious stuff like an AI that can navigate corners, it would have been reasonable.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Maybe these fucks should have remade the game they said they were going to remake and showed a demo of the first areas of the game remade in a new engine with fancier graphics/better controls instead of betraying everyone and making something entirely new that went far outside of the scope of their original idea and funding limits.

Crazy I know.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Why the fuck they didn't hunt down that Chicajo guy (his remixes are kinda good) instead of going for their crappy versions? A remix for a remaster would have been nice.

Mission creep, huh?

Well, they weren't going to remake it properly in any case, and at least they had the guts to pull the plug after realizing they were in a unholy mess. I didn't give 'em a dime so I can appreciate the honesty!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom