Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not only historical games - though something set during the Roman Era that's not as ridiculous as Ryse or Alexandrian Era, something about the Greco-Persian wars, Xenophon's Anabasis and mercenary experience in Persia etc. would be interesting, but also Mythological ones e.g. actually well-made games about Troy or the Odyssey would be great. Instead there's like... Titan Quest and Rise of the Argonauts.

I would probably starve to death playing Anabasis the RPG, if only because I wouldn’t be able to pry myself away from the screen. Such a great idea. And typical RPG progression would make sense for once—start as a nobody and become important because all the original leaders are dead. They’d have to improve the large scale AI, though.

Dexter

Arcane
Retro could work for this game btw.:
151883231806360s3p.png

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If there is a way to block master-strikes other than not triggering them by shift-walking, PLEASE prove me wrong.

I think the idea of fighting the high-level guys is to get into the parry-strike-counterparry-counterstrike loop, resembling real sword exchanges. No idea though what determines who ultimately lands a successful hit. You'd think the AI would be able to perfectly chain the parries forever. They have to have some sort of fail check.
The problem is that there doesn't seem to be a counterparry. My understanding is that master strike is free unblockable attack that triggers a % of the time based on defense skill.

I just fought four guys in a higher level bandit camp at the same time. Killed the two lighter-armed ones so it was just a warhammer+shield guy and a longsword guy, both in heavy armor. EVERY time I swung at the warhammer guy he got a free masterstrike on me, even though I had a longsword and it seemed like I should have been attacking from outside his reach. Couldn't wait for him to attack me so that I could masterstrike him because there were two of them, so I had to keep backpedalling.

I'm trying to figure this out too, and I'm also constantly getting master-stroked by Bernard. Sometimes he parried, riposted, I parried back, riposted only to be master stroked back with apparently no recourse.

I wonder if the effectiveness of master strokes are determined by the difference in weapon skills, and if a higher level enemy is always going to be able to do it. I'm hoping that this is not the case and there's some way to counter these master strokes, otherwise these are just eye-candy animations that somewhat break the system. The parry/strike loops and combos should be sufficient for an interesting combat system, and if the skill differential effectively determines the outcome, rather than making encounters easier or harder, well, then there's no point in an action based combat system to begin with.

I really don't know if this is the case, I hope I'm proven wrong about this. There's a lot of stuff I'm enjoying in the game, but I was really looking forward to a competent first person sword system.

I have to say that the masterstrike thing feels a bit like bullshit. I can accept stuff like parry, riposte, and quick response on the player to avoid getting hit, but unavoidable attacks... come on.

Rev

Arcane
How can I improve my reputation with a town's guards? I've been caught trying to steal something, I paid a very small fine but my reputation with the guards have dropped really low, any way to raise it again?
And since I'm asking, how does general reputation work? I've seen I can raise the rep with merchants simply by offering goods to them with a low price, but how can I be loved by the rest of the town?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How can I improve my reputation with a town's guards? I've been caught trying to steal something, I paid a very small fine but my reputation with the guards have dropped really low, any way to raise it again?
And since I'm asking, how does general reputation work? I've seen I can raise the rep with merchants simply by offering goods to them with a low price, but how can I be loved by the rest of the town?

I think hunting bandit camps help you with guard rep.

KateMicucci

Arcane
I'd really like a game set during the Thirty Years War, just before the battle of White Mountain, if Warhorse wants to stick to historical events important to Czech history. The early modern period is a setting that is virtually untouched in RPGs. Hussite Wars would be fine too as long as there's guns. Kingdumb Cum 1 has a lot of problems but the developer has shown so much promise I'm already looking forward to the sequels.

Smejki First of all, major props to Warhorse, I've been playing KCD today for the first time, and so far, it seems really awesome.

But can you please elaborate on the Masterstrike concern raised in this thread? It seems like the melee combat system was designed around the principle of enemy combatants attacking, parrying, counter-attacking, parrying, counter-attacking, and so on, resulting in a nice flow similar to real life swordfighting and also, movie type sword fighting. This is great, but something like Masterstrike, which is 100% successful and leaves the opponent no chance to respond, seems to go against the grain here, and blemish the otherwise fantastic system.

So can you either explain to us how it really works (if we are not understanding it), or if it is indeed an issue, perhaps bring it up to the rest of the team?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Since this game is doing well can we have the next setting suggestion?

Kingdom come: war of the roses
I can imagine the response from video game 'journalists': "This so-called historical game has a family named York fighting against a family named Lancaster! The developers should be sued for ripping off Game of Thrones!!!" :M

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'd really like a game set during the Thirty Years War, just before the battle of White Mountain, if Warhorse wants to stick to historical events important to Czech history. The early modern period is a setting that is virtually untouched in RPGs. Hussite Wars would be fine too as long as there's guns. Kingdumb Cum 1 has a lot of problems but the developer has shown so much promise I'm already looking forward to the sequels.

There’s a reason the only thing close to an early modern RPG is Mount & Blade’s expansion, with Fire and Sword. It’s really hard to do engaging combat in the age of pike and shot. On the one hand, you can’t protect yourself from gunfire, on the other hand, your own arquebus won’t be able to hit anything except at very short ranges. Plus, it’s much harder to justify the kind of knight-errant structure that most RPGs rely on.

More importantly, Warhorse probably doesn’t want to make a game against the backdrop of losing their country to the Austrians for three hundred years.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

I added the save mod but only use it when I need to leave the game and a lot of time has passed since my last save. Otherwise it's bed or schnapps for me. That's the nice thing about the mod, you can still use schnapps from your inventory and they will save your game.
I heard it messes with your savegames down the line tho. Use at your own risk. I'm just using beds and hoping someone will make a cheat engine for unlimited saves.

Not that I hate the concept, mind you. The implementation is just bad. You need a shit ton of auto saves in a game like this if there are no saves. Why every quest and quest point within those quests doesn't autosave is beyond me. Nothing like having to repeat the same boring sidequests 10 times and walking every time to ruin my day.
:rage:

Paul_cz

Arcane
https://forum.kingdomcomerpg.com/t/warhorse-studios-weekly-torch/29593/40

7) Why did you choose the year 1403 and not the Hussite wars period?
I wanted to begin when it all started and eventually continue to the Hussite wars in the future. Furthermore, we are building the technology, the combat system and everything else, so we would not be able to create such epic events as those that happened during these wars. When we are ready, I want to make sure that everything is done properly.

Q:You mentioned that you were interested in the Hussite wars and perhaps continuing the Kingdom Come series with those as a theme. Do you think Kingdom Come will always be set in Bohemia in the 15th century, or will you perhaps branch out to other time periods and locations?

A: I don’t know. Currently, we want to finish this one. If it’s successful, there is a lot of space to continue the story into many interesting events that happened here and they also caused some international events as well. But never say never. I like Vikings, Crusades and many other topics.

The interview is from 2016 and of course plans are completely subject to change, but I sure fucking hope they make Kingdom Come II: Retribution and have it be about Hussite wars.

Q: is it hard to create and manage your own studio?

A: Few years of stress. No money in the bank. Gray hair. Everybody hates you for being a megalomaniac. Piece of cake.

Dexter

Arcane
It takes a special amount of stupid to think that the Metro journalist cares, aside of a handful of twerps. He doesn't give a shit, he got his clicks/views, the devs sold their game, and many, many fools and their money were easily parted. The same fools who gave clicks to Metro also bought the game because it "pisses off the libs", mind you. Who are you fighting against? From outside the bubble, you look like a bunch of retards who are punching thin air, LMAO.

I've spent the last few days on the internet looking for the SJW outrage, but aside of those comments on Polygon, and a thread or two on reddit(they didn't even start the drama), I didn't see anything else.
Okay then:
kingdomcomesjwgamingpp3s0f.jpg

Btw. also a "great" thread following this: https://forum.waypoint.vice.com/t/w...om-come-deliverance-lets-talk-about-why/12942

sullynathan

Arcane
Is the Combat in the game actually good? A full review on that would be nice and a comparison to other action & action rpg games with good combat would be fine.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
As for the armor, yes I have one of the best armor in the game because I killed a Cuman very early into the game and it seems that nothing can budge it
That's kind of my point though. You lucked out and got a suit of power armor from Navarro. You're using that and an AI exploit in an early version of the game.

As for the head/face being a killshot, I have no idea how you do it. I fire 10 shots in a row and can't hit a stationary rabbit in the early game.

Come on dude, does this look hard to you?

You can do this all day, 10 enemies, 1000 enemies, it doesn't make a difference.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Come on dude, does this look hard to you?

You can do this all day, 10 enemies, 1000 enemies, it doesn't make a difference.

I see you haven't yet embraced the chivalric virtues. Only a craven ruffian would fight like that. No honor, like a woman.

Paul_cz

Arcane
It takes a special amount of stupid to think that the Metro journalist cares, aside of a handful of twerps. He doesn't give a shit, he got his clicks/views, the devs sold their game, and many, many fools and their money were easily parted. The same fools who gave clicks to Metro also bought the game because it "pisses off the libs", mind you. Who are you fighting against? From outside the bubble, you look like a bunch of retards who are punching thin air, LMAO.

I've spent the last few days on the internet looking for the SJW outrage, but aside of those comments on Polygon, and a thread or two on reddit(they didn't even start the drama), I didn't see anything else.
Okay then:
kingdomcomesjwgamingpp3s0f.jpg

Btw. also a "great" thread following this: https://forum.waypoint.vice.com/t/w...om-come-deliverance-lets-talk-about-why/12942

I listened to part of that podcast. Jesus F. Christ these people are insufferable cunts.

Elex

Arbiter
Shouldn't you stop playing, if you hate it so much?

I'm undecided on the balance, so far. I don't really want KCD to have more 'epic' stuff, so I'm totally fine with gathering a bunch of crap for the lady. The real question is from a gameplay point of view. The hare hunt or the horse that bolted, as menial as they may be, were actually highlights for me, because they are good examples of how the game systems and quest design encourage you to explore and experience the forest, the game, the archery, the navigation, etc. as an actual medieval peasant/squire/mercenary might. But the whole game can't be full of that, or that quality is going to wear off and then it is going to feel like any other fedex quest. So it really depends for me on how the mix is 20-30 hours in.

No cause I paid money and can't refund after playing so much, so there's that. And yes the game is brimming with fetch quests to the point that I'm already starting to ignore them because it's just a big waste of time just to see a small boring cutscene of a peasant thanking me for menial crap I did for him. The only thing worthwhile in this game is the main story which has some nice action here and there, but replaying the side quests in the future? Never.
in mom voice: “Henry, you are not a child anymore, you should stop dreaming of adventures and knight tales, you are not a hero, people will pay you for do boring stuff, not for have fun”

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom