Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random JRPG News Thread

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Announcements from NISA press event. Get ready for disappointments?

Don't!

New title announcements
  • Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk (PC, PS4, Switch) - Fall - Steam page
  • Touhou Genso Wanderer Reloaded (PS4, Switch) - 2018
  • The Lost Child (PS4, PSV) - Summer
  • Assault Spy (PC) - May - Steam page
Switch port announcements
  • Fallen Legion: Rise to Glory - May 29 (NA), June 1 (EU)
  • Happy Birthdays (Birthdays the Beginning) - Summer
Release date announcements
  • The 25th Ward: The Silver Case (PC, PS4) - March 13 (NA), March 16 (EU) - Steam page
  • Penny-Punching Princess (PSV, Switch) - April 4 (NA), March 30 (EU) - delay

Oh, there was no announcement about Metal Max Xeno.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Ghostlight's next (potential) PC release is "a rather interesting looking dungeon crawler"

Does this mean Labyrinth of Refrain's PC port was outsourced to Ghostlight?

I hope so. I've been waiting on this game for a long time now and they've already said that they are going to make a sequel if they haven't started already. My other guess/hope would be that they are porting The Lost Child, a sequel to the cult classic El Shaddai. TLC is a Shin Megami Tensei-esque FPP dungeon crawler (you capture angels and demons into your party).

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Ghostlight's next (potential) PC release is "a rather interesting looking dungeon crawler"

Does this mean Labyrinth of Refrain's PC port was outsourced to Ghostlight?

I'm not sure. "I'm not positive we've actually signed it yet" when even they have the first build of PC version sounds like more of a publishing deal than outsourcing to me. Also if that's the case I think the Ghostlight guy would have not wrote that it's 'their' release.

For Coven, I think one of the reasons NIS doing PC port of it is that it's not a graphically demanding game even compared to, say, Witch And The Hundred Knight 2. So relatively easy and safe to port!

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

$40... NISA you know what else is $40? Trails of Cold Steel 2

Seems worth it (Saw these on ResetEra):
This is in about 15-20 minutes of gameplay. There were more spelling errors other than these, but so far it just seems very low effort. NISA strikes again? There might not be any more spelling issues past here for all I know, but this has annoyed me enough to refund it until they fix the game.
RPn2M5U.png

S9YHt8S.png

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
How the fuck does shit like that happen? You could spend less than the price of the game and get some random half-literate hobo to proofread that shit. Hell, at least run it through spell check.

:keepmyjewgold:

Vorark

Erudite
What happened to Japanese games localization? It was abysmal during SNES-PS1 era, got good enough during the PS2 and DS/PSP era. Then, instead of improving it seems to have... regressed? Bizarre. I've read even Atlus USA, which used to be the gold standard, have dropped the ball lately.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's funny to note that this one is definitely Disgaea (or just Nippon Ichi in general) inspired, instead of Fire Emblem.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Another turn-based Touhou fangame from Japan, but without English support:

Oh, this is from the developer of this game:

Magic scroll tactics, a japanese indie sidescrolling TRPG currently in development, just got its demo translated.

The demo is actually not 100% translated but it's playable and very promising, the game is fun, it's really cool that the game is getting a translation.

They moved the demo page btw: https://poppyworks.itch.io/magic-scroll-tactics

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Oh, nice, it may get translated too then.

I'm following the development of Magic Scroll Tactics a bit, they just had an open alpha testing but players only had something like one week to give feedback so I guess they were only testing one encounter or something.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Artifact Adventure (Codex thread), an indie JRPG focused on C&C, is getting a spin-off. It is named literally Artifact Adventure Gaiden. It uses Game Boy aesthetics and combat is now side-scrolling action:

Out now.

Apparently the developer put Artifact Adventure 2 (with turn-based combat unlike this spin-off) on hold last year, and started working on a new open world, party-based RPG code-named Project Circle:

Heh, he's working on a color version, dubbed Artifact Adventure Gaiden DX:

Also more pics from his new game Project Circle:

He says you can change hats. Steam was a bad influence on him, I see!

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Well, let aside SEGA's questionable selection of games to release on Steam :M, interesting that PC version is developed by a Japanese company O-TWO inc.. They have experience with multiple Steam releases, but AFAIK never did SEGA's PC port before.

I hope this means other port houses did Bayonetta and Valkyria are busy porting other SEGA titles.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
New game by the creator of original Harvest Moon series: https://gematsu.com/2018/02/aksys-g...-wada-announce-little-dragons-cafe-ps4-switch

Aksys Games and Bokujou Monogatari creator Yasuhiro Wada announce Little Dragons Cafe for PS4, Switch

Aksys Games and Bokujou Monogatari series creator Yasuhiro Wada has announced Little Dragons Cafe for PlayStation 4 and Switch. It will launch in late summer.

Here is an overview of the game, via Aksys Games:

About

The story opens with a twin brother and sister learning to cook and manage a small café under their mother’s tutelage. All was peaceful and routine until one morning when the twins discover that their mother has fallen into a deep sleep and won’t wake up. Suddenly, a strange old man appears to inform them that they must raise a dragon in order to save her. Working together with three quirky café employees, the two siblings must figure out how to a wrangle a dragon and manage the family business while finding a way to save their mother.

Key Features
  • Dragon Husbandry – Embrace your parental instincts and raise your very own dragon! Through wise decisions, proper nutrition, and empathetic nurturing show the world the true potential of your dragon companion!
  • Culinary Capitalism – Learn new recipes and master the art of cooking while running your very own café. Explore the world, discover new ingredients, and expand your menu (and your restaurant) while catering to the whims of your customers.
  • Grow Your Own – The tastiest dishes use the freshest ingredients, and the best way to insure that is to grow your own produce. Till the land and fish the rivers to gather the most flavorful fixings for your signature dishes.
  • Serve the People – Feeding is nurturing, so you not only cook for your neighbors, but also help them with their problems to increase your popularity and the general happiness of everyone around you.

I still sometimes confuse Aksys Games and Arc System Works. Probably more so in this case since Arc System Works published this creator's previous game.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
The Sword Bullet Online thing is out now:

Weirdly enough its early players count is higher than Metal Gear Survive and Crytek's new game. China?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://gematsu.com/2017/12/spike-chunsoft-establishes-north-american-subsidiary

North American branch to publish Spike Chunsoft and MAGES. titles.

Spike Chunsoft Co., Ltd., the Japan-based game developer and publisher of the Danganronpa series and more, has established a wholly owned North American subsidiary in Long Beach, California called Spike Chunsoft, Inc. that will serve as a base of operations for its global publishing and localization strategy, the company announced.

Spike Chunsoft, Inc. will serve as a global publisher for titles developed by Spike Chunsoft in addition to projects developed by 5pb. parent company MAGES. Inc. under a newly formed partnership.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://gematsu.com/2018/02/alliance-alive-demo-now-available-north-america-launches-march-1-europe
In the demo, you’ll be able to experience the very first steps of Galil and Azura’s adventure as they set out from The Rain Realm in search of a blue sky and get a taste of The Alliance Alive’s unique turn-based battle system. Additionally, if you complete the demo, you’ll earn a bonus of up to 4,000 Talent Points to help build up your characters’ abilities quickly once you start your adventure in the full game!

https://gematsu.com/2018/02/yakuza-6-song-life-demo-now-available-west
How far will you go for family? Hoping to quietly settle down after a brief stint in prison, reformed yakuza Kazuma Kiryu returns to find danger surrounding the lives of those he values most.
It's a fairly meaty demo and you can save your progress and play from there in the full game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom