Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Why has my preference in classes changed?

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
When I was younger I always played some kind of mage or sorcerer in various RPG. (and occasionally the sneaky rogue types). Flinging fireballs, summoning shit, and freezing time gave me great pleasure.

But now that I'm older I no longer desire playing as a squishy mage but instead prefer some kind of warrior.

Baldur's Gate, Dark Souls, jRPGs, etc

Doesn't matter.

Why?

Gregz

Arcane
Back in the day mage at level 5 with Fireball was the super game changer...now everything is
rating_sawyer.gif

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
In the old days, Warriors started out reasonably powerful, and added better armor, weapons, and hit points, but never improved dramatically. Wizards started out for shit then became gods.

Now, games have straight line progression for all classes. Wizard starts out at 1st level with 1st level powerball, then at level 5 can put a point into powerball, or put a point into snowball(!). So, at the end of the day, wizards and warriors do a similar amount of damage and progress at the same rate. This is so players don't bitch about hobbled classes because of the players inability to deal with adversity/live with their poor choices (see: Pathfinder)

At the end of the day, you play warrior because they can use more random drops than wizards or other classes.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
When I was younger I always played some kind of mage or sorcerer in various RPG. (and occasionally the sneaky rogue types). Flinging fireballs, summoning shit, and freezing time gave me great pleasure.

But now that I'm older I no longer desire playing as a squishy mage but instead prefer some kind of warrior.

Baldur's Gate, Dark Souls, jRPGs, etc

Doesn't matter.

Why?
Because mages are so powerful that they trivialize the world around them, and thus your victories come to you with minimal effort.
That which is easily won is not worth having.
You're not the only one
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/anybody-else-hates-playing-mage-classes.43214/

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ges-are-actually-the-dumb-class.113935/page-2

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas

When you were but a wee basement dweller playing videia instead of fooootball you imagined that your (obvious) deficiencies in physical abilities was compensated by your (debatable) intellectual advantages thus you played a class where intelligence was favored. As you have aged you have realized that you are (obviously) not more intelligent than the rest of humanity and thus you embrace the lumbering thug as your ideal persona.

Elex

Arbiter
you should try paladin/cleric-selfbuffer(druid)

is the next step.

remember to avoid the “priest” style healer and always going for the armored melee version.

avoid ranged weapon, you have magic for that.

self buff and go smash stuff.

also you generally have all the tools for deal with the worst enemes of the setting that can rape other classes.

watch you for the midlife crisis: don’t play assassin/ninja dagger/katana characters, it’s a trap.

remember with age come wisdom.

Mark Richard

Arcane
In the old days, Warriors started out reasonably powerful, and added better armor, weapons, and hit points, but never improved dramatically. Wizards started out for shit then became gods.

Now, games have straight line progression for all classes. Wizard starts out at 1st level with 1st level powerball, then at level 5 can put a point into powerball, or put a point into snowball(!). So, at the end of the day, wizards and warriors do a similar amount of damage and progress at the same rate. This is so players don't bitch about hobbled classes because of the players inability to deal with adversity/live with their poor choices (see: Pathfinder)

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Always played warrior, paladin first if it was available (i made a paladin in Dark Souls even).

I'm not gonna even attempt to offer a psychological explanation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom