Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Poll: Grinding

How much do you grind in CRPGs?

• My whole strategy depends on being able to grind.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Often.

Votes: 9 9.7%
  • Rarely.

Votes: 49 52.7%
  • Never. Resorting to grinding is like admitting defeat.

Votes: 21 22.6%
  • I just hex edit my characters instead.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I get my wife to grind for me.

Votes: 8 8.6%

• Total voters

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
What fucking games are you playing that can be labeled as crpgs and have grinding? Please list these grind crpgs so I can know what you are talking about.
All the Infinity Engine games, for one.
Grimrock.
All the Witcher games.
Practically every single ARPG.
Fallout 1, 2, Tactics - probably FO3 & New Vegas too, but I don't remember how/if things respawn.

Seriously Roqua, there's tons of fucking RPG:s in which you can potentially grind with ease. Don't be such a fucking retard.

Than I must have a very different understanding of Grinding. Grinding is a pure JRPG/MMO/Popamole thing, not seen in true CRPGs. Especially in the Infinity Engine games with (mostly) fixed encounters. Clearing out the map and all quests isn't grinding. Grinding is farming the same area over and over again for random encounters. Which is soul crushingly boring.
Again, there's a difference between being able to grind and a game being made for grinding. JRPG/MMO:s are made for grinding, and it's soul-crushingly boring. However, you can absolutely grind in many RPG:s, and there are people that do it.

Want to grind in the IE games? Hit that sleep button, over and over and over and over again.
Want to grind in Fallout 2/Tactics? Start traveling for random encounters and just slosh muppets.
Want to grind in practically any ARPG? Fuck, boss runs are almost by definition grinds, made for people that enjoy that particular kind of grinding.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
If we mean by grinding, deliberately repeating combat encounters to improve your stats/gear, then basically never, now.

I used to do it every now and then, enticed by the promise of optimising your characters or the OCD of not missing out on that sword. Then I realised what the fuck is the point of forcing yourself to 'play' utterly unenjoyable grind, just for the payoff of making your actual leisure time marginally more entertaining?

Not to mention, with the kind of difficulty curve most CRPGs have, it's actually more fun to roll with unoptimised parties.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
All the Infinity Engine games, for one.
Grimrock.
All the Witcher games.
Practically every single ARPG.
Fallout 1, 2, Tactics - probably FO3 & New Vegas too, but I don't remember how/if things respawn.

Seriously Roqua, there's tons of fucking RPG:s in which you can potentially grind with ease. Don't be such a fucking retard.

Arpgs are not crpgs, and Witcher and the fake Fall Outs aren't either. Grimrock is a dungeon crawler with no content and not a crpg. You have two games that came out in the 90s listed that are actual crpgs. And grinding is not necessary in them and will cause you to lose the game. Hell, I lose FO2 all the time without grinding and just trying to get through the content because of the fucking timer.

So, you are saying the poll should say - What old crpgs do you grind in when you replay them?

The poll creator is not an rpg fan and has stated she has purchased no games since the rpg renaissance. So if she isn't lying she obviously doesn't like rpg enough to buy them, but most likely is lying and buys tons of jrpgs and console trash for retarded kids where grinding is a key mechanic.

Seriously Luckman, there's no fucking crpgs in the last 15 years in which you can potentially grind with ease. Don't be such a fucking retard.

You can grind in ToEE by abusing the rest mechanic, but only retards do it and it is an exploit and not a key component of the game. Take any valid crpg game in the last 15 years, from MMX to Underrail, any of the spiderweb games - grinding is mot a feature or needed, and even if it is possible it is only something retards do. Jrpgs and console games for retards and kids use it as a core feature - even to the extent of having dungeon difficulty and redoing dungeons as a fucking feature for retards with shit taste and no brain.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
[...]

Seriously Luckman, there's no fucking crpgs in the last 15 years in which you can potentially grind with ease. Don't be such a fucking retard.

[...]
According to you, there barely are any fucking CRPG:s in the last 15 years, but since I know you harp on that fucking shitshow that is Wasteland 2 - you can easily grind in Wasteland 2.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
[...]

[...]
According to you, there barely are any fucking CRPG:s in the last 15 years, but since I know you harp on that fucking shitshow that is Wasteland 2 - you can easily grind in Wasteland 2.

There have been tons of crpgs in the last 15 years, mostly in the last 5. Only a retard would grind in WL2. You get way more than enough levels with the regular content. If anything I think the game would be much better with a lvl cap of 20.

And I don't know why you'd be mad at me for understanding what is and isn't a crpg - that is your issue for thinking console games and arpgs are. I guess Lionheart blurred the line and can fall into both categories, but most certainly don't.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Want to grind in practically any RPG? Fuck, boss runs are almost by definition grinds, made for people that enjoy that particular kind of grinding.

What rpgs have boss runs other than MMORPGS?

Edit -Are you the lady that started this thread/poll?

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
What fucking games are you playing that can be labeled as crpgs and have grinding? Please list these grind crpgs so I can know what you are talking about.
Might and Magic 1 and 2, for starters.
Bard's Tale.
Eye of the Beholder 2, that yugoloths' lever.
Daggerfall and Arena technically are endless grind due to resetting dungeons. Etc.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Want to grind in practically any RPG? Fuck, boss runs are almost by definition grinds, made for people that enjoy that particular kind of grinding.

Edit -Are you the lady that started this thread/poll?

You must be the world's happiest person. After all, ignorance is bliss.

If you say so. How am I ignorant again? By being right? I'm not sure you know what the word means.

Might and Magic 1 and 2, for starters.
Bard's Tale.
Eye of the Beholder 2, that yugoloths' lever.
Daggerfall and Arena technically are endless grind due to resetting dungeons. Etc.

So games made in the 80s and early 90s (besides Daggerfall). I can name a million more from the decade crpgs started. Hell, I can even think of some recent ones - like Grimoire and Xeluma. But only idiots like Octavius-Luckman think this is anything intrinsic enough in crpgs to make a post specifically about grinding in Crpgs, not the broader rpg genre which would include the game's she likes - like jrpgs and console shit games for retards. Outside of the first of decade and a little of the next of the four they've been around, and not even standard the last 1/3rd of decade and a little, grinding in crpgs has not been a feature, focus, or remotely necessary.

Only a retard would grind in WL2.
Completely beside the point. Christ, you are such a fucking idiot, Roqua.
Every single ARPG, which I was very clear with, but apparently you're too much of a fucking idiot to possess even basic reading comprehension.

I am almost certain you and the lady that made the poll are the same person. I guess your next argument will be plenty of crpgs have dress-up like the filthy console game ports for retards and retarded kids I see on steam with 100s of DLC of dresses and naughty outfits for children characters.

And nice going editing your post and changing rpg to arpg, but I quoted you exactly and you sure the fuck said rpg and then edited and just straight up lied like a pussy ass child. What a fucking loser. "Someone called me out! Let me edit my post and then have a hissy fit to make it seem like I know what I'm talking about! No one is as smart as me so they'll never find out!" If you fucking retards listened to me you'd know. I'm no genius, but comparatively I am to you, you fucking moron. Holy shit, you're one stupid child.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Sorry baby, but I don't follow your blog. The last time I read your blog was February 2nd.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom