Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

History of Ion Storm feature in PC Gamer

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Part One:

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
"The core idea of an Immersive Sim is the player is able to use game systems creatively...[insert talk of LAM climbing]"?

Oh so I guess immersion/immersive design is not so core? Simulated systems resulting in natural and intuitive (non-creative) interactions isn't either. Nope. It was all about the player coming up with cunning solutions that may or may not break the game, and that's all it ever was at its core.
Seriously. The LAM climbing is a glitch. It's a terrible example of emergent gameplay. And glitches of that calibre often emerged in hundreds of other games, many that feature a completely different design approach, come on. It's gotten out of hand now.

"The prioritisation of the Xbox meant that environments had to be limited in size".

Wrong. It was the prioritisation of sleek awsum graphics and desire to cash in that hurt IW first and foremost, graphics and cashing in never being a priority before for games like this. You do know they fit Morrowind's HUGE world onto the original xbox, right? And without quite so awful loading screens? Typical scapegoating.

Goddamn these things continually make me bitch, and I only skimmed it very briskly. I'll just stop reading any has-been drivel from now on, because the devs are legends and I have too much respect for them to continually oppose them.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
But in terms of what the developers had planned, the game that came out most compromised from under Spector's watch was Thief: Deadly Shadows.

Originally Deady Shadows was meant to be twice as long. Every level designer was asked to design two levels for the game, but they were all asked early on to scrap one of those levels.

The freely-explorable city Deadly Shadows introduced was intended to be many times larger than it appears in the final game. Emil Pagliarulo, the designer who created Thief 2's famoue "Life of the Party" mission had "a legendary build-out geometry of what the docks might have been. And it was almost 100% scrapped by the time we were finished."

The reason behind this ruthless cutting-down was partly to do with the console focus. But equally significant was that the studio went against its own mantra, and began developing its own technology. For both Invisible War and Deadly Shadows, Ion Storm Austin created a custom shadow renderer that could project real-time shadows from every character and object.

"It was a combination of videogame technologial sort-of one-upmanship early on, combined with an imagined notion that real-time shadows would lead to dynanism in gameplay scenarios that Thief 2 couldn't deliver. The fantasy of what we would do when the shadow of a pillar would truly move, and you could stay inside that shadow as the guard with the torch crossed through a room with thick enough columns, it sounded really good on paper."

But the combination of this advanced renderer and the limited power of the Xbox meant that huge swathes of the game had to be cut down to get it in. "It ended up being one of the decisions that most of the team felt was a massive mistake. The city sections, good gravy, we reduced those to almost nothing."

Oh the irony.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That Bob White who led Deus Ex's "Ultima roleplaying team" is the same Bob White of Ultima IX's "Bob White plot", the topic of my very first post on the Codex. I had no idea.

Ash

Arcane
He designed at least half of the New York levels in Deus Ex.

Fairfax

Arcane
Good read, though I wish it had more details on Anachronox's development.

If they compare our roleplaying elements to Neverwinter Nights (which was the big RPG at that time), we’re dead.
That was 2 years before NWN's release. I guess it was supposed to be BG2?

But the combination of this advanced renderer (which beat Doom 3 for real-time shadows by about a year) and the limited power of the Xbox meant that huge swathes of the game had to be cut down to get it in.
Pretty sure multiple games had real-time shadows before Thief 3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom