Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dynasty Warriors 9 - massacre in China continues + Empires announced

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
So the worst case scenario is coming true. If they screw up the open world aspect we'll have another DW6 on our hands.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
One of my dream games would actually be Operation Europe: Warriors. As outlandish and outrageous as possible, I'm talking like playable Winston Churchill who personally fights off thousands of Germans using a bottle of booze, a lit cigar, a tommy gun and a bulldog. With Raoh-looking von Manstein for nazi Lu Bu.

I LOVE these games, have been playing since DW3, but the more I look, the worse DW9 seems to be. Making it open-world sounds cool, but from what has been show all that happened is that we lost carefully crafted battles and events in favour of A LOT of down time walking across the map or hunting small enemy forces - over and over again.
So sort of like Bladestorm in that respect, you'd think they'd have learned that thing there that generic small battles in a huge but flat and open map aren't quite as interesting as ones where shortcuts and restricted routes add a little bit of extra. I'm most into the Empires games out of the Warriors games, but they really do show how a more route-restricted map comes to play in the interplay of the larger battle and the massacre the player is embarked on. Lopsided (usually defensive) battles in Empires are about the most fun I've had in Warriors games, which is something those titles consistently deliver on, and what makes those work is that you do need to pay just the right amount of attention to commanding your goons posture and movements on a general or individual level to make sure you don't end up completely fucked over.

kalganoat

Savant
Koei made an open world game before called toukiden 2 and the open world implementation in that game sucked hard. I honestly don't think they have what it takes to pull this off.

Either way it's better to wait for the Xtreme legends. They just got the rights back from Capcom so they can make it again. Who knows maybe they will fix some of the weapon cloning.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Available on Steam now:

Dunno about the details (since I've never been a Musou fan) I heard this is pretty crappy in many ways. Also it sounds like the performance on PS4 is pretty awful (sub-20 fps?) even with graphics it has.

Deflowerer

Arcane
I've seen some footage and while it looks janky as fuck, I must say the idea of running around in Three Kingdoms China is just too tempting, so I'll probably get it. Plus jank is actually a good thing.

flyingjohn

Arcane

Wow if the biggest fan boy of the series hates this,well it is beyond hope.

edit:For anybody wanting some quick impressions from reddit:
have been a life long fan of the Musou series, having played the games since I was five and have played nearly every Musou game there is. Simply put, it would be against my conscience to recommend this game to anyone. It's simply the worst Musou game there is, unlike like Dynasty Warriors 6 ,which I previously considered the worst entry in the series, this entry has little redeeming qualities or features I'd want in a future Musou game (assuming I still want to support this piece of shit of a company).

So first thing, the performance is absolutely jackshit. I have a PS4 Pro in performance mode and it still dips below 30 extremely frequently, and it's apparently even worse on the regular PS4.

The open world lacks details and looks really bad. Things look like dogshit at a distance, and environments all look considerably worse than older games but that's due to it being open world. There's a lot of shimmering and it's especially obvious when you climb onto a lookout tower and the camera pans around showing off the game's nothingness. Sometimes the terrain and building details can probably be fooled for a PS3 era game. Not only that the map is also extremely empty, and feels dead with NPCs mostly standing or running into walls. Unlike Ubisoft games or just any other open world game the filler contents aren't of considerable quality, you just go to X place and kill certain enemies.

The movement system also feels worse imo and the horse feels very floaty to control compared to older games, there is also a auto pathing system but it's just shit, often times it'll just lead you into a wall or something. Camera also feels worse for me personally but that might be a nitpick. Crafting is an important part of progression but getting the materials to do that means you'll need to actually run around the world and pick up mats that are lying on the ground and farm certain enemies that spawn in the open world.

The combat is the dumbest the series has ever had. You don't get the traditional press X number of square and chain into a special attack with triangle. Instead you perform 3 different CC moves and a character special with R1 + one of the face buttons, square attack is closer to DW6 where you press it and it chains endlessly. Essentially you just do CC and chain with square, and press triangle when prompted to perform an arkham style counter that just executes the enemy. It's very braindead and some might like it but I certainly don't.

It also doesn't help that the AI is absolutely dogshit. I played on the highest difficulty with a blank slate character and I can just get through anything by perma CCing the enemy and comboing them, and one shotting by pressing triangle when prompted, only problem is their extremely bloated health making it extremely time consuming to kill them. Special enemies that have aura can't be CCed but the AI is so bad even on the highest difficulty most of what they do when attacked is just block, you can cheese them easily by disabling their aura and chain CC them to death or just spam Musou since you can buy consumables that refill Musou meter. Soldiers have zero presence what so ever, opting to just stand still most of the time. There is a bow system but it's extremely half-assed with a terrible control scheme and inability to move while shooting. The battles really don't give me the feel of a battle tbh. You have side objectives that just lower the levels of enemies in the main objective. All objectives are essentially go here kill someone. You never really get the feel of actually fighting a battle because you can just run straight to the target and kill them. Sieges are a joke because you can just use the grappling hook to climb over anything and go for the target, making all the "different ways to tackle a battle" they advertised pointless. There are certain forced stealth sequences but they don't really work due to wonky AI and detection system, but thankfully can be cheesed with the grappling hook.

No matter what you do you never escape the Musou gameplay loop, and the open world just makes it worse. Enemies are scattered across the map at checkpoints and cities, so if you want to even enjoy mowing people down you have to endure a lot of running around and it disrupts the flow of the game a lot.

Last but not least the game is incredibly buggy. A lot of people have encountered bugs where the models in the game just break and a bunch of grey stuff protrude out of models. Officers sometimes get stuck in other models and shit like that. Some cutscenes break and doesn't work at all forcing me to just skip them. I personally also encountered a bug where I'm essentially stuck in an endless loop of reload-> objective failed->reload->objective failed.

Overall, I can't recommend this game to anyone, no matter new comers to the series or decade old veterans. This is a marvelous example of how blindly chasing the open world trend is butt fucking retarded and can prove detrimental to your game. Koei Tecmo doesn't have the budget of triple A publishers, the technical prowess, nor the manpower to not fuck up an open world game, scaling back on the scale of the game sometimes is just a so much better option. I hope Koei Tecmo die and burn in flames, they have fucked up their classic strategy IPs over the past few years, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Nobunaga's Ambitions, Uncharted Waters, Eiketsuden, and now Musou, pretty much the only thing keeping them relevant in the current age. This company is just slowly burning all the series that made it what is it now, and I urge you all to stop supporting their bullshit.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
On steam almost every review is negative. Mainly because it runs like shit. Sooo now which was better dynasty warriors 8 Xtream legends or dynasty warriors 8 empire ?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Looks like there's also yet another angry Chinese review bombing is in progress, due to the lack of Chinese localization. Apparently Koei made it exclusive to non-Steam local publisher.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Those japs really know how to run businesses in the ground. I do get it when they decide to take it up the ass because of nationalism,but some times it just doesn't make any sense. For example SW4 II goes to pc but SW4 doesn't...the fuck is the logic here?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Hahaha just finished the first mission with cao cao,it only took me 6 hours and a half. Yeah the game is shit,had to play on very easy because of how spongy the basic enemy are. Also the game runs like shit on pc, if i see more than 20 pions in one place it becomes Max Pain's slowmotion. Battles are pretty boring because the basic enemy captains are slow to kill and you only have a few officers. The game is total shit,oh and it have Asscreed towers :) .

btbgfel

Scholar
Looks like there's also yet another angry Chinese review bombing is in progress, due to the lack of Chinese localization. Apparently Koei made it exclusive to non-Steam local publisher.
From what I gathered, it's bombed because Chinese localization is ingame. Voiceovers, subtitles, just hidden, both can be accessed by tweaking a few entries in register table, while koei claiming it's not supported.And when Koei released first patch, ingoring some more urgent problems like poor optimization, they chose to patch chinese localization out of the game instead.

Edit: Looks like hidden japanese subtitles are removed as well.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Jesus fuck, I don't even feel bad for them then. Whoever made that decision needs to work on their sudoku.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
According to SteamDB rating system (a bit different with Steam's rating system), now this is the third worst rated game of all on Steam, behind Flatout 3 and Fray:

FwNJXs5.png

Talking about great PR. If they were clever they should have region locked China before all this. That may have caused smaller review bombings to other Koei games, but I think it would be better than this situation right now. (Or better yet, just don't do something exclusive deals like that.)

Last edited:

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Watching that video, it looks like a worse version of Bladestorm where you instead have a character instead of a cadre of goons (incidentally that's something I always disliked about Bladestorm, having unique and weird characters and weapons is way preferable).

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Bladestorm had some interesting units, but they take a while to unlock and sadly all that really matters is level, so the optimal way to play is just max out a squad of knife guys and spam their ranged attacks and speed buffs.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The game really runs like shit,now i play kingdom come on low/medium and have no real problems,while DW9 was 10times uglier and less heavy on my video card and played like total shit with fps down to 5 when there are a lot of pions.

Rolo

Literate
One hundred characters and no coop? Give me a fucking break. Split-screen was the only redeeming factor in this piece of shit series.

If you want a solo genocide game that is not terrible, fire up your old Xbox and try Kingdom under Fire (The Crusaders and Heroes).

The gap in quality is so gigantic you cannot even make fun of it. People compared KuF to Warriors even though to me Warriors has always been the poor man's KuF.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Now they'll bring back Chinese and Japanese localization:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom