Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Beamdog's Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Source no (and even if I had one I wouldn't be at liberty to reveal it), but so far Beamdog has not denied it and it's the only explanation for GOG's behaviour. Why would they remove the best selling game from their catalogue and enrage GOG users? The "Do not remove the original Planescape Torment from the store" has been the most popular wish on GOG wishlist for 3 months now.

Anyway, Beamdog just dumped this PR talk in some remote part of the forums and that's all we've seen them, they won't even bother to respond here or here.

Last edited by a moderator:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Joint decision lol. Joint in PR-speak means "only one party had anything to say and the other had to comply".

As if the copyright holders told them to remove the games GOG could've said "no".

Deleted member 7219

So has anyone played this and spotted any changes to the writing?

I watched a bit of someone's playthrough on YouTube and Beamdog seem to have disabled the character-specific themes that play when you talk to a companion, or during other appropriate moments (e.g. when the game starts and you wake up in the Mortuary, the Nameless One's theme would start playing). Now the regular area music just plays during those moments.

Wait, what the fucking fuck? Does this mean Deinoarra's Theme doesn't play?

Athelas

Arcane
So has anyone played this and spotted any changes to the writing?

I watched a bit of someone's playthrough on YouTube and Beamdog seem to have disabled the character-specific themes that play when you talk to a companion, or during other appropriate moments (e.g. when the game starts and you wake up in the Mortuary, the Nameless One's theme would start playing). Now the regular area music just plays during those moments.

Wait, what the fucking fuck? Does this mean Deinoarra's Theme doesn't play?
Nah, it plays, just the companion themes don't seem to play when you talk to them.

Incidentally, I also watched someone play through the Fortress of Regrets. The cutscenes don't seem to pause the game, so TNO kept dying while the cutscenes of the companions were playing because shadows walked up to him and killed him in the background. You can even hear TNO grunting as he's getting hit while the cutscene plays.
:prosper:

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Incidentally, I also watched someone play through the Fortress of Regrets. The cutscenes don't seem to pause the game, so TNO kept dying while the cutscenes of the companions were playing because shadows walked up to him and killed him in the background. You can even hear TNO grunting as he's getting hit while the cutscene plays.
I can confirm that there is indeed a slight lag to these cutscenes, I managed to die once thanks to it.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Fuck those Beamdog hackjobs and fuck everyone who bought this piece of shit EE.
Fuck you maybe?

Yeah it's not perfect, but it runs way better than the original. Normal people won't bother installing a dozen mods and a DDraw wrapper to make an old game playable.

I'll say this again, if this was a free open source engine recreation, you'd all be singing praises to whoever made it possible.

Cross

Arcane
The one thing Beamdog could have done to actually improve PS:T would be importing the spells from BG and IWD into the game and improving the encounter design. But apparently they thought it much more pertinent to downgrade the interface art and re-introduce bugs that were patched out more than a decade ago.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I haven't played this game in a long long time.

I imagine this EE is bad, but what is the optimum playthrough then? Is there a restoration patch like killap's for fallout?

Any graphics enhancements or otherwise?

I need a gud guide :(

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
They just released a fully functional unfinished business mod for EE, looks like the game is finally complete and playable with high res displays.

https://github.com/Argent77/PST-UB-reloaded/releases/tag/v1.0

There is already high resolution patch with ui made for it.

Yeah, but is not even enough for 1440p screens with the biggest font size. I tried to play it on a 1080p 13" laptop and on a 1440p 27" multiple times and on every single try I stopped playing after some hours because it was a torture. I am not even starting to talk about super high dpi screens like 4K laptops. Also the mod doesn't scale the zoom of the game making everything look like fucking ants.

Vanilla version wasn't playable comfortably anymore on modern systems since long time ago.

Hate whatever you want, but EE versions have been a lifesaver for this games.

Last edited:

roll-a-die

Magister
I haven't played this game in a long long time.

I imagine this EE is bad, but what is the optimum playthrough then? Is there a restoration patch like killap's for fallout?

Any graphics enhancements or otherwise?

I need a gud guide :(
I have tried to play both the EE and the modded original in recent times. I'm currently trying to play the EE version, and am going to be playing it on a cross country drive. The differences between the EE and the Original are essentially:

EE has text that is readable for me who is going near blind, on monitors and a tablet at 1920x1080 resolutions. The original requires significant configuration to achieve close to this level of readability. And doesn't allow you to swap on the fly.

The EE has an interface that looks professional. The modded interface does some strange things like placing panels at lower res within a border of higher res fanart essentially. I'd rank the EE UI as much better than the non-EE ui. http://thunderpeel2001.blogspot.com/2009/01/planescape-torment-fully-modded.html There's a link to the mod guide I used when I installed it. Note that you'll probably want to make sure nothings been updated. As this guide is old in internet terms. This link is also supposedly good. https://af.gog.com/news/mod_spotlight_planescape_torment_mods_guide?as=1649904300

The EE team brought in MCA for contract work to re-edit the script a bit. Not sure on the changes he made, but they've supposedly left in certain typos that had become Memetic. Beyond that I don't care to browse through this 85 page thread and find a post where someone has assuredly broken down each and every change. I do note that Morte is still a horndog, and very not PC in the modern sense. So they obviously haven't made many big changes to characters or anything that I've seen so far.

The client doesn't flicker layered windows through the interfaces with the EE installed on modern OS'. Something that with significant effort on the old school version I could avoid. But I'd have to literally close EVERYTHING and hide all my icons to avoid having happen.

You can actually use windowed mode without the game breaking in EE.

EE has a proper combat log.

EE has Journal Search. Just journal search, this is a feature I didn't even know I needed until I got out of the mortuary and started trying to find some things in the journal. Only to realize I'd have to scroll through 50 or so unrelated topics. If the original had this, I dunno, but it is helpful, and I never noticed it in the original.

Last edited by a moderator:

gruntar

Augur
Also EE replaced Black Isle logo with Beamdog logo, so every newfag playing it is going to think that Beamdog developed it. That's so scummy move that I can't get over it.

roll-a-die

Magister
Also EE replaced Black Isle logo with Beamdog logo, so every newfag playing it is going to think that Beamdog developed it. That's so scummy move that I can't get over it.
As far as I'm aware that's because the Black Isle logo is trademarked by Interplay and thus isn't able to be displayed in products unlicensed by Interplay/Black Isle.

Searching the steam forums, leads me to understand that there's something legally going on, from Wizards of the Coast particularly. The reason bethesda mentioned interplay/black isle at all in FO1/2 is that they didn't revamp the game much. And they wholey own the license, planescape is dungeons and dragons. It's quite likely that the Wizards/Hasbro's legal department didn't want to track down whoever owned the trademark for Black Isle and get further rights for the remake to use their trademarking.

EDIT 2:So in essence, it seems like the lack of a logo is not intentional on their part. I dunno why people seem determined to hate on beamdog on this product, pretty much every other product they've put out has been worsened in some way, except this one. They've done some scummy shit, but really, not including a logo that isn't their own companies is pretty much the least of the shitty scummy things they've done with other products. It feels like those people who are bitching about a logo are motivated less by flaws in the product and more by contempt for the company. And thus it is biasing their perspectives on this product.

Last edited:

gruntar

Augur
As far as I'm aware that's because the Black Isle logo is trademarked by Interplay and thus isn't able to be displayed in products unlicensed by Interplay/Black Isle.

Searching the steam forums, leads me to understand that there's something legally going on, from Wizards of the Coast particularly. The reason bethesda mentioned interplay/black isle at all in FO1/2 is that they didn't revamp the game much. And they wholey own the license, planescape is dungeons and dragons. It's quite likely that the Wizards/Hasbro's legal department didn't want to track down whoever owned the trademark for Black Isle and get further rights for the remake to use their trademarking.

EDIT 2:So in essence, it seems like the lack of a logo is not intentional on their part. I dunno why people seem determined to hate on beamdog on this product, pretty much every other product they've put out has been worsened in some way, except this one. They've done some scummy shit, but really, not including a logo that isn't their own companies is pretty much the least of the shitty scummy things they've done with other products. It feels like those people who are bitching about a logo are motivated less by flaws in the product and more by contempt for the company. And thus it is biasing their perspectives on this product.

So, bethesda (kudos to them , wouldn't expect that) could leave BIS logo, and beamdog couldn't because of reasons ? Any proof of that ?
I don't agree with replacing logos being a minor issue, it's like replacing da Vinci signature from Mona Lisa with yours just because you dusted it out.

roll-a-die

Magister

So, bethesda (kudos to them , wouldn't expect that) could leave BIS logo, and beamdog couldn't because of reasons ? Any proof of that ?
I don't agree with replacing logos being a minor issue, it's like replacing da Vinci signature from Mona Lisa with yours just because you dusted it out.
It's being sold as a new product separate from the old. Trademark laws are weird regarding that. Bethesda isn't releasing an "Enhanced Fallout" They are releasing fallout in a collection, or on a distribution service. That is a fundamentally different situation. At least regarding trademark law.

Sorry was on the road the past 6 or so days. Didn't have a chance to respond before now.

Also Art History fact, there is no visible to the naked eye signature on the Mona Lisa, there is however the fact that he signed his initials hidden in her eye painted over and not visible to the public.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Spotted this :Mmodder drama:M today.

Straight talk, I'm steamed at Beamdog on two grounds. One was including work me and Platter6 did years ago bugfixing Planescape Torment when going in completely blind on how the game worked and only crediting the guy that picked it back up later

The other is Siege of Dragonspear

Hell I'm not even anon. My fucking name is right there. Nope they used our work and made money off it without even acknowledgement in the credits or anything. And that was at least a year out of our lives. So seriously, fuck Beamdog.
DYGuoXhW0AA_LeF.jpg

Typical Beampup thievery.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom