Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware LOL ELECTRONIC ARTS: The EA Thread

Yeah, EA have a tons of IPs, but they've let most of them waste away and I doubt Microsoft is looking to resurrect them. Microsoft themselves have a ton of IPs too, they also just don't do anything with them. Shit, if Microsoft wanted an Anthem they could just find someone to do a new Outwars; if they wanted some third person shooter sci-fi RPG like Mass Effect (Mass Effect, a series they let go) or they wanted something like Cyberpunk 2077, they could go to someone or put together a studio and do a new Shadowrun. If Microsoft isn't doing jack shit with stuff they already own, I don't really see them doing anything with EA's dead franchises.

EA is also the one big western publishers with maybe the least complementary portfolio of current games to go with Microsoft. Outside of the sports games, which at least the NFL games likely wouldn't be able to be exclusive, what are EA's games? They've got Need for Speed, but Microsoft already does two different flavors of Forza. EA has the cover shooter Mass Effect, but Microsoft owns Gears of War. EA has Titanfall & the ex-Halo guy's game that I can not remember the name of, and Microsoft has Halo. Not to say those games all play alike, but if you're going on a spending spree to get stuff to draw people into your system, you might want to end up with stuff different from what you've already got.

Last edited:

Drakron

Arcane
My guess would be Microsoft would be putting those games out on other systems like they do with Minecraft. Unless that NFL deal has changed over the years, the original deal was that EA had to release games on all the consoles.

They dont have to, Madden is not in a Nintendo console (2013 was the last one that was) and EA deciding they would not support the Dreamcast that was one of the reasons why it failed.

If MS got EA sports licenses they would make then Xbox One exclusives since that would be the only reason for then to buy EA, that would mean future NBA, Madden, FIFA and NHL would became exclusive to the Xbox One ... its not like MS would be buying EA for any other reason besides shoring up their exclusive lineup and that why that rumor is retarded, MS would never make back the cost of buying EA and there is also the question of if those licenses would be renewed as if MS would be willing to spend what would likely be about 2 billion total at each renewal.

EA didn't have the NFL exclusively when they didn't support the Dreamcast, that was back when Quarterback Club, Gameday, and 2K were still around. But yeah, there hasn't been a Madden on a Nintendo system since 13 in 2012, so maybe something about their NFL deal changed. Or maybe something about their deal said they sales were such and such they wouldn't have to support whatever platform the next go around? But back when EA got exclusive rights to the NFL in '05 part of the deal was they had to put it on everything.

EA doesn't have exclusive rights to the NBA, and they've only intermittently put out basketball games since 2010. The big basketball series now is the 2K one owned by Take-Two. They don't exclusive have the NHL either, it just seems the games don't do well enough anymore for 2K to make console versions anymore.

Microsoft still makes Minecraft for other systems. The idea that they'd buy someone up and keep making games for other systems isn't out of the question given they do that already. Even less out of the question if the licensing deals say they can't be console exclusive.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
If they are really thinking of getting EA it would be for the xbone exclusivity,which is strange seeing how they were trying to go the pc road. Of course there is the option of billy boy just wanting to make sequel to some game from his childhood and EA have the IP.

Mustawd

I am trying to tell you that financial shit is a secret in every company and you never know what it is actually going on and you just splash some basic vague shit.

EA is a public company that is required to submit audited financial statements once a year.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I am trying to tell you that financial shit is a secret in every company and you never know what it is actually going on and you just splash some basic vague shit.

EA is a public company that is required to submit audited financial statements once a year.

They should be required to submit themselves to the ocean and drown like the fucking scum they are.

They should be required to submit themselves to the ocean and drown like the fucking scum they are.

They'd just end up in the garbage patch and become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.

Drakron

Arcane
so maybe something about their NFL deal changed.

One thing changed, Origin as Nintendo doesnt allow it on their consoles ... oddly Origin is on PC and no Madden PC, also there is FIFA on PC and on the Wii so I suspect is also that Madden PC and Wii sales arent enough to make ports for then (Madden is very much just NA and likely the majority pf Madden players are in either XBox or PlayStation), I dont think the deal changed because I doubt NFL would want to tell EA how to run their businesses to such a detail, licensing just means they can use the names and logos of NFL, the teams and the likeness and names of the players, EA have the exclusive license so nobody else can do that.

Microsoft still makes Minecraft for other systems. The idea that they'd buy someone up and keep making games for other systems isn't out of the question given they do that already. Even less out of the question if the licensing deals say they can't be console exclusive.

Well that is because they arent making it but supporting it, honestly Minecraft was a odd choice that I never got but that not EA and we are talking MS buying one of the most known publisher companies for what reason? This rumor comes from the XBox division nd its about the lack of Xbox exclusives so you can draw the conclusion MS would want to buy EA for Xbox exclusives, not to just own EA.

Cael

Arcane
One thing changed, Origin as Nintendo doesnt allow it on their consoles ... oddly Origin is on PC and no Madden PC, also there is FIFA on PC and on the Wii so I suspect is also that Madden PC and Wii sales arent enough to make ports for then (Madden is very much just NA and likely the majority pf Madden players are in either XBox or PlayStation), I dont think the deal changed because I doubt NFL would want to tell EA how to run their businesses to such a detail, licensing just means they can use the names and logos of NFL, the teams and the likeness and names of the players, EA have the exclusive license so nobody else can do that.
There is only one Origin:

220px-Origin_logo_1990s.png

EA killed it. FUCK EA!

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
http://www.cinelinx.com/game-rumors...with-2-new-game-developers-for-star-wars.html

Report: Disney/LFL Talking With 2 New Game Publishers for Star Wars

If you’re unhappy with the current state of Star Wars games from EA, you may not be the only one, and we have the skinny on the two publishers Disney may be looking at to take over/supplement. Come inside for the full scoop!

Electronic Arts snagged the exclusive license deal to create and publish Star Wars games all the way back in 2013. In the time since, however, EA has struggled with the property. The first game they announced (and released), Star Wars Battlefront, suffered backlash with its lack of single-player campaign; launching with such little content that many became bored quickly. Subsequent DLC packs added a lot of great content, but by the end, everyone was waiting to see what was next.

Battle_of_Jakku.jpg

Battlefront II brought only more problems; despite making changes at the last minute, the launch was pretty rocky, and the whole debacle has brought a wave of attention down on "loot boxes" in gaming (with some Governments looking to crack down on the practice). EA's latest financial statements have shown the impact with sales down and failing to meet expectations.

Star Wars is dominating the big screen, comics, and novels once again, but it's lacking big time in the games department. While the constant stream of mobile titles have been decent enough, they don't quite scratch the itch for many gamers. Originally Lucasfilm went to EA because it was such a large company with many developers under their control; so they could potentially deliver more Star Wars games in a quicker amount of time. Five years in and only two games released (one of which is a sequel), with a couple others barely announced, the investment isn't paying off like they wanted.

Ragtag.jpg

Late last year, Visceral shut down and their long-gestating story driven, Star Wars game, codenamed "Ragtag," was scrapped (although it's assets/engine will be used for another game). This was a major blow, considering it was supposed to be EA's big Star Wars release in 2018 (which is looking barren now). With only a handful of other games currently in development but not ready to show...Fans are understandably disappointed and worried.

From what I've heard Lucasfilm is upset as well and looking for other options. I've had a couple sources reach out to me about the current state of Star Wars gaming. According to them, Disney/LFL higher ups pulled EA to the "principal's office" to talk about what's going wrong (which is what others have reported as well). Moreso, they've apparently reached out to both Ubisoft and Activision about developing Star Wars games.

maxresdefault.jpg

I know what you're thinking, because I had the same thoughts. EA has a contract for the games, exclusively. How could Disney get around that without breaching and causing more problems? I don't know all the technical aspects of it, but supposedly there's an addendum of some kind within the contract that would allow Disney to pull the license, or shop it around, if certain standards/conditions weren't being met. This type of clause isn't unheard of when dealing with big licenses (and what's bigger than Star Wars?), and with all the problems and lack of games it doesn't surprise me in the least that they're looking elsewhere.

Sadly, I don't have much more than that. Considering they're just talking about developing games with these major studios, it's not likely about anything specific. Perhaps it's a tactic to get EA back on the ball and pumping out games. Either way, I thought it was interesting enough, with sources I’ve trusted in the past, to share with you guys.

IF Ubisoft and Activision started developing Star Wars games, what would you hope to see?

-Jordan

CreamyBlood

Arcane
All of these 'journalists', not just game but newpapers, lamestream media or whatever always use the same vague buzzwords when the English language has a lot of words or phrases to be more precise. He used 'reach out' twice in in one paragraph. I'm not going to list a million ways to say the same thing.

Or how about 'narrative'. Everything is a 'narrative' now although he didn't use that.

And 'sources'. The janitor that used to work there overheard two people talking about something in a coffee shop that might have been the cleaning ladies speculating with each other. He could have made this whole thing up and nobody will ever know.

Santander02

Arcane
I would orgasm in delight if it was true, not because I'd ever expect better star wars games from Activision and Ubi (they are the same shit on a different pile) but because EA really needs to be taken down a peg or ten.

If Ubisoft or Activision start developing Star Wars games I guess I'd hope for them to get other people to actually develop the games. Guess Ubisoft could do a good Jedi game with their For Honor combat system.

Wouldn't it be funny if Activision got Star Wars and Sledgehammer Games was given a Star Wars game?

A user named cat

Fuck Ubisoft and Activision. I'd like to see Rockstar tackle a Star Wars game. Warriors was a great license-based game, so they can do more than GTA copy pasta releases.

Fuck Ubisoft and Activision. I'd like to see Rockstar tackle a Star Wars game. Warriors was a great license-based game, so they can do more than GTA copy pasta releases.

Although Star Wars openworld sandbox game sounds a lot more interesting than Star Wars western developed beat 'em up game. I don't even give much of a shit about it being a Star Wars game, I just want a sci-fi sandbox game where I can take a spaceship from the ground into space and then into spaceports and other sandbox ground sections.

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Can't they just re-open Lucas Arts and give the license for whoever has a good pitch which would actually create a competition instead of EA being lazy fucktards

Can't they just re-open Lucas Arts and give the license for whoever has a good pitch which would actually create a competition instead of EA being lazy fucktards

But Lucasfilms want to be lazy fucks too. It's more work than they seemingly care to do to license their properties out to different developers and publishers than it is dumping Star Wars on one publisher.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom