Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Secret World

Lhynn

Arcane
Age of wushu wasnt crippled by bot infestation. There were like 5 or 6 bots, they never got banned, instead the dev gave us an ignore function. You ignored those 5 or 6 bots and never heard from them again.

Funny thing is that wushu is still around and still being updated regularly, went to their page a few days ago. Seems like they are hard at work milking the people that are still playing tho.

vampiregrave

Educated
Finally some good news, Scrivnomancer is back:

The stream was hosted by Andy & Spynosaur. It was not really a information stream, mostly just some goofing around and having fun. There was a special guest (see below) and some devs dropped in to be part of the fun too.

The stream is not up as recording on twitch yet. I'll edit the link in if it gets there.

Kaidan Containers
  • Kaidan Container keys rewards were better than mid level elite dungeons, so they had to be nerfed a bit.
  • They brought them back in line with everything else and will monitor the situation
  • Changes will come in if they are needed

Joshua Doetsch - Writer Scrivnomancer
  • He is back on the team!
  • But he does not talk at all during the stream, no leaks, no spoilers

Tilty tease
Tilty posted a tease about the upcoming content on twitter:
https://twitter.com/RomainAmiel/status/941707018154532866

New Features in the current Patch

This most likely was the last stream for this year, so I wish you all great holidays and a happy new year!

Source: Secret World Legends Roleplay

Meanwhile, Roman Amiel shared this on Twitter:
DRGcc3AVQAAakog.jpg:large

Lhynn

Arcane
Man, this game has sure stagnated. It seems they made their profit and let it to rot. The game is the same as in release, no new systems, no overhauls to old shit systems, very little new content. Im glad i quit when i did.

Play this game till you are done with the story, then move on.

v1rus

Arcane
So, is this still worth a play? The story, that is.

Also, has the payment model been changed?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The writing and story have always been good. There are tons of cutscenes which can kind of drag but are skippable if you get sick of them - pertinent info will always be retained in your journal. Gameplay is better than it used to be but still MMO-bad. The game is free to play with an unobtrusive ←important cash shop for premium cosmetics and so forth.

v1rus

Arcane
The writing and story have always been good. There are tons of cutscenes which can kind of drag but are skippable if you get sick of them - pertinent info will always be retained in your journal. Gameplay is better than it used to be but still MMO-bad. The game is free to play with an unobtrusive ←important cash shop for premium cosmetics and so forth.

Tyvm. Now, I know next to nothing about the game, so, pardon my excessive questions.

What exactly should I play to best experience the writing/story? IIRC, the game wasnt a stereotypical mmorpg with yellow marker quests, so, I presume there is some sort of campaign questline? Is that content playable in party (and how big should the party be? (wanna grab a couple of friends to play with me)).

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What exactly should I play to best experience the writing/story?
Your initial weapon choices have zero impact on the story, they are just the tools you use to kill monsters. Different factions have different vignettes here and there but mostly the main story is the same for all characters. Pick what looks fun and don't worry about it.

I presume there is some sort of campaign questline? Is that content playable in party (and how big should the party be? (wanna grab a couple of friends to play with me)).
There are tons of missions, broken into a few different types: The Story Mission, Action Missions, Investigations, and Side Missions. A "breadcrumb" layout means that when you start out doing the first Story Mission, your path will lead you to the other types naturally. You can have several missions active at once but the Story Mission is always there. You can't rush only the Story Mission because there are level requirements (sometimes your "mission" will be "reach level 20 by doing other missions").

Due to this structure most of the game is playable with a team. Sometimes there will be a Story Mission section where you are alone and your party can't join you (e.g. "I got kidnapped and locked in an ancient library, now I have to escape and find my friends"). When this happens each player can play through that part by themselves, and there isn't a lot of this, but it is there.

I think the party size can go up to 5? Not sure? I find a team of 3 friends is most fun. I recommend you get two friends, decide who wants to be tank, healer, and DPS guy, but don't worry too much about character builds unless you want to, just try to pick powers suited for your role and you'll be fine, the game is easy with a team. Try to rush the main Story Mission as much as possible together. Then if anyone wants to play solo they can do the other content by themselves. The Story Mission will take you like 80 hours by itself so don't worry about doing every little quest together. Also do the Investigations together and don't look up spoilers. Investigations are the best part of the game, and solving problems brainstorming with friends is the most fun you can have here.

Your initial weapon choices have zero impact on the story, they are just the tools you use to kill monsters. Different factions have different vignettes here and there but mostly the main story is the same for all characters.
not anymore, that i know of. i remembered several faction cutscenes, especially when you raised in ranks, i played the whole game again and i couldn't find any. i wonder what else has been cut.

Delterius

Arcane
The story is mostly the same, but the 'point of view' and the interpretation of it depends on which faction you choose. After every story mission (main and otherwise), you'll get the 'quest complete' message from your faction handler. All three of them has some character that ties into the faction as a whole.

If you're in doubt about which faction to choose, I'd watch/play through the first vignette to see which themes jive the most with you. The Templars are the straightforward, old world and authoritarian. The Illuminati are meritocratic, corporatist and manipulative. The Dragon are supposed to be mysterious and unknowable. I went with the second choice out of amusement. Someone else put it best: when there's a monster below your bed, the Templars burn the whole house down; the Illuminatti set up cameras around the perimeter and gets someone else to burn the house down; the Dragon throws a chicken at the bed, which somehow burns the house down.

When it comes to weapons, just don't do what I did. Don't main elementalism. Its too much work for negative gain.

When it comes to content, focus on story missions given by NPCs. You may want to rush the Main Story -- although some of the side NPCs can be quite amusing --, but keep an eye open for Investigative Missions. Those are A+ puzzle solving content and aren't part of the Main Story. Its 90% of the reason to play the game.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
Unfortunately, a lot of good stories are blocked by the dungeons and other group missions.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Unfortunately, a lot of good stories are blocked by the dungeons and other group missions.
I think you're overstating this a bit.

Most of the game is soloable, like 99%.

You're not required to team up if you're outside of dungeons/lairs/raids. And regardin those:

a) First several dungeons + the first raid (MEZ) can be done in "story mode" (dumbed down, scaled down to 3-rando party, you just have to pew pew). IIRC there's always some people running story modes, because of the daily challenge bonus.

b) Second raid (Eidolon) and lairs provide no insight into the story - no lore, no cutscenes etc.

c) Last 4 dungeons will require a party that knows some mechanics, but you can just run them on Elite 1 (easiest mode after "story"). They provide some major lore...

v1rus The only thing that might be a problem is the inventory space, which is super small if you don't spend any cash.

And whatever guys, call me filthy pleb, but how cool are soviet underground lab-bunkers, where vampire scientists work tirelessly for decades, training a cosmonaut, that would travel inward?

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
Almost every way to gear for endgame involves group content, in a game with no people.
Just stick to solo and quit until it gets updated with new shit.

The good weapons are anything but blade and elemental.

Lhynn

Arcane
Hammer combo is usually 2 of the 5 energy spender followed by eruption, you can keep the weapon as a secondary as all you care about is that full rage eruption with the passive, it ends most encounters at the start.

Shotgun get the skill that gives bonus damage to basics on odd amount of shells and powers on even amount of shells and even with the 5 energy spender you can destroy anything. the skill that reloads all shells is a must for this build, along with its passive.

Shotgun/hammer is also actually fairly fun, and wrecks all the content easily.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
What's the best way to build for brain dead combat that takes little time? I want to get past the combat encounters as quick as possible and just do the quests, just made a character with shotgun and hammer.
Pistols and chaos doesn't have any weapon mechanics you need to worry about, it's all passive, just attack and go.

hello friend

Arcane
Pre-Legends I was using Chaos + Fist, was a lot more cumbersome, most of the time I was running through the same 5-8 step combo. Or something like that.

Having fun with Hammer + Shot for now, will be sure to give pistol + chaos a go for my next character.

Best part about the hammer is that rage builds pretty much all by itself, less hassle.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
I wish there were more missions from this guy. He is a brilliant creation.

Lhynn

Arcane
You go to london like 1 time for 15 minutes, stop being a pussy.

The entire game shifted to agartha now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom