Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 2 Thread - Director's Cut

FeelTheRads

Arcane
:lol:

All Dead State avatars look like lesbians.
Or bearded lesbians:

m2-3_alt1.png

:lol:

At least it's not the raptor-lady, I guess.

Trashos

Arcane
OK, started California, looks good! Arizona was a bit too easy (with exceptions) even on Ranger, but California is scary. It makes me wonder how I am going to survive when I move on to SJ difficulty. I am going to study Initiative a bit, I think.

Did Angel Oracle, quite fun. Sided with the Robbinsons. Gotta give it to Colin, I was constantly expecting him to infuriate me, but he never did.

My party is levels 28-32, and I am running out of skills to invest into. Slowly giving a couple of medic and surgeon skill points to everyone, and am probably going to start investing on a 2nd weapon skill for some. My current party is Bladed, Assault, Sniper, Leader with Handgun + Ralphy (Assault), Scotchmo (Shotgun/Energy), Vultur's Cry (Sniper).

Santa Fe is too big for its own good, which makes it uncomfortable as a base of operations. Also, more real-time event to piss me off, this time the cows at Cerritos and the robot attack at Fletcher's Hideout.

Trashos

Arcane
ITT, I continue enjoying my W2 DC playthrough, regardless of what is going on in that other thread. Make no mistake, I like the game. Of course, the portrait issue, which is one of the first things I criticized here, is clear to me now. Way to let idiocy make your own game worse.

Go to Rodia. Rodia is the best.

I am playing in Rodia now and I like it. One of the better regions for sure. On the other hand, I believe that the Leather Jerks did not have to be such jerks. It is not as bad as the Prison situation, since the LJerks have their advantages, but they are still a bit too much. Hi, we are cruel. They are supposed to be practical, but they are not very practical if they can't feed their own population, are they now?

My current party is Bladed, Assault, Sniper, Leader with Handgun + Ralphy (Assault), Scotchmo (Shotgun/Energy), Vultur's Cry (Sniper).

I am also working on designing my party for my next playthrough, which is going to be on SJ difficulty. My core party is going to be more or less the same, with minor adjustments. The Bladed dude is going to be Bladed/Shotgun.

I will do major changes to the companion team. Ralphy will remain as is. I am happy with Vulture's Cry, but I am going to use Rose instead so that I check the Ag Center questline out. I will definitely replace Scotchmo. I like his banter, but his Initiative is abysmal. His replacement is probably going to be Pizepi.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah the game got a bad rep in the Codex for p.stupid reasons. The DC version is really good imo, of course not without flaws.
I've finished the game twice and would actually go through it again - if there were any really impact-full mods out there.

Trashos

Arcane
All right, I am going through Hollywood and the Bastion. Pretty good, pretty good.

Whoever wrote Mayweather's in-game description should be fired immediately, tbh.

Trashos

Arcane
So, I just finished my first playthrough! Ranger difficulty throughout. Had to replay the final battle, and got it on 2nd try, but lost Ralphy and Scotchmo. Constructive criticism and tough love follows.

Pros:
- Liked the combat! The AI could have been better, but it was not bad.
- Good variety of enemies, better than I expected.
- Some good questing with various ways to approach it.
- Very good C&C. Often the consequences of our actions are not safely predictable, and this works well within the game.
- Great character creation, and good progression. I understand some people have objections to how some of it works, but overall I like it greatly.
- Quirks & Perks.
- Some cool moments here and there, like the tortoise in RNCamp.
- I liked how the game is separated in Part I:Arizona and Part II:California. It works well, imo.
- Favorite region: Canyon of Titan, but there were plenty that were good.
- I expect that the game is going to be very difficult on SJ difficulty. Incline!
- I applaud the implementation of gear that has both advantages and disadvantages.

Cons:
- Too much motivation for save scumming when using skills. In W3, give me a "use same seed upon reload" option at the start of the game, like Civ4 has.
- I am very angry with the real time action in my TB game. I hated Bleeding and quests that have a RT component and require prompt action (cows running, robots attacking, even the final countdown at the end). I am trying to play a TB game here, what is wrong with you?
- Too much straight up evilness in the various factions. I am not arguing that it is not realistic, I am arguing that it is not interesting. Evil people in W2 usually lack an interesting personality.
- Too much sugar! I understand why InXile tried to keep a steady supply of skill usage throughout the game. It helps pacing. But there is a thing called too much sugar, and at certain places it was overdone. Anyway, better overdone than underdone.
- Too many companions were made available too late. Who is going to use those?
- Portraits. If someone had told me how bad the situation with the portraits is, I would not have believed him. There is nothing I can say about it that will do it justice.
- Stop antagonizing your own customers, you fucking idiots.
- It doesn't look like people at inXile understand either capitalism or religion, from what is portrayed within the game.
- Some PC-unfriendly menus, crates that can be used only once, and all that relevant console dumbfuckery.
- Kinda disappointed that there is only one reasonable ending for the main quest (unless I missed sth).
- I found random encounters to be poor and boring.
- Not being able to choose a party member AND ungroup with one action. Not being able to shuffle formation.

Overall, I guess I rate it 8/10, which means Very Good to Great (I rate my favorite Fallouts as 9s). I am bound to do multiple playthroughs.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm surprised you rate character creation & progression as good. For me it was full of redundant skills, attributes which only matter at certain thresholds and a boring "1-choice per character at building, then max the same skills on every level up" system.

Also no comment on the loot :)

Trashos

Arcane

The loot was not interesting, but I don't know how it could easily be improved within the current systems. I would rather have less and more meaningful (and handplaced) loot, but inXile was clearly shooting for something completely different.

I love the character screen/creation, it is awesome! Probably my 2nd favorite after Arcanum. have spent several hours designing my party for my 2nd playthrough, and will spend many more for my 3rd, I am sure. I love it.

Yes, the number of skills could probably be smaller, but I don't feel like complaining about that. I am ecstatic that in the current state almost all of them have utility. I wouldn't want them to be balanced so that they are all equally important, so no complaints from me on that.

The *progression* is not as excellent due to the awesome F11 button which makes skill investments too forgiving, but still there are enough things to consider (perks, relative importance of different skills, different costs for different skill levels, minimizing reloading), so it is good enough. I agree that maybe more thought should be put into it in order to improve progression.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The loot was not interesting, but I don't know how it could easily be improved within the current systems. I would rather have less and more meaningful (and handplaced) loot, but inXile was clearly shooting for something completely different.

Clearly.

Trashos

Arcane
I thought I was done reporting, but apparently I am not.

Ag Center is excellent. Highpool (which I saved on my 1st run) was not bad, but ultimately it didn't feel much different than some other areas in the game. Ag Center has its own style and looks like a lot more work and creativity was put into it. It is also much tougher (I am on SJ difficulty now, but it does have some very nasty enemies). I enjoyed the switches puzzle. Definitely a highlight area.

I am now using blunt weapons instead of bladed for my melee character. Not because I thought they would be better, but just to try them out. What do you know, my blunt character seems to be doing much better than my bladed one (on a tougher difficulty too). Maybe it is because I am more experienced now, but this was unexpected.

OK, I think that's all (famous last words before I return to comment on sth else).

Mikeal

Arcane
So, I just finished my first playthrough! Ranger difficulty throughout. Had to replay the final battle, and got it on 2nd try, but lost Ralphy and Scotchmo. Constructive criticism and tough love follows.

Pros:
- Liked the combat! The AI could have been better, but it was not bad.
- Good variety of enemies, better than I expected.
- Some good questing with various ways to approach it.
- Very good C&C. Often the consequences of our actions are not safely predictable, and this works well within the game.
- Great character creation, and good progression. I understand some people have objections to how some of it works, but overall I like it greatly.
- Quirks & Perks.
- Some cool moments here and there, like the tortoise in RNCamp.
- I liked how the game is separated in Part I:Arizona and Part II:California. It works well, imo.
- Favorite region: Canyon of Titan, but there were plenty that were good.
- I expect that the game is going to be very difficult on SJ difficulty. Incline!
- I applaud the implementation of gear that has both advantages and disadvantages.

Cons:
- Too much motivation for save scumming when using skills. In W3, give me a "use same seed upon reload" option at the start of the game, like Civ4 has.
- I am very angry with the real time action in my TB game. I hated Bleeding and quests that have a RT component and require prompt action (cows running, robots attacking, even the final countdown at the end). I am trying to play a TB game here, what is wrong with you?
- Too much straight up evilness in the various factions. I am not arguing that it is not realistic, I am arguing that it is not interesting. Evil people in W2 usually lack an interesting personality.
- Too much sugar! I understand why InXile tried to keep a steady supply of skill usage throughout the game. It helps pacing. But there is a thing called too much sugar, and at certain places it was overdone. Anyway, better overdone than underdone.
- Too many companions were made available too late. Who is going to use those?
- Portraits. If someone had told me how bad the situation with the portraits is, I would not have believed him. There is nothing I can say about it that will do it justice.
- Stop antagonizing your own customers, you fucking idiots.
- It doesn't look like people at inXile understand either capitalism or religion, from what is portrayed within the game.
- Some PC-unfriendly menus, crates that can be used only once, and all that relevant console dumbfuckery.
- Kinda disappointed that there is only one reasonable ending for the main quest (unless I missed sth).
- I found random encounters to be poor and boring.
- Not being able to choose a party member AND ungroup with one action. Not being able to shuffle formation.

Overall, I guess I rate it 8/10, which means Very Good to Great (I rate my favorite Fallouts as 9s). I am bound to do multiple playthroughs.

You can join Mathias in Hollywood than
kill every faction leader in California and nuke Ranger's Citadel and yourself in final quest.

Trashos

Arcane
kill every faction leader in California and nuke Ranger's Citadel and yourself in final quest.

Right. I read about this, but it is a disappointing ending.
I was looking to be a man-machine, and be appointed as the ruler of part of the world. Not die a dishonorable death.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck

Right. I read about this, but it is a disappointing ending.
I was looking to be a man-machine, and be appointed as the ruler of part of the world. Not die a dishonorable death.

I just want to say thumbs-up for not being the usual kind of idiot that is attracted to this site and giving a great game an honest try and coming to your own opinion generated by your own, thinking mind. This game, in the DC form, certainly has some flaws. But the DC addressed all the major flaws. This game is crpg through and through. This game, to me, divides the people that like crpgs from the console crowd. Time will give it the credit it deserves, like with ToEE. But sadly that didn't keep the doors of Troika open. People that like rpgs have to support them when they release, like the console kids do with their games. That keeps the doors open and the devs making the types of games we say we want.

Far too many of the idiots on this site are frauds and fakes - just bandwagon jumpers who claim to want one thing and then shitting on it when we get it, or just plain ignoring it. It is nice to see there are still some thinking people here.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Except W2 is on consoles too and particularly the DC made concessions for the consoles.

Similarly with TTON.

lol retard

You actually think inXile gives a shit about the PC market compares to the console one. Always completely clueless, but always raging with butthurt. What a fucking idiot. :lol:

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Except W2 is on consoles too and particularly the DC made concessions for the consoles.

Similarly with TTON.

lol retard

You actually think inXile gives a shit about the PC market compares to the console one. Always completely clueless, but always raging with butthurt. What a fucking idiot. :lol:

DOS came out with their DC for the console that addressed nothing that was wrong with the game. They specifically went out their way to make it more appealing to console retards, while fixing none of the game's major flaws. WL2 DC addressed every major flaw the game had, and the pc-functionality and playability was not impacted by the console release. Hell, I call Sven - Console Sven specifically because he stated he prefers consoles and playing games with controllers.

Anyone could play WL2 DC and TToN and have no idea it was released on consoles. No one can play the shitty console games you retards love and not notice they have console interfaces and were specifically designed for consoles.

You dislike a company because they make actual crpgs focused on gameplay a systems and were specifically designed for the PC, and this company gives truth to the lie that the rpgcodex community, no matter how many lies they spew about loving crpgs, are just retarded console monkeys that would rather watch games with good animations than play crpgs with great gameplay.

And you kids can bleat out all the insults you want at me, but none of you sackless monkeys are willing to put your money where your mouth is. None of you little bitches have any pride, and all of you are sackless chickens with shitty taste and no brains. You're a fucking joke.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
because they make actual crpgs focused on gameplay a systems

If W2 was focused on anything (which is very debatable) was on collecting feces.
But, seeing how how you like to play shit games I'm not surprised you enjoyed that.

but none of you sackless monkeys are willing to put your money where your mouth is.

What does that mean? Where exactly should I put my money?
You know where I put my money? Just like I told another drooling moron here who likes to suck on Fargo's cock, I put my money in inXile's Kickstarters. So you can go suck more of Fargo's dick instead of telling me about supporting new RPGs.

Also funny calling me a kid, console player. Seeing how you actually think inXile's abortions are good RPGs I can with a very high degree of certainty say that I played much more and better RPGs than you did.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Go fuck yourself with your retarded questions. I'm not talking about the last fucking 5 years.
Nobody gives a shit about the shit new games that you're peddling.
10 fucking "favorite" games in the last five years. :lol: :lol: That's how you know you're talking with a moron with shit taste. If I had 10!!!! favorite games from the last 5 years I should kill myself.

Underrail is probably the only game from the last 5 years I actually completed and enjoyed.
And I played inXile's abortions because I payed for them.

Otherwise, whatever else I may have tried I either forgot or was garbage not worth wasting time on (PoE).

And is this what you call putting your money where your mouth is? Answering what are your favorite games from the last 5 years? :lol:
Listing favorites. :lol: Do you want maybe to pull the chair from underneath me too and then maybe be friends?

What a useless waste of oxygen you are.

But I'm sure you're going to declare yourself a winner here too because my answer to your retarded irrelevant question was not whatever the fuck you expected.
By the way, you'll probably have to search really hard if you're expecting anyone anywhere to put inXile's abortions into any kind of favorite list.
But to use that as a measure of someone's taste, since I assume you want people to list these as favorite, is just lol.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom