Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire is 25% off... CLEVE LIED!

Mustawd

Help, I can't make decisions for myself.

Is this game good?

No

EDIT: To elaborate, you can tell Cleve spent the majority of the time programming the game as well as bug fixing. It's understandable because every few years a new Windows version would come out, creating a new slew of bugs. So he got caught in an endless cycle. Regardless, due to the focus on the software, not enough focus was put on the game's design. The biggest example I can point to is the OP sleep spell/song. It basically worked on everything, and Cleve patched it later because you could simply spam that if you had a bard in your party. But an issie as obvious as that tells you that not enough playtesting was done or not enough time was given to thinking about the design itself.

Maybe mods will fix it one day, but I think Cleve is done with it. A shame too. I think if he did it all over again he'd probably just program for DOS and let ppl play it in DOSbox. At least he woulda had to deal with less compatibility issues.

Last edited by a moderator:

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Help, I can't make decisions for myself.

Is this game good?

Grimwah is the monumental RPG masterpiece that fills the empty void that years of popamole garbage and desperate nostalgia pandering crapstarter games have caused. The Golden Baby has brought hope to the world, like an Olympic torch of incline that travels through the darkness to bring an end to the endless night.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Fuck. On one hand, the ninja is telling me some real cause for concern.

But on the other, the pretty anime boy makes a strong case.

So this is how a transgender feels.

Dorateen

Arcane
The biggest example I can point to is the OP sleep spell/song. It basically worked on everything, and Cleve patched it later because you could simply spam that if you had a bard in your party. But an issie as obvious as that tells you that not enough playtesting was done or not enough time was given to thinking about the design itself.

mustawd, I am responding to this because you are a good poster and I think your view might be based on early impressions of Grimoire at launch. As you said, a patch was later released, which not only increased monster saving throws but also reduced the rate of gaining skill points through use, specifically music. As well as making success dependent on a much higher skill rank. By the time I started playing Grimoire, the bard in our party was not able to put anything to sleep at first. It took advancing about three levels, and getting his music skill boosted into the teens. And then slowly, the lyre of slumber started to affect creatures. But supposing if the sleep spell does always work, it only renders enemies helpless until they are attacked, upon which they awaken and are active again.

The sleep condition is best applied when you have multiple groups to deal with in a battle, and you want to incapacitate one row while you deal with the other monsters. Even then, the timing could be tricky, for if you kill a front row first before the bard uses his lyre in the round, the back row can move up and the spell won't take effect. Still, the bard's arsenal is not relegated to just a slumber lyre that may or may not be overpowered. It has instruments that make a group of enemies go crazy, damage, charm, paralyze a single creature, or heal the party. I find that different encounters have me utilizing the bard party member in different ways, depending on the situation. All this, and there is still a chance a bard's instrument could backfire and hit one of the other characters.

In short, the game is operational at present, and the systems are working as intended.

Mustawd

Dorateen , I was using the sleep spell as an example of what I believe to be an overall lack of focus on game design. Like you said, it has been patched. However, this is something that should never have made it to the release version. So it kind of taints, to me anyhow, the rest of the game design.

That being said, you're right that my opinion is definitely colored by my initial impression. I was disgusted with some of Cleve's bullshit claims on release (manual and release of source code are two of the biggest claims that have yet to materialize).

That being said, "systems are functioning as intended" is different than outright recommending this game. I do respect your opinion on crpgs, so I have to ask you: In this present state would you recommend this? If so, how does it compare to other blobbers? Better than Wizardry 8? M&M 5?

Dorateen

Arcane
In this present state would you recommend this? If so, how does it compare to other blobbers? Better than Wizardry 8? M&M 5?

I would, with the honest assessment that Grimoire is slow-paced and plodding. Combat is not fast like World of Xeen. I think I like it better than Wizardry 8, because of the way the grid-based world is built and how the dungeons are connected. Puzzles definitely have more of a touch of D.W. Bradley, that is Wizardry 6 and 7.

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

Cleve Barker's Legend of Grimrock is now one with the Library.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Generic-Giant-Spider , I defer to Dorateen's opinion.

So, in fact, the first opinion you offered was based on overheard conversations between trannies on some SJW rage board talking about the pirated version they stole at launch over a half a year ago.

I will say that honestly, people like you do not deserve Grimoire. I am glad I designed it to baffle lesser untermenschen like yourself.

To enjoy Grimoire you will need a soul. About 90% of the population would not enjoy Grimoire for that reason.

Mustawd

Generic-Giant-Spider , I defer to Dorateen's opinion.

So, in fact, the first opinion you offered was based on overheard conversations between trannies on some SJW rage board talking about the pirated version they stole at launch over a half a year ago.

I will say that honestly, people like you do not deserve Grimoire. I am glad I designed it to baffle lesser untermenschen like yourself.

To enjoy Grimoire you will need a soul. About 90% of the population would not enjoy Grimoire for that reason.

I bought ur game at release. Stop being butthurt because I had an opinion.

EDIT: Forget the manual. On steam you said you'd release the source code. Have you done so? No.

Look, I get that all this is 99.9% meme or whatever. But a lot of people take you at your word. And what do you do when they call you out on bullshit statements? You insult the same paying customers you outright lied to.

Whatever man. I'm glad you released it. Stop being a dick for no reason. I don't have time for your memes man. I just want to play a good blobber.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
It's not updated to the latest changes, but most of the necessary information is in the game anyway. Race and class descriptions and required stats, explanation of all attributes and skills, etc.

The manual is really not necessary and Cleve should just release it, even if it is less than phonebook-sized. Dragging out the manual release is worse than having a less than perfect manual, which can be updated over time anyway.

Yannos

Educated
Haha amazing ... I've had this game on my Steam Wishlist since it launched and finally bit the bullet two days ago... Just my luck! In any case, I'm enjoying the game so not a big loss I guess.

LootSeeker

Educated
I knew buying it at release that this would likely happen and still bought it. Is anyone really shocked by this? I hope not. Even with the launch discount, its cost was less than the many lemons I've bought over the years. I just wish he would release the manual so that the people moaning about it can moan about something else, and we can move to the next phase of the Grimoire soap opera; whatever that will be... the backer stuff, Grimoire version 2 or an audio book of the manual narrated by Gilbert Gottfried.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I just wish he would release the manual so that the people moaning about it can moan about something else, and we can move to the next phase of the Grimoire soap opera; whatever that will be...

Then it'll be the GOG release of the super-optimized and greatly expanded Grimoire v2.0 deluxe edition.

And of course, some people bought actual phone book sized hint manuals that need to be written, printed and sent to them... That's leave enough reason for moaning for another 10 years.

Sykar

Arcane

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom