Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Werewolf: The Apocalypse – Earthblood - action-RPG adaptation from Cyanide

ArchAngel

Arcane
Why are people brofisting that article.. it is pure decline. They are going to force a werewolf tribe upon us.. imaging playing Bloodlines with only Ventrue being your choice (or one of the other less chaotic clans) .

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Why are people brofisting that article.. it is pure decline. They are going to force a werewolf tribe upon us.. imaging playing Bloodlines with only Ventrue being your choice (or one of the other less chaotic clans) .

TBH, Bloodlines forced the Camarilla on us. One of the less chaotic factions. Ah, what I would have given to play a properly :obviously: Tzimisce.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You can take the Troika out of WoD... but you can't end up with a memorable game (i hesitate to call Troika games 'good' for technical reasons even if i really want to).

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
that's... far from the same thing
More of a matter of perspective, since a lot of people who are fans of Werewolf I know can be *really* anal about treating tribes like full-fledged factions in level of detail in the grand scheme of secret society matryoshka White Wolf so likes. I suppose this also applies to many Masquerade fans I know of but to a lesser extent.

It's kind of a thing one has to consider, do you want many choices that will narratively mean little beyond cosmetic flavour, or do you want a single preset that has a lot of detail to it from beginning to end. That's the "optimal" alternatives there too. Having both would be something that's ultimately pretty unrealistic in terms of time and money for big game development to achieve.

PS: But hey, at least you won't have to be last of the White Howlers.

frajaq

Erudite
I get that, it's just that having like.... 5 well-polished tribes to choose would be nice to have, instead of one forced for you

helps with replayability

god knows I replayed Bloodlines a fucking lot

ArchAngel

Arcane
I get that, it's just that having like.... 5 well-polished tribes to choose would be nice to have, instead of one forced for you

helps with replayability

I also did and tried another clan each time. With this game, I doubt they will give you a reason to play even twice.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There's still the (small) hope that the devs are going to take a more organic route of making faction choice in the game itself as a layer of <<roleplaying>> ala Dark Souls, Morrowind etc and similar simpler games.

It's still decline even if it happens though, for obvious reasons of limiting any npc and quest interaction specific powers to the later game. Frankly if a Bloodlines successor is not designed front and center around npc and faction interaction, i'm not sure i really want to be disappointed by trying it out.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Even a simple alright no-choice trumps multiple superficial choices I'd say.

helps with replayability

I've honestly sort of grown completely tired with "class-based" replayability. Like, truth is that there's only three Clans in Bloodlines, Nosferatu, Malvavian, and everyone else (but probably Brujah or Toreador because Celerity). Aside from a tiny bit of little extra with Tremere and the haven there's not really anything to differentiate the Clans aside from the aforementioned two (and even there Nosferatu just has more of that flavor than Tremere and Malk is nodnodwinkwink dialogue swap). Ultimately replayability only works in three functions: Addictiveness factor (ie things like strategy games, MMOs et al, usually not really a replay in the normal sense), quality of the game (that is, after a while the game is just fun to replay because it's an enjoyable experience), or designing the game entirely around replay with extreme variation (best example of this is the Way of the Samurai series). The last way to do it only really works if you make a shorter game so you can instead make it "wider," not only in regards to making it feasible as a design but also thanks to making replaying a core part of gameplay and an easy prospect (average playthrough of a Way of the Samurai is at most 2 hours or so, the point is that you have so many different ways to play through it that are genuinely different and you also have general progress in addition to individual playthrough progress), extreme variation in a 12+ hour game makes it a pretty exhausting task for the player to go through all of them even if they'd otherwise case, and this grows exponentially the further away branching points can be.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/120...se-becomes-werewolf-earth-blood-previews.html

Not only have Focus Home and Cyanide Studio been busy showcasing more of their upcoming Werewolf-based role-playing game at their What's Next event, but they've also revealed that the game is now sporting a new "Earth Blood" subtitle. We begin with the subtitle news in this article on Gamereactor:

In Werewolf: Earth Blood (you might have heard it called Werewolf: The Apocalypse before), the upcoming RPG from Cyanide Studio, players will take control of a eco-terrorist, and throughout the story you'll mix things up as you play as either a human, a wolf, or a werewolf, managing your anger as you look to save the planet from humanity's greed.

While Cyanide is handling development duties, White Wolf is working with the studio to deliver an experience that stays true to the pen and paper RPG, while also bringing the contemporary fantasy setting to a whole new audience. At the root of the experience - which they're calling a "systemic RPG" - is rage management, and how angry the player-character gets will determine how you play. So, for example, the angrier you get, you're more likely to go into a frenzy and may not be able to distinguish friend from foe.​

Next, we move to a preview on WCCFTech:

Become angry, and your character might start lashing out, killing innocent civilians or important characters. Lose control too much, however, and the player falls to the lure of the same destructive forces they were trying to stop, ending the game. Managing this anger throughout Werewolf: The Apocalypse promises to be an interesting task, given that succumbing to the rage in small doses will have benefits during combat according to the developers. You can freely transform between wolf (Lupus) and human (Homid) form, but you can become the true embodiment of your fury as a hybrid (Crinos). This form is the most powerful but once you enter it, you can only leave when combat is finished, and you must fight against the clock or be lost completely to the rage.

That’s not to say the other forms aren’t useful. Quite the opposite is true, in fact: with the Homid form, Cahal is able to blend in the urban environments of the game, engage in dialogues and stealthily take down enemies either in melee or at range with his crossbow. With the Lupus form, Cahal can travel quickly, explore natural environments and track scents just like a wolf.​

Followed by another on Games Radar:

As Desourteaux puts it, “the question we want to ask the character is ‘when will you rage’?”. When your rage meter fills up, you can unleash it in a devastating range of powerful attacks as the Krynos, with each finishing move slightly lowering your rage. If you’d rather stealth than start ripping apart everything in sight, there are apparently ways to manage your anger and make sure it doesn’t get too high. Because what Desourteaux wants most is for the “player to change forms and analyse situations”, turning into a Krynos when it best suits them rather than feeling like they have to give in to their rage in the quests being thrown their way.

Tearing apart your enemies looks deliciously fun. Be careful, though. Indulge too much in that ferocious behaviour and you’ll go into Frenzy mode, where your attacks become especially devastating. If you stay in Frenzy mode too long, you run the risk of being ‘touched by the Wyrm’, which is an immediate game over as its corrupting influence, well, corrupts you. To end Frenzy mode and ensure this doesn’t happen, you need to kill everyone around you, according to Desourteaux. Even your friends. “You have to kill your allies as well,” he says, “because you see them as a threat. When you go into Frenzy, you’re not able to recognise everybody - everyone looks like a threat”. Like an awkward family reunion, the game will remember that you massacred your friends. Your brutality will affect future quests, the ways NPCs behave towards you, and even what kind of enemies you face.​

LESS T_T Huh, is it or is it not Werewolf: Earth Blood? Only the Gamereactor preview mentions it.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Huh, is it or is not Werewolf: Earth Blood? Only the Gamereactor preview mentions it.

Well early in the video the interviewer literally says the subtitle in front of devs. (Didn't watch the whole video since it's too slow for me.)

the_1990

Educated
I hope to God they add mod-support so I can put Ushankas on all the Werewolf models and replace the howling sound files with these:

Then I work on a DLC sized quest mod where you play as Augusto Pinochet: Werewolf hunter.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Yeah shifting form for them bashing ennemies in human form.... Such a shame your clothes don't rip in the process.. and your inventory will still magically here even in wolf from... I predict it as an action game where you just simply switch from on pure quick convenience... Such sadness.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Such a shame your clothes don't rip in the process.. and your inventory will still magically here even in wolf from...

Well, that works with the Rite of Dedication, although I doubt anyone would waste something like that on clothing. There's a reason why most werewolves look like hobos.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't really have hope for this game, looks too consol-ish for me, but I will still play it. Because wolves :love:

So... Fern Gully with werewolves?
You know, I think it's the first time I see anyone mentioning that film since 1992. It didn't sell a lot where I live. It was actually pretty nice. And that actually is a fair description of the Werewolf: TA setting's premise (with a bit more terrorism).

Beats the "Crips with fursuits" theme of nWoD any day of the week.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yeah shifting form for them bashing ennemies in human form.... Such a shame your clothes don't rip in the process.. and your inventory will still magically here even in wolf from... I predict it as an action game where you just simply switch from on pure quick convenience... Such sadness.
This is every game with polymorphing.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

This is every game with polymorphing.
True but according with world of darkness gear don't magically persist when you shift your form.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
True but according with world of darkness gear don't magically persist when you shift your form.

It did in Bloodlines, considering the alternative is tedium. Situations that can be interesting in the more abstract medium of tabletop aren't necessarily so in the context of a video game.

How to carry ALL YOUR SHIT in non-human forms and more:
  • There's a fetish called Magpie’s Swag get the level 2 version of it called Spider's Satchel that lets you carry weaver shit too
    Gnosis 5 The magpie’s swag can be pretty much any simple closable bag, satchel, sack, or similar container, which can hold thrice the amount of a regular bag the same size. If dedicated, it counts as a single item, even if filled with other fetishes or even non-dedicated items, and it is represented by a stripe of fur in Crinos, Hispo, and Lupus forms. Unfortunately, it cannot contain complex Weaver objects such as guns or laptops, unless these items are broken and useless, or have been independently dedicated. Variations of this fetish include the corporate brief case of the Glass Walkers, the gym bag of the Bone Gnawers and the medicine bag of the Uktena. Also, a level two variation exists — the spider’s satchel — which is capable of carrying Weaver objects. To create a magpie’s swag, one must bind a magpie or marsupial spirit into the container.
  • Plead with your ST so he can let you use a jacket/blazer (for style) or a leather long coat (get a black one for FOR MAXMIUM 90'S-NESS or a brown one for see below point)
  • Rename it something cool like Spider's Jacket
  • Play Werewolf the Apocalypse like a fucking point-n-click protagonist i.e. steal everything that is not nailed to the floor
  • Emulate this glorious motherfucker in all forms
    latest
    Turn the fucking Rokea into cat food
  • Save Gaia (or not, doesn't matter, you're already the coolest ever)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom