Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Smejki, inventory needs filters or sorters for different kinds of items, like crafting/herbs, helmets/boots/etc and so on. Looking through stuff in inventory is annoying if you have more stuff than the minimal.

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
Smejki, inventory needs filters or sorters for different kinds of items, like crafting/herbs, helmets/boots/etc and so on. Looking through stuff in inventory is annoying if you have more stuff than the minimal.
Not likely, we'd have to rework the item system data structures. But forwarded as a feedback.

Smejki

Developer
Is there any place where one can read the changelog of the updates? I don't understand why nothing is being posted on their steam news.
I've already asked around, nobody answered which means there are no patch notes lol.

So everytime an update downloads just imagine the game got two inches better.
The request was forwarded. Frankly the first two patches were too big and some more were some hotfixes to binaries not worth elaborating upon.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Is there any place where one can read the changelog of the updates? I don't understand why nothing is being posted on their steam news.
I've already asked around, nobody answered which means there are no patch notes lol.

So everytime an update downloads just imagine the game got two inches better.
The request was forwarded. Frankly the first two patches were too big and some more were some hotfixes to binaries not worth elaborating upon.

Thanks, never got reply to this:

"hey, Smejki, since you are here, I wonder if any quests have any kind of time limits on when you have to complete them, main and side quests alike, also if you stop some thief (as in someone running after thief) and you stop them, can you carry them to the guards to get money, fame etc, or are players expected to just leave them around unconscious?"

And additionally, what about the random people you see when you find the body and you catch the (supposed) killer?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
witcher_inventory.jpg

Yea, this is horribly restrictive. This and Drakensang, these inventories were brutal. Only auto sorted stuff was alchemy sack (which is what KCD is lacking).

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Just listening to Vavra describing how insanely difficult it was to cram a game of this size and complexity in the limited console RAM. Severe compromises had to be made for AI and especially textures. How they managed to pull it off on consoles is a goddamn mystery.

Is that in original Czech?

Smejki

Developer
Ok, challenge, guys. We're surprised we have yet to see anybody
get fucking wasted with booze and discover
some things

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Smejki

Developer
Thanks, never got reply to this:
"hey, Smejki, since you are here, I wonder if any quests have any kind of time limits on when you have to complete them, main and side quests alike,
Some do, yes
also if you stop some thief (as in someone running after thief) and you stop them, can you carry them to the guards to get money, fame etc, or are players expected to just leave them around unconscious?"
frankly I have no idea. never did it in the game, never read the design, never touched the script.
And additionally, what about the random people you see when you find the body and you catch the (supposed) killer?
That's a generated event. Again, never played it, don't know it. Just read an early version design doc.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Reminded me of Morrowind where it was possible to spend hours looking for something.
Game just reminds me or Morrowind. The world is less an epic adventure and sparce with rpg and narrative elements, most of the stuff is rather simulation than gamist assets. In Morrowind you were trecking hours around plantations trying to find that one important object, here you track coal burners around river banks following that one actual important quest. Minor quests in Morrowind were like help pilgrim to get to shrine of Almsivi, here minor quests are like beat money out of someone or deal with these bandits over there protecting quest location. And it's an epic quest because even dealing with 1 bandit is hard enough, dealing with 2+ is already a Evil Islands orc commando slaying behind enemy lines.

Well, all except game ecology of course. This is the first RPG of that sort where you actually have to SEARCH for enemies.

Evil Islands ways of doing things aka night ambushes work really well in this game.

But then you get a horse and armor, and you can go into lonely peasant huts or lonely camps and shank anyone yourself :lol:
Theoretically you can go around beating money out of peasantry lol. I mostly try to stay all christian like though, I don't even own any lockpicks.

I turned down every thief quest so far. Because, for all the disadvantages of learn by use system, it still has one major advantage - you can turn down any quest and any activity if you're not going to level up those skills anyway, and use game time to earn money and raise skills you actually want any other way.

Last edited:

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Question about the noble son hunt party quest.

Does anybody know what happens if you fail it ( you don't follow him on his horse for example ) ?

When I did the quest, I lost him in the forest and he gets captured by bandits, so I had to rescue him. If you don't follow him and fail the quest, does he still get captured ? How does this affect the next quest ?

There are no negative consequences because it is supposed to be the fast travel tutorial quest. If you fail to meet him you just fast travel to the starting camp anyway, so there is no impact.

Most reactivity like this has consequences though, I've failed at least 2 quests by queuing them up in the book and not doing them for ages.

Straight elf

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Is there some plot-consistent opportunity to take some time off the main quest and do some fun activities/dating/earning some cash. I have
saved the noble guy kidnapped by the Cumans during the hunt and now am investigating the murder at the horse farm
but would really like to enjoy a bit of calm to take some time to explore what can be done in the city, without feeling I am horribly neglecting some super urgent matter.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
some things
That's because normal people are polite sober people, who don't drink much even in games. Also I told yesterday to one person he should borrow the game from a friend, and rather spend these money on quality alcohol to waste himself in real live. Thus, you'd need to wait until his friend finishes it.
But don't worry, sooner or later someone would enter the deepest despair of drunkenness. (Probably some woman, or disabled that is forbidden to drink alcohol.)

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Question about the noble son hunt party quest.

Does anybody know what happens if you fail it ( you don't follow him on his horse for example ) ?

When I did the quest, I lost him in the forest and he gets captured by bandits, so I had to rescue him. If you don't follow him and fail the quest, does he still get captured ? How does this affect the next quest ?

There are no negative consequences because it is supposed to be the fast travel tutorial quest. If you fail to meet him you just fast travel to the starting camp anyway, so there is no impact.

Most reactivity like this has consequences though, I've failed at least 2 quests by queuing them up in the book and not doing them for ages.

Wait, what? I don’t think you understood the question.

If you don’t rescue Capon from the bandits, you can go back to town and Radzig will still make you his squire? That sounds unbelievable—he lets you enter his service for rescuing Capon. Failing to do so seems like it would derail the main plot. How do they get around this?

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
I'm started to get tired of the sidequests already, almost all of them consists of wandering around the whole fucking map fetching things or asking someone about something with little to no action inbetween, they are not interesting at all, where are the brigands, where is the suffering, where are the politics, what the fuck is all this merry go around bullshit for peasants ? Unless you stick to the main quest, everything else is just menial task 101 that amounts to nothing but tedious travelling around the map doing fuck all that I could easily go outside and do it myself.

Paul_cz

Arcane
You can apparently pour alcohol into food of enemies and then they are then worse at combat, hah.

Watching 90 minute interview with Vávra, some info:

- they are already working on the DLC questline with playing as a woman (I think Theresa will be the protagonist?)

- They are planning fairly longterm support for the game, have 10 dedicated people watching streams and forums to get as much feedback as possible for bugfixing. Apparently they never saw the Flying Dragon Kick bug before it was recorded :)

- As far as modding, he says they did not have time before launch to look into it in detail, but now they will investigate how possible it will be to release some tools - they rewrote most of the cryengine but are not sure what they can release from legal standpoint, so it will require some negotiation with Crytek. Of course he cannot promise anything specific yet because of that.

- Making of documentary was delayed because they want it to include the time before launch, launch party, feedback and reactions etc.

- the R&D they made and tools they developed should make development of future game significantly less difficult and hopefully faster

- crowdfunding for the future game is something to consider, he brings up Swen Vincke and how they did kickstarter for Original Sin 2 eventhough OS1 made lot of money, crowdfunding is a way to measure interest, build relationship with fans etc

- czech voice acting: Warhorse want it, but the game has 110 hours of voice acting, in real terms it would probably take around 3 months of work of 5 directors, 3 audio engineers, 50 actors, ton of QA..and he questions if the opportunity cost would be worth it, since it would mean not being able to do other stuff that might be more important/useful...basically they want to do it if the game is successful but cannot promise it yet

- before even starting the company, after leaving 2K, he spent 2 years reading and studying historical literature (for example work of Zikmund Winter who wrote some 2000 archaic czech page work about medieval life called "Cultural Image of Czech towns"). He describes how he had to write 80-page manual about medieval clothing for the artists because the clothing was completely different with different names et cetera..and then had to find specific professional who dealt with this as a vocation to find all the flaws and errors anyway..in total, around 20 people were consulted regarding various specific things

- didn't want to do Hussite Wars right away because it would be too much, so they searched for smaller interesting events and locations where they took place and found that first invasion of Sigismund which provided good background for the game, the burning of Silver Skalitz actually happened and it served as a good starting point. The time period was also selected because it is just before advent of guns (which they did not want) but right after the golden years of Charles IV's reign

- he came up with the idea for the teleshopping advert, they actually intended to run it on German TV like actual teleshopping, but didn't have time :D

- talks about the futility of DRM and that it is useless anyway so they didn't bother (he didn't know about the online check fuck-up, but it confirms it was unintentional)

Elex

Arbiter
some things
reading the perk description have suggested me some stuff to try.

i think the game should have more perk (or option) that simplify the repetitive aspect of the “simulation” stuff like auto brewing etc etc alleviate the “repetition” effect.

once you have experience certain aspect (brewing something) there is not much fun in doing it again and again and again.

e.g. picking up herbs

PrettyDeadman

I'l definitely give them some money if they decide to do a kickstarter for their next game/

Last edited by a moderator:

mildTea

Learned
Watching 90 minute interview with Vávra, some info:

He also mentions:
- despite being the author of the combat mechanics idea he sucks at it big time now (apparently Viktor Bocan, huge Dark Souls fanboy, turned up the complexity a notch)
- Dog companion mechanics not added because it would require lots of extra animation work and path routing accross the whole 16 sq. km map for which they didn't have memory space

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom