Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Werewolf: The Apocalypse – Earthblood - action-RPG adaptation from Cyanide

Eriador

Arbiter
Redemption had a vampire rank based on exp or levels, the higher you go the higher your rank will go I think, it kinda sounds somewhat similar to that from how you describe it.

Haven't played Redemption past Vienna so not sure if ranks do anything.

Well, I think those ranks in Redemption are just descriptive.

Anyway, attaining renown was not automatic. After gaining enough points of temporary Renown, you would have to convince an Elder to perform a Rite (some sort of magical ceremony) to get your deeds officially recognized and celebrated (and gain permanent Renown as a result of that). Most of the time, convincing an elder to do that in the first place would lead to a quest of some sort before they agree to organize said ceremony.

So I'm kinda curious how they hand this. If they keep it as close to that as possible, somewhat streamline it or change it to automatic level-ups. Or maybe just ignore it entirely.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You could get 0 humanity, the game just stopped giving -Humanity when you killed random people at 3. You had to get a 'bad' quest route. I think.

Good way to die in combat when frenzy triggers though, even with the absurd bonus the state gives (in the camarilla edition mod and CQM with the lite version of that, the last dot of animalism is a controllable frenzy).

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Fact that full-on SJW White Wolf is keeping tabs on the project should be what's worrying people, not Cyanide's supposed reputation.
Are they truly full-on SJW? (I have no idea.) What I know though is that White Wolf isn't the same as before. It changed when merged with CCP, and again after the un-merge. There's also the fact that Onyx Path is the actual dev for the PnP World of Darkness, I don't know if they have an influence on the game, or if they're the full-on SJW group, or what.

Anyways, if Cyanide tackles non-superficially the question of ‘what’s the price of using violence to change the world’, like they say in the interview, it could turn out to be against SJW ideas in some ways.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The actual question is, how much of the Setting they will be including into the game, as opposed to who the primary demographic of the game is based on sales wise (i.e. Action game!).

ArchAngel

Arcane
You could get 0 humanity, the game just stopped giving -Humanity when you killed random people at 3. You had to get a 'bad' quest route. I think.

Good way to die in combat when frenzy triggers though, even with the absurd bonus the state gives (in the camarilla edition mod and CQM with the lite version of that, the last dot of animalism is a controllable frenzy).
It wasn't that games does not lower Humanity, tabletop rules don't lower humanity. Humanity scale is not linear. To get your humanity lower you need to perform bigger and bigger atrocities. And to get it higher you need to become more and more Jesus like.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well, going into a minor tangent, Bloodlines always had a problem of giving too much humanity and taking too little. I understand why, since most gamers are murdering cavemen who still expect to roleplay a 'nice' guy when they were murdering cops on their b&e literally 10 minutes ago, but rarely is this so literal as in Bloodlines. No humanity losses in combat zones indeed. At least the game gives the option of stealth, I just wish it had a single humanity loss for the first murder of a innocent cop on a combat zone.

Last edited:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I found that you have to go out of your way to lose Humanity in Bloodlines since just murdering random people only gets you so low, ironically.

Werewolf instead makes normal people deathly afraid of the rampaging garou in war form to the point where they will rationalize away what just happened.

Eriador

Arbiter

As far as I remember, you could never go lower then 1 Humanity.

the_1990

Educated
Fact that full-on SJW White Wolf is keeping tabs on the project should be what's worrying people, not Cyanide's supposed reputation.
Are they truly full-on SJW? (I have no idea.) What I know though is that White Wolf isn't the same as before. It changed when merged with CCP, and again after the un-merge. There's also the fact that Onyx Path is the actual dev for the PnP World of Darkness, I don't know if they have an influence on the game, or if they're the full-on SJW group, or what.

Anyways, if Cyanide tackles non-superficially the question of ‘what’s the price of using violence to change the world’, like they say in the interview, it could turn out to be against SJW ideas in some ways.

Hunter the Vigil has a bunch of evangelical Christians as a compact, and one of it's supplements had a short story with an anti-immigration dude as the protagonist.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Werewolf instead makes normal people deathly afraid of the rampaging garou in war form to the point where they will rationalize away what just happened.

I think that will be too interesting and unique for a generic action-RPG.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
Violating the "Veil" (AKA Masquerade, but the werewolf version) meant loss of renown, specifically honor renown. This would be easy enough to implement in a videogame.

Technically true, but it required a special kind of stupid to actually manage to pull it off... Since basically, just seeing your Crinos war-form caused delirium in non-awakened humans*. The Veil was more about keeping werewolf society a secret from mundane human organization, and even then it hardly carried the stigma that a masquerade infraction has on a camarilla kindred.

*edit: Unless you took that flaw that removed such effect. Yep, 4-5 B.P. at character creation (iirc, could be even less, WW can't balance things for shit :lol: ) in exchange for one of the most useful passives in all of the WoD!

Probably even vampire could get by if baring their fangs and hissing (actually contemplated in the rules) gave you a free dementation effect on all bystanders!

Black Spiral Dancer or GTFO.

Oh, god yes! Not playable obviously but the dancers are one of my favourite villains ever!

This is an especially good read imho, one that gave me many a morbid idea, not just while storytelling OWoD, but also any dark-themed game whatsoever!

61lmpy57yFL._SX334_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Eriador

Arbiter
Violating the "Veil" (AKA Masquerade, but the werewolf version) meant loss of renown, specifically honor renown. This would be easy enough to implement in a videogame.

Technically true, but it required a special kind of stupid to actually manage to pull it off... Since basically, just seeing your Crinos war-form caused delirium in non-awakened humans*. The Veil was more about keeping werewolf society a secret from mundane human organization, and even then it hardly carried the stigma that a masquerade infraction has on a camarilla kindred.

*edit: Unless you took that flaw that removed such effect. Yep, 4-5 B.P. at character creation (iirc, could be even less, WW can't balance things for shit :lol: ) in exchange for one of the most useful passives in all of the WoD!

Yeah, werewolves didn't treat that secrecy that seriously, compared to vampires with their Masquerade, but even with delirium, you could still get caught on camera in werewolf form or while shapeshifting or something, if you were dumb enough and you didn't have a Glass Walker to take care of this.

And in my experience, that particular flaw seemed to be pretty popular. I remember a Metis Child of Gaia Ahroun with that flaw... he totally sucked.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Looks like they have no game to show yet? (Not surprising it's been only a year in development, I guess.)

Also no confirmation of "Earth Blood" subtitle seen.

Xeon

Augur
Wonder if the models in the first picture are concept art or an isometric model or something.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"The Official Video Game" is silly. Of course it's official; if it wasn't, you'd get a Cease & Desist letter followed by a lawsuit if you ignored it.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
https://www.gamesradar.com/humans-h...apocalypse-the-werewolves-are-taking-it-back/

Humans have f*cked up the world, and in the RPG Werewolf: The Apocalypse, the werewolves are taking it back
By Zoe Delahunty-Light 17 hours agoNews

Werewolves are finally getting their own RPG, set in a reality where evil corporations are trying to destroy humanity

Vampires are about as common in video games as zombies. It’s about time that their supernatural cousins, werewolves, finally made a comeback in their very own action RPG. And sure enough, White Wolf’s upcoming game Werewolf: The Apocalypse is a breath of fresh air (with just a hint of the smell of wet dog). Heavily based on fluid combat, exploration, and the ability to complete quests however you like, the story is focused on getting revenge on the corporation that’s corrupting the environment. I spoke to Game Director Julien Desourteaux and Project Manager Guillaume Blanchard about Werewolf: The Apocalypse, keeping a lid on your temper, and just how humanity kind of brought all this devastation upon themselves.

Dog-eat-dog world
This action RPG has you step into the shoes - or paws - of a member of the Fianna tribe, an Irish group of werewolves who prize family over everything. Yet you’re an outcast, a veteran of battle that has turned into a lone wolf (literally). After spending some time alone in the wild, you’ll be called back to help your ex-pack out of a spot of bother, as something’s happened to your son, which probably doesn’t bode well. At its heart Werewolf: The Apocalypse is a story of the bond between a father and son, but you’d be forgiven for forgetting about your son thanks to all the general devastation in the world around you.

In the words of Desourteaux, “take our world, paint it darker, and you have our game”. Set in the modern day, the world of Werewolf is ruled by three entities: Gaia, the Weaver, and the Wyrm. Gaia is a chaotic creative force, bringing beings into life and governing nature. It’s not left entirely to chance, though, as hovering around Gaia organising the planet is the Weaver, which Desourteaux calls a “representation of human expansion - it’s like a big net that’s trying to fix everything; imagine a network that’s growing and that became totally crazy”. Trying to cope with everything that us humans are doing - polluting, animal testing, corporate greed - is far too much for the Weaver to cope with, and has driven it haywire. Then underneath it all you have the Wyrm. Originally existing “to be the balance between the fixing entity and the creating entity”, says Desourteaux, it’s all gone a bit wrong. “Because the Weaver is too big, he says that the Wyrm “became crazy, so now it’s like a black hole trying to destroy everything”. As the main force of evil in the game, the Wyrm feeds off anger, fear, and sorrow, and can corrupt humans distressingly easily.

With Gaia fading fast, you’re its last hope. It’s up to you how you fight to keep Gaia alive, as there’s three forms to choose from when it comes to taking down enemies. Lupus is a traditional four-legged wolf, perfect for tracking, stealth, and exploring. Sneak through a wild, open area and observe your enemies in this form before deciding whether to confront them as a Crynod - a fancy word for a human - or a Crinos, your traditional werewolf: big, angry, and very bloodthirsty. As a human you can chat to fellow humans to get valuable intel, but an even better feature of this form is its opposable thumbs. Those nifty joints let you hack into security devices, use your hand-crafted crossbow, and do silent takedowns. But if you really want to do damage, unleash your fury as a Crinos. Ripping people apart is no problem with their massive claws and endless fury, so they’re the best option for when you’re facing a room full of the Wyrm’s forces. But be careful, because if you let your temper get the better of you your allies won’t be too happy… because they’ll be dead. By your hand.

Throw your friends to the wolves
See, the whole game is built around managing your rage meter. As an emissary of Gaia, you have a special affinity to the natural world and you know that us humans have been royally screwing up. The more you find out about what we’ve been up to - pollution, drilling in natural areas, submitting to greed - the more your rage meter will increase. Sometimes it can be as simple as finding a document mentioning oil spills when you’re exploring as a Lupus, other times you’ll be talking to an NPC and they’ll mention some environmental hazard going down nearby.

As Desourteaux puts it, “the question we want to ask the character is ‘when will you rage’?”. When your rage meter fills up, you can unleash it in a devastating range of powerful attacks as the Krynos, with each finishing move slightly lowering your rage. If you’d rather stealth than start ripping apart everything in sight, there are apparently ways to manage your anger and make sure it doesn’t get too high. Because what Desourteaux wants most is for the “player to change forms and analyse situations”, turning into a Krynos when it best suits them rather than feeling like they have to give in to their rage in the quests being thrown their way.

Tearing apart your enemies looks deliciously fun. Be careful, though. Indulge too much in that ferocious behaviour and you’ll go into Frenzy mode, where your attacks become especially devastating. If you stay in Frenzy mode too long, you run the risk of being ‘touched by the Wyrm’, which is an immediate game over as its corrupting influence, well, corrupts you. To end Frenzy mode and ensure this doesn’t happen, you need to kill everyone around you, according to Desourteaux. Even your friends. “You have to kill your allies as well,” he says, “because you see them as a threat. When you go into Frenzy, you’re not able to recognise everybody - everyone looks like a threat”. Like an awkward family reunion, the game will remember that you massacred your friends. Your brutality will affect future quests, the ways NPCs behave towards you, and even what kind of enemies you face.

Professional discourtesy
Ah yes, the enemies. All our conspiracy theories about mega-corporations being the bane of all evil are true in Werewolf: The Apocalypse. Controlling all these evil corporations is the Pantex organisation. Drilling for oil, destroying the environment for monetary gain, and generally being an ominous group who have quite a lot in common with the Illuminati, they’re bad news. “Pantex have taken all the blood from Gaia and now they’re taking the last breath”, as Desourteaux puts it. All thanks to their devotion to the Wyrm. “All the mega corporations do the bidding of the Wyrm because of their greed,” says Blanchard, “but Pantex goes one bit further because they know about the Wyrm”. They're deliberately tapping into the Wyrm’s power. Which perhaps isn’t that surprising considering that Pantex is run by vampires. And we all know how well vampires and werewolves get along...

Werewolf: The Apocalypse is “a fiction at the edge of reality”, says Desourteaux. It’s taken everything that’s wrong with our world and twisted it ever so slightly into something secretive and malevolent. It might appear like destroying the planet with environmental callousness is the central aim of Pantex’s companies, but Desourteaux tells me that as “you go deeper and deeper, things gets darker and darker”. Currently there’s no confirmed release date although it will be out on consoles and PC, so we’ll be eagerly keeping an eye out for any news as it comes our way.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
"The Official Video Game" is silly. Of course it's official; if it wasn't, you'd get a Cease & Desist letter followed by a lawsuit if you ignored it.
Maybe market research has "shown" that the words "The Official ______" does something to the human brain and that's why they keep doing that silly thing?

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
how come I only knew about this now. Is paradox involved? I don't see any mention of them

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom