Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Detection is influenced by Perception. Moving no longer causes you to lose the spell slot, which is decline.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I am watching the stream and this feels more like a "sid meier's pirates",not much of a rpg feel. The loot seems unrealistic and the whole ship thing could become old really really fast. That battle was like 10 minutes.

Ent

Savant
It seems like a good way to make money. Wait does this mean that there is infinite money in the game?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Was that it? One hour of sailing around and fighting other ships. From what i saw the best strategy is to have four cooks on the deck and rush the ship for a boarding fight. Really hope that they have an option to forbid the deckhands to join in the battle. Really hate when my useless strong hold is attacked and my useless hirelings get slouthered because they wanted to fight....even when they are some kind of clerk.

Ent

Savant
It looks like once you have a suffciently large ship you can one round some of these encounters if you have long ranged cannons. Probably going to lose out on looting enemy corpses tho.

well, thats my first friend who ragequit. couldn't beat maerwald. Went over to his house and he has every single character equipped with melee weapons charging in.
durance is his front line :negative:

Dude, we should have placed bets.

Lacrymas

Arcane
They are spending so much time PRing the shit out of the ship combat, while that will be a thing you do once or twice and never look at again. Until they force you to, that is.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Morkar Left

Not happy with it being turnbased. They should have just use the old but golden Pirates! fighting style with boarding option and some usable magic spells in an action bar. Would fit the existing game mechanics a lot more and would be faster by delivering the same - or even more fun - results.
And I hope there will be some trading demand as well to make that part of the game more sustainable (instead of just lootfarming other ships).

Quillon

Arcane
https://www.mcvuk.com/business/vers...-the-top-tier-rpg-developers-plain-and-simple

Versus Evil: Obsidian is ‘one of the top-tier RPG developers. Plain and simple’
We have a chat with Steve Escalante, general manager at Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire publisher Versus Evil, about working with Obsidian, crowdfunding and his sales expectations for the title

In the five years since its inception, Versus Evil has published a dozen indie titles, with Anti Hero, Let Them Come and Guild of Dungeoneering being its most recent successes. And of course there’s Stoic’s The Banner Saga, one of Kickstarter’s early success stories.

However, with Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire, Versus Evil seems to be upping its game.

“Before I started Versus Evil, I was at Bethesda for five years. We’ve all worked on big triple-A projects,” general manager Steve Escalante tells MCV. “So to dive into something like Pillars of Eternity really expands the knowledge that we’ve always had.

“We are starting to focus on more genres that make sense for us as a publisher, that complement the experiences that I’ve had in my 18 years in this business. And RPG as a genre happens to be one of them.”

Picking up this specific project was a no-brainer for Versus Evil, Escalante explains: “First and foremost, it’s Obsidian and they are one of the top-tier RPG developers. Plain and simple. Having been a fan of RPGs for most of my life, it was a bit of a geek-out phase for myself going ‘Wow, this would be really amazing if we can work with the Obsidian teams’.”

He continues: “If you’re a fan of RPGs, [Deadfire] is the one you need to play. Being able to dive into a big RPG again is what I’m the most excited about but the setting and everything that they’ve done is just fantastic. The systems, the stories and the dynamic that they bring with them are just awesome.”

With the title being crowdfunded, it slightly changes what is expected from the publisher. However, Versus Evil is no stranger to this situation.

“We’ve been dealing with crowdfunded titles, The Banner Saga being one of them, so we’re very familiar with the process,” Escalante says. “We need to go into the deal understanding that there are a bunch of promises that have been made to consumers. So really it just affects your initial planning, if nothing else. Crowdfunding campaigns are really interesting because they help build the brand and the excitement.”

Games like Pillars of Eternity benefit from a very keen and vocal community, which helps to spread the word about the sequel. As a result, Escalante has high expectations for Deadfire.

“Putting it plainly we hope and expect that we can meet or exceed the launch of Pillars,” he says. “Our goal is to build on the brand. We hope to not only bring in our former fans, but build on that and expand the audience.”

This echoes perfectly what Obdisian’s producer Josh Sawyer told us as well: Deadfirehas the potential to outsell its predecessor.

“We’d love for it to do even better than Pillars and I think it can,” Sawyer says. “I’m hopeful that if we are really delivering for our fans and working well with the publishing partner, that it can outperform [Pillars] in every way.”

Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire is out on April 3rd. If you want to learn more, you can also read our interview with Obsidian's producer Josh Sawyer.

Lacrymas

Arcane
The aggressively boring text-based segments won't appeal to normies, though. If they wanted to emphasize BIG! COLORFUL! NOT GRIM! like we are in daycare, they should've explored some islands. Oh, wait, there are no islands to explore, my bad.

Last edited:

Efe

Erudite
if they reduced exploration to cyoa modules it becomes a visual novel

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The aggressively boring text-based segments won't appeal to normies, though.

Maybe they will, maybe they won't. But it's the idea of them that matters. I was responding to your post about how they're spending a lot of time promoting the ships. I think that's a smart thing to do because it's a thing that sets the game apart and makes it less of a "more of the same" sequel, to use the term from Vault Dweller's editorial.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Maybe they will, maybe they won't. But it's the idea of them that matters. I was responding to your post about how they're spending a lot of time promoting the ships. I think it's a smart thing to do because it's a thing that sets the game apart and makes it less of a "more of the same" sequel, to use the term from Vault Dweller's editorial.

It should be more of the same, but better. That's why it's a sequel and not a different game. Did someone complain that BG2 is "more of the same"? They've changed the combat system somewhat, so emphasize that if you want to point out how "different" it is. If you are even a little bit gaming savvy you'll immediately recognize the ship combat for the throwaway time-waster mini-game that it truly is, but that it also bleeds in with the proper gameplay, soiling it as well. And even if you aren't, it's blatantly obvious that it won't appeal to normies, if it will appeal to anyone at all in this context.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom