Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Shroud of the Avatar - Lord British's Not-Ultima Online 2

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
So u get to grind alone.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
If you don't PK your fellow man you make baby Richard cry (and God kills a puppy)

Zep--

McPlusle

Savant
Is there even anything left of this game? Does the remaining money just go to MarkeeDragon's shill streams of the "game?"

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
(Time permitting) I might actually give this a try. I got the game for FREE so...

I finally found some decent reviews for the (as of November) the state of the game, on Youtube. And also found a guy that listed both PRO's and CON's of the current state (and we was fair with both assessments). From what I have been seeing so far..... this really is shaping up to be a game LIKE Ultima Online. I'm actually impressed with the (what little I have seen) mechanics of the game, from video's. I'll give it a go and see...

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In

Stokowski

Arcane

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Dayyymn. That's some trailer trash level of child naming going on right there.

What did you expect?

Garriott says "Suck it, Knave"

dicks 1.jpg

Zep--

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
OK! With over 30 40 50+ hours of playing, here is a summary of what I think:

This *IS* Basically Ultima Online, the 3D version. There is TONS of crafting. Player Vendors and Player owned Towns. FISHING! Resources to harvest and craft. Skills/Crafting go up, the more you use them. Basically, all the same basic stuff found in Ultima Online.

It's still at EARLY ACCESS and on build 50. Performance is still very bad (it stutters and crawls), but most all the *basic* game-play is working and quite a bit of content. And even still playable (for the most part). Entering a Town is ugh, a slog fest of slowdowns. The "Adventure Areas" are pretty much ok and playable. And loading screens is just sooooo fucking long.

Basically there is a World Map you travel around. You can then enter Towns (even Player made ones) or Adventure Areas. Then a long ass loading screen, then you are plopped into where ever you wanted to go to. Town for selling loot/train/bank/craft the Adventure Areas are where you gain crafting resources and finish quests (and build up your abilities).

Towns: Every Town has a Bank where you store your crap. You are given a default 30 slots. To get more slots, you need to buy more with gold. The banks however are NOT connected (you can see what's in your bank at any Bank location), but you can only withdraw from a Bank from the exact one you placed items into. That's a tad fucking annoying, but manageable. There's always all the crafting station for all skills, and a combat and crafting trainer. As well as a merchant for all the other crafting materials you will need to craft items. Also a Player Vendor. Basically, sell shit, craft and throw crap into the Bank. You can also get quests from some towns too.

The game does feature a full Day/Night schedule (complete with NPC schedules). Most of the Plot/Quests character do not ever go to sleep and will ALWAYS be standing there, but many of the Merchants (to sell loot or get crafting materials) do go to bed and are on a schedule. Interestingly, this Day/Night schedule actually WORKS in a MMO, because of the basic activities: During the Day Time, you go to Adventure Areas and do quests/gain craft resources/get loot/keep leveling your skills, then when it starts to get dark, run to town and sell shit, craft, throw shit in the Bank and repeat. Of note, the Merchants go to bed during the Day, and come out early morning.

Adventure Areas: They all have a Tier rating (Like I, II, III etc...) and are color coded: Green: Not challenging, and you won't get any loot. Yellow: Challenging, you will get loot and resources just fine. Red: YOU WILL DIE LOLLOLOL You CAN enter ANY Adventure Area, just know the Red ones you are going to die, unless you are possibly good at spotting locations just to avoid monsters. Also Monsters will fight other monsters. This can create very interesting situations. For example, I'm fighting away at this EVIL ELF FIGHTER, and suddenly, this Doe comes running by, trying to avoid an attack from a huge fucking BEAR. The Bear kills the Doe and then looks around and spots me. R00fles! Anyways, it can be amusing to watch.

The combat is OK. You can be a Mage, Fighter or Ranger. But you are class-less and are free to take ANY abilities you want. Like I decided to focus on Maces/Shield/Earth Magic (Strength), Sun and Healing. So you play however you want. Combat consist of you clicking on a bar of abilities when fighting monsters. Heath and Focus (Mana) regenerate over time FAST out of Combat, but VERY SLOW in combat. Spells and Abilities consume Focus so you have to be mindful of that. This is where eating food comes in: It gives you a small bonus to health and focus regeneration. You of course can place what ever abilities in the bar (10 slots) so the attacks are always available (but on a timer) OR Just place a few skills you want for sure and lock them in place and then leave the rest blank. This is how the "Deck" combat works. As you fight, it will then select skills from a pool of your Deck you currently have equipped. So basically each battle will be randomly picking skills for you to attack with. This I actually like. It's a bit more involved but that's about it.

So for the most part (obviously) I'm enjoying it so far. I have NO idea what the higher End Game shit is, and don't care. I was just curious about the games basic functions. Other than the terrible performance and dreaded loading screens, I give it a thumbs up.

Anyways, back to the game, I'm about to make GARLIC CHEESE BREAD MOTHERFUCKERS! YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Last edited:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I know. But is it worthwhile?

I don't think so? You would not have access to any of the player economy. Though it might prove to be.... somewhat interesting? I have no idea story wise though. I don't think I am even on the *main quest* for Chapter 1.

Eggs is eggs

Learned
It's F2P now I believe so anyone can try it out. I did and didn't particularly enjoy it but I'm glad to know that others do enjoy it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom