Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Kingdom Come: Deliverance Released

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Uhh I kinda expected the game to turn out like this. While I still like it in general, it has massive issues.

Lots of bugs. FPS go 40-60 on GF 1080.

Very low interactivity, barely anything can be even picked up. To the point that people's houses have essentially two interactive items. The doors and chests with loot. There can be stuff lying around on tables, but it's just the part of scenery and can't be picked up.

Lots of load screens, even talking to npcs blacks out for a second. If it takes a noticeable while on a PCIE-E drive it probably takes quite a while on different HDDs as well.

But most of all, awful gameplay design. You either do quests as designed or not at all.
For instance first quest makes you collect some shit and go visit a teacher. You can't just go and give the shit back once collected, despite being told to do so quickly. Even the only dialog option is you still don't have those items, despite the fact you already do. No, you have to go and see the teacher first, get the beer warm, thus fucking up the request to do it fast, just to go fetch another one, because that's how it was scripted. And that's the opening quest.
Quests set you up to do stuff you know nothing about in terms of pure game mechanics. For instance you can go into a brawl with some drunk, but there was pretty much zero tutorial to practice their "incline" combat system (except a rather vague help screen), so your only way to train is actually reloading the whole quest several times.
Haggling mechanic makes the screen fade in and out to generic one line "dialogues" with every price change, making it last forever.
Controls and collisions are super wonky, so the FPP actually breaks immersion at every step instead of adding to it.
There are more, but those are just the few that slap you in the face minutes after start.

Historical accuracy, while probably one of the highest in games so far, is vastly exaggerated. For instance many armour pieces are modeled after modern reenactment items of disputable quality, but I admit the 3d models are very nice.

Last edited:

Vicar

Cipher
Patron
But most of all, awful gameplay design. You either do quests as designed or not at all.
For instance first quest makes you collect some shit and go visit a teacher. You can't just go and give the shit back once collected, despite being told to do so quickly. Even the only dialog option is you still don't have them, despite the fact you do. No, you have to go and see the teacher first, get the beer warm, thus fucking up the request to do it fast, just to go fetch another one, because that's how it was scripted.
This is actually an example of how there are different ways a quest can go. I didn't fuck up the request because I went to get the beer after seeing the teacher (you were told to get it last anyway, I don't understand how can you miss this and mess it up).

Van-d-all

Erudite
For instance first quest makes you collect some shit and go visit a teacher. You can't just go and give the shit back once collected, despite being told to do so quickly. Even the only dialog option is you still don't have them, despite the fact you do. No, you have to go and see the teacher first, get the beer warm, thus fucking up the request to do it fast, just to go fetch another one, because that's how it was scripted.
This is actually an example of how there are different ways a quest can go. I didn't fuck up the request because I went to get the beer after seeing the teacher (you were told to get it last anyway, I don't understand how can you miss this and mess it up).

I simply went after how it was logically connected. Got the money, bought coal, went for beer and was told the teacher was looking for me, so I first went to deliver the shit back, as asked, which the game simply did not allow me to do, as described.

It's shitlessly bad design. Should've been two separate quests, that both need to be cleared to come back and progress the story. Basic stuff really.

Last edited:

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
So far I'm enjoying it, good immersion and enjoyable world with good characters. I don't normally like cutscenes but these have been decent.

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
Quests set you up to do stuff you know nothing about in terms of pure game mechanics. For instance you can go into a brawl with some drunk, but there was pretty much zero tutorial to practice their "incline" combat system (except a rather vague help screen), so your only way to train is actually reloading the whole quest several times.
Haggling mechanic makes the screen fade in and out to generic one line "dialogues" with every price change, making it last forever.

Historical accuracy, while probably one of the highest in games so far, is vastly exaggerated. For instance many armour pieces are modeled after modern reenactment items of disputable quality, but I admit the 3d models are very nice.

I thought getting beat up by a drunk was a good way to set the tone of how inept your character is. I agree about the time it takes fading between dialogue. I expecting the options will open up once I get into the game proper although maybe you're not really testing the limits of what you can do, I've heard about some decent variation in how you can complete the starting quest. It might be a bit harsh serving it based on the prologue chapter.

Last edited:

Van-d-all

Erudite

I thought getting beat up by a drunk was a good way to set the tone of how inept your character is. I agree about the time it takes fading between dialogue. I expecting the options will open up once I get into the game proper. It might be a bit harsh serving it based on the prologue chapter.

I was considering this as well, but when I actually understood how the unarmed combat system works, that drunk was a really easy opponent. As for the game, I'm quite a bit further, but honestly it's the first chapter that sets the mood, and frankly I'm not too impressed. The cumbersome movement is always there, the design keeps doing basic mistakes that serve no purpose, and the open world feels somewhat pointless while I can't interact with anything. If it wasn't for the the plot, and the fact that setting is a dream come true for my medieval fanboyism, I'd be disappointed.

Nael

Arcane

I simply went after how it was logically connected. Got the money, bought coal, went for beer and was told the teacher was looking for me, so I first went to deliver the shit back, as asked, which the game simply did not allow me to do, as described.

It's shitlessly bad design. Should've been two separate quests, that both need to be cleared to come back and progress the story. Basic stuff really.

Hmm... It let me deliver the stuff and then go back and deal with the trainer and beer separately. Maybe you just missed the dialogue option?

Van-d-all

Erudite

Hmm... It let me deliver the stuff and then go back and deal with the trainer and beer separately. Maybe you just missed the dialogue option?

Hmm. I'd have to be blind to miss that having to choose between two enormous sentences displayed on like 1/3 of the screen, with one of them being "No I didn't" and the other "End dialogue". I tried several times, and kept running around because I actually thought the game didn't register the 10 charcoals as proper quest items and I was supposed to somehow get a "charcoal bag". The only possibility I see, is that somehow steam omitted installing the 0day patch.

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
I encountered the same thing. I couldn't deliver the goods for papa until I had done the sword training. It was kind of odd, I was thinking I'll be a good boy and finish papa's task then go and play swords. But couldn't give fatherman the goods.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
They implemented animations each time you pick a flower ... and it cannot be disabled.

M. AQVILA

Arcane
Gonna pirate this game as to not give any money to edgy alt-righters lol.
Yeah, cause stealing from someone who has different views is so progressive.

worldssmallestviolin.gif

We're having this conversation on a forum where articles are quoted in their entirety to avoid giving gaming journalists clicks lol.

I would think boycotting fake news is entirely different from pirating games from a company that is not even alt-right just to piss the alt-right.

Chrio

Novice
Gonna pirate this game as to not give any money to edgy alt-righters lol.

Dont forget to ask your girlfriends son if you can use his pc, it isnt a good experience on consoles from what Ive heard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom