Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

bylam

Funcom
Developer
Deep Silver only did the physical releases of the game, if I recall correctly.

They must have put in more money than just what they are getting for the retail boxes. The game has a Deep Silver splash screen and "deep silver presents" is in the credits. Color me skeptical to their involvement being purely retail.

The team and budget were larger than I thought. Personally enjoying the bits of the game I get to play in between cutscenes. Trying to get more time with it this weekend.

Kaivokz

Arcane
Game looks beautiful, runs at 60 FPS... crashes to desktop after ~5-10 minutes of play. Enjoyed what I saw so far, but... can't make any progress even if I wanted to deal with it b/c of checkpoint/schnapps system.

I got to the point where Bianca gave me schnapps the first time I started the game, but didn't want to use it right away and crashed when I went up to the castle.

Devs should not make limited save/checkpoint systems, especially if they can't make the game stable enough to last the duration between tutorial checkpoints.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Kem0sabe actually it was you who once replied to me that "outside of Prague everyone wants to suck your cock for a bag of peanuts" .. that was so good it shall be the line I always remember of you :lol:

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Deep Silver only did the physical releases of the game, if I recall correctly.

They must have put in more money than just what they are getting for the retail boxes. The game has a Deep Silver splash screen and "deep silver presents" is in the credits. Color me skeptical to their involvement being purely retail.

The team and budget were larger than I thought. Personally enjoying the bits of the game I get to play in between cutscenes. Trying to get more time with it this weekend.
There's a solid chance I am completely off point but if this was a full DS title it would have had Denuvo and day one DLC like most of their titles do, also Warhorse is listed as the one and only publisher on Steam.

Codex Year of the Donut
The team started at , made the prototype, went to kickstarter, then 2K closed Prague office, so Warhorse hired around 30 people, then kept hiring throughout the development to current cca 120 people.
Budget closest estimate is 15 million USD.

Interesting when you consider 120 people is approx 15 million dollars a year at 10k per person per month, and the development has many different costs. Personally I reckon that 15 is too conservative and 30 is probably the total spend, although hey voice acting is obviously budget
?? 10k per person per month?
I don't make that much working as a programmer for a medical devices company in USA. Game development companies notoriously pay less than pretty much everywhere else.
And the programmers are a small part of the overall company — while admittedly paid the most. Artists, designers, etc., are paid far less.
That's not even a good estimate if the company was in USA let alone a poor(no offense intended) central European country.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
I'm surprised I haven't seen the music mentioned more. I think the dynamic system really works well. It overall sounds more like Skyrim mixed with some old Czech movies, but the transitions are more seamless and less noticeable. Very pleasant.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The team started at , made the prototype, went to kickstarter, then 2K closed Prague office, so Warhorse hired around 30 people, then kept hiring throughout the development to current cca 120 people.

Interesting when you consider 120 people is approx 15 million dollars a year at 10k per person per month, and the development has many different costs. Personally I reckon that 15 is too conservative and 30 is probably the total spend, although hey voice acting is obviously budget
I don't make that much working as a programmer for a medical devices company in USA. Game development companies notoriously pay less than pretty much everywhere else.
And the programmers are a small part of the overall company — while admittedly paid the most. Artists, designers, etc., are paid far less.
That's not even a good estimate if the company was in USA let alone a poor(no offense intended) central European country.

10k includes office space, software licenses, healthcare and payroll tax. That's a lot of $$$ for businesses that isn't counted in salary. I imagine in Eastern Europe is pay is 2k a month though it still probably adds up to about 5k because yeah office space etc.

Anyway, wow 2k for Eastern Europe, that explains why Witcher 3 was financially possible to develop I guess lul

Paul_cz

Arcane

I am saying budget. That includes all the voiceovers in several languages, office rent, equipment, actors, Rudolfinum recorded soundtrack, renting space in Karlin for mocap etc.

Also, taxes are insane. As an example, when someone is paid 1000 US dollars net salary per month, company actually has to pay almost 2000 USD, government pockets the extra grand. (and then of course the 1000 still gets taxed by VAT and all the other taxes, so poor fucking employee gets around 40% of what he earns).

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Makabb who has a pretty decent taste compared to that.
You must be his fellow No Man's Sky enthusiast.

You seem to have lived under a rock for the last years. I tried to rip him several new assholes in the New Man's Sky thread but eventually realized that he is at least interested in the right kind of games.

No Man's is a pile of vomit. But at least they tried. If Daniel Vavra had been in Sean Murphy's shoes, it would consist of you flying from planet to planet and experiencing everything through cutscenes on which your parents explain to you what the planets are like.

Codex Year of the Donut

10k includes office space, software licenses, healthcare and payroll tax. That's a lot of $$$ for businesses that isn't counted in salary. I imagine in Eastern Europe is pay is 2k a month though it still probably adds up to about 5k because yeah office space etc.

Anyway, wow 2k for Eastern Europe, that explains why Witcher 3 was financially possible to develop I guess lul
Offices for game developers is funny.
it's common to just stick them all in a single room and say it's a positive thing, here's Rich Geldreich(former Valve employee)'s take on it:
https://richg42.blogspot.com/2015/01/open-office-spaces-and-cabal-rooms-suck.html

game dev companies generally treat their employees terribly

Trashos

Arcane
I think some of you are talking about monthly pay and some of you are talking about yearly pay. I don't know much about the finances there, but I 'd expect 10k euros to be yearly pay there.

I am keeping an eye on this game, although it is probably not for me. No saves at will (fixed by modders, I know), timed quests, learn-by-doing systems, cutscene after cutscene, all things that I don't appreciate. Nevertheless, congrats to the team for delivering and I am rooting for you.

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
Yo Smejki what's up with that lockpicking on a controller? Is it working as intended or have you made it accidentally more brutal than you wanted? Because crying over lockpicking is almost as loud as crying over saving.
I've forwarded this feedback.
I have no idea how it controls with gamepad
vE1YouDB_400x400.png

but I've lived with the impression it's harder on m+k. Seems I was wrong then.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't know much about the finances there, but I 'd expect 10k euros to be yearly pay there.
You are also a bit too pessimistic. I imagine an average MONTHLY salary of 1-1.5k euros for a normal developer (not senior or sth similar) is probably where it is. That would mean 15-20k per year depending on bonuses/presents and what not.

10k euro monthly is an insane number even in Germany, only projekt managers might get such salaries (even before taxes, so that after taxes it would be like 7-8k - still insane)

Mortmal

Arcane
When I try to change graphics settings (going from Medium to High for example), the game starts loading and never returns. Did anyone else encounter this?
Happened to me once, it does load its just it will take you 10 min...

Trashos

Arcane
I don't know much about the finances there, but I 'd expect 10k euros to be yearly pay there.
You are also a bit too pessimistic. I imagine an average MONTHLY salary of 1-1.5k euros for a normal developer (not senior or sth similar) is probably where it is. That would mean 15-20k per year depending on bonuses/presents and what not.

10k euro monthly is an insane number even in Germany, only projekt managers might get such salaries (even before taxes, so that after taxes it would be like 7-8k - still insane)

I see. Well, I was still closer to the truth than most. ;)

Elex

Arbiter
all wounds are the same or certain injuries require more than sleep?

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Is there dismemberment? would make sense considering all the sword play.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom