Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Got to Peshek's Mill. Thoroughly enjoying it so far. The world building is top notch. Obviously it's a great looking game, but it's nice to see that extends to things like the UI, loading art, and stuff. The art direction is wonderful. Music is also great, particularly the piece that plays when you're walking back into Skalitz. Not sure about the combat yet - it has potential but it feels clunky right now. The loading screens are a drag; I can live with it but I hope that gets improved in patches. Haven't noticed any terrible bugs yet like all the pro game reviewers warned me of.

Beastro

Arcane
Hopefully someone will make a mod that will put all the settlement names into proper German ones~
Die, Beastro, die.

Games like Paradox ones I always redo the Eastern European regions to German, or Russian ones if they're apart of their empire or further east like Kiev is, when I can. Same with Chinese ones into Wade-Giles since I can't stand the modern Chinese Anglicization and Dalmatian ones to Italian, Turkish ones to Greek.

Also make Derry into Londonderry, Strasbourg to Strassburg, etc.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
What's with the marker for the Rattay Bailiff? Puts him in front of the Armourer's shop, and it's not like anyone gave me directions.

Edit: Found it. I thought I'd checked all the stairs.

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Since we're pestering Smejki already, can you guys add the ability to disable markers on the compass? Obviously the ship has already sailed re needing the quest markers at all but I'd much rather have to open the map to see them than to always have them on my screen.

You can deselect quests in the quest log and they stop showing up on the compass. Dunno about markers for shops/points of interest though.
Yeah but they also stop showing up on the map too, then. Sadly due to the game's design, sometimes having the quest markers somewhere is necessary, I'd just like it to not always be on the main HUD in that case.

Also, on an unrelated note, Godwin is a total 100% bropriest :love:

imweasel

I've been playing for a few hours. I haven't run into any major bugs and it runs fine on my rig with high settings @60 FPS. Gameplay and the UI are clunky, but the game itself is nice so far. Too early to say if the game is actually good or not though.

The game looks great.
The game has obligatory quest markers. What do you have to say about that after you complained about the optional quest markers in Elex?

Just curious. :cool:

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Since we're pestering Smejki already, can you guys add the ability to disable markers on the compass? Obviously the ship has already sailed re needing the quest markers at all but I'd much rather have to open the map to see them than to always have them on my screen.
Yeah, it's a shame that you can't disable the compass markers while still keeping the map markers.

I'm just a couple of hours in and still in the tutorial, but I'm already feeling a bit addicted. I have an i5-4590, 8 GB of RAM and GTX 1060 3GB, and the game runs well enough with a mix of medium and high settings, not super smooth but not having any notable drops in FPS either. The only nuisance so far has been the occasional loading screen before entering dialogue. Those seem pretty random as well, with a long cutscene starting immediately but a three-second conversation with a drunkard requiring a fifteen-second loading time. Haven't run into any notable bugs yet, no crashes either, so no real complaints here. Save & Quit can't come quickly enough, though, and I wish there was a way to pause cutscenes (or is there?).

The combat seems fun and has more weight to it than I expected. I'm really loving the attention to detail in the setting and the mechanics, from alcohol to alchemy and from the disguise system to the whole visibility/conspicuousness/charisma thing depending on the clothes you're wearing, and a ton of other things in between. No idea how well that stuff really works in practice, but I've been wanting to see something like that for ages. Mechanics that make sense are an endangered species nowadays, and KCD's approach is like a breath of fresh air.

I completely suck at lockpicking too. Hopefully it's just the character skill that's lacking...

The cutscenes were one thing I wasn't all that excited about, as in a game like this I'd ideally like to be in control of my character at all times. However, the cutscenes are really well made and entertaining to watch, reminding me a lot of Mafia, so I haven't minded them at all yet. Really liking the writing as well, and for example the lengthy scene with dad was really nice, having a lot of substance without feeling even a little bit preachy or fake.

So far I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

PrettyDeadman

Oh, yay, another medieval open-world "RPG" in which everyone probably acts like an unpleasant person in an attempt to be "realistic". We don't have enough of those. Pass.
Most of people act nice in this game...
Nicer than people act in real life because they've lost their traditions, faith in god, respect for fellow countrymen, authority, elders or neighboors I.E. the class.
616.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Ruchy

Scholar
Yeah but they also stop showing up on the map too, then. Sadly due to the game's design, sometimes having the quest markers somewhere is necessary, I'd just like it to not always be on the main HUD in that case.

I am fairly certain Smejki said that compass markers can be turned off in the registry, cannot find the actual post though so I may be a a filthy liar.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
So, since you kids have now played it, how are the rpg elements? Good like in Arcanum, or almost non-existent like in the other console games you kids like?

They're pretty good. Seems like most of the choice revolves around HOW you complete things, ala Deus Ex style. But with additional RPG elements added in. There's also a lot of the game you'll likely end up missing. But the whole "THE WORLD GOES ON WITHOUT YOU" narrative seems a bit overblown so far. Still hardly into the game but just my observation thus far.

Ex. Need to get something from person A.
Options:
1. Persuade A to give you item
-------------a. Bribe A to give you item.
-------------b. Threaten A to give you item.
2. Break into A's home to steal item
3. Kill A, take key, take item
4. Pickpocket A, take key, take item.
------------a. Wait for A to get drunk for easier pickpocketing
------------b. Poison A for easier pickpocketing

How are the rpg mechanics? How is character generation, character building, itemization?

Skills are increased the more you use them, similar to Elder Scrolls games, but better. Get into a few fist fights and see "hand to hand improved" pop up on the screen. The game also has a Base character level that acts more as a tracker of progress than an actual character progression. However in addition to that there are certain traits you can get once you improve your skill to a certain level. For example improve your Charisma to level 2 and you can unlock a trait called "Manly Odor", improves your talking to the ladies by a certain percentage but lowers your stealth.The game does a really good job pairing positives with negatives in the trait tree, encouraging specialized gameplay and preventing you from just being good at everything.

Equipment makes sense and you dress in layers. Wear plate without a Gambeson underneath, and you take more damage. Plate is worse vs. Piercing, ect. Equipment isn't hard to find per se, but isn't easy either. Most bandits you kill will have something, but after a few it's not exactly an upgrade. Things also suffer wear and tear and get dirty so frequent baths and clothe washings is a thing.

Thanks for the explanation. I may have to pick this up in a Christmas sale. I can't believe people whined about the cost of Grimoire but gladly plopped down 50% more for a console game with a console UI and a lead character that is an altra-soft spoken prettyboy we can only infer has strong pedophiliac tendencies. I guess that's better than a long-haired mini-man albino. But far off from being worth $60.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
I just got to Talmberg and enjoying it so far. The music, graphics and worldbuilding are great. However, the loading screens are a drag -- I can live with it -- and the combat felt clunky, such as the
fist fight with Kunnesh and practice sword fight in the sheep farm.

There was a point when you
escape Skalitz and had to avoid those horse archers, and they did some serious damage.
That was a pain in the ass.

I'm looking forward to getting out of the tutorial phase and getting better at combat.

imweasel

So, jumping gives your character 1 XP for vitality. Jump 100+ times, while you are hiking or something, and you gain a new level in vitality. :roll:

Come on, mechanics like these were already stupid when Oblivion was released. This is supposed to be an RPG and not an exercise simulator.

PrettyDeadman

So, jumping gives your character 1 XP for vitality. Jump 100+ times, while you are hiking or something, and you gain a new level in vitality. :roll:

Come on, mechanics like these were already stupid when Oblivion was released. This is supposed to be an RPG and not an exercise simulator.
Ill try a combination of auto key presser and cheat engine speedhack today.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
If bethesda released this game the codex would agree that it is shit.

The only thing I enjoyed from the first < 2 hours or so is the atmosphere. The rest is Bethesda tier clunky. Pondering whether I should go on or refund this.

PrettyDeadman

Its so painful reading a bunch of retards on reddit and other resources going on and on about "eurojank". Kingdom Come is on one of the most polished open world rpgs in my recent memory both in terms of technical quality and content quality (gameplay systems, worldbuilding, story and character).

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
There is a certain horse named Pie who is absolutely infuriating to locate.

Tigranes

Arcane
Just got to Neuhof, loving it. It seems an odd mix of railroaded, carefully scripted story events & 'open world', but the writing is good and the atmosphere in the hare hunt is amazing, everything from the forest to the hares to the 'quest'.

Seethe

Arbiter
Holy shit the combat is pure fucking garbage. If you unironically like this and call it "realistic", you are fucked in the head. It's one of those "1 v 3 fights in which you fight 1 guy and the other 2 stare at you" games.

And the way enemies robotically align with you perfectly in combat is really awkward looking, it's like you're pulling them with a magnet or something. Hobos seem to know how to do pro combat moves as well. Whoever called this game's combat JANK, was correct.

Last edited:

Murk

Arcane

So I should play this game with a series of AHK scripts, eh?

Villagkouras

Arcane
When I try to change graphics settings (going from Medium to High for example), the game starts loading and never returns. Did anyone else encounter this?

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
The edgelords are out. I am still in what might be described as a honeymoon phase so will refrain for judgement for now.

Geckabor

Savant
I've barely done any side quests up till now, I'm really having a lot of fun with the main quest actually. The hunting quest with Hans was really nice, for some reason I am getting attached to these main characters. :incline:

Beowulf

Arcane
Stopped after playing for the whole day. Finished Ginger's quest, but haven't gone to Uzhitz yet, instead decided to comb through side quests.

I actually think the story so far is pretty derivative. Blacksmith's son, revenge, muh political intrigue, muh good nobles and asshole nobles, it's cliched as fuck generic medieval rags to riches story, which would've been bad if there were lots of medieval games, but there aren't, so it's totally acceptable.

I have similar thoughts. So far it is cliché ridden, but those are decent clichés and help to set the atmosphere.

Bug reported. Need repro!

Hell no. I'm not replaying that segment again.
As for a description how it happened: I just pressed the default X to get on the horse and started pressing directional keys to move the horse around and leave the stall, and it just started levitating. As I couldn't dismount, I somehow managed to align it with its position in the stall, and by pressing "move backward" it just descended to the ground and I was able to ride it normally.

Also +1 for the Save & Quit, will be a godsend, until then I'm going to use that helpfully linked mod whenever I quit.

As for the slow tutorial, I would have been in the camp saying that's too long and unnecessary introduction, but after trying to introduce my non-gaming gf to the Witcher, I can see the advantages of a tutorial gradually introducing mechanics and being more of slow-burner. Now I'm thinking, I should let her try the beginning of KCD and see if she will appreciate it more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom