Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Whats Deus Ex about?

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
It's about Flatlander Woman taking her best shot.

Sjukob

Arcane
160a0fce7e27f09b49238f5b7131d017096f7d42e3dab35abebd7b1920a47435.jpg

A user named cat

What the hell kind of criterion is "first person game" anyway?

Might as well judge stuff as best pixel art game.
Deus Ex is all encompassing you fucking brain pleb. Calling it an FPS or anything else would be a disservice. It's far above tired ass Doom, Thief and all other first person games from every sub genre. THIS IS NOT UP FOR DEBATE.

Ninjerk

Arcane
It's about taking one long look at Manderley's dead body and considering that my resignation.

Also acquiring PILLS against my orders.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Sheldon Pacotti's meditation on the role of government in the postmodern era, layered on top of a 1990s conspiracy pastiche.

I think this is correct. Deus Ex was exploring globalization and the erosion of traditional moral systems. If there is no god, how does a godlike human -- and later, a godlike AI -- behave?

Also, it was a subtle cultural criticism of white cultural appropriation vis a vis the use of terrible voice acting.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Sheldon Pacotti's meditation on the role of government in the postmodern era, layered on top of a 1990s conspiracy pastiche.

I think this is correct. Deus Ex was exploring globalization and the erosion of traditional moral systems. If there is no god, how does a godlike human -- and later, a godlike AI -- behave?

Also, it was a subtle cultural criticism of white cultural appropriation vis a vis the use of terrible voice acting.
The human organism always worships. First, it was the gods, then it was fame--the observation and judgement of others--next, it will be the self-aware system you have built to realize truly omnipresent observation and judgement.

ShadowSpectre

Arbiter
We can't forget Deus Ex's great use of major conspiracies and leaked CIA documents that contributed to how great the predictive insights were along with the political and social commentary.

Deus Ex is just one of those games that will keep proving the test of time. I can't imagine any video-game writer from today even coming close or attempting those kinds of themes on the level that was reached with Deus Ex.

I also think it deserves mention that the game lets you go about your video-game business killing "enemies" and doing evil shit per the status quo, but the game does make you think that maybe those "terrorists" aren't really the bad guys and you have in fact been fighting the wrong enemy all along. Then the game makes it quite clear that hey, maybe you were being a bastard and Paul was right. When things flip around later in the game it definitely made me pause and realize that I wasn't just playing any ordinary game in that aspect either.

Last edited:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
but the game does make you think that maybe those "terrorists" aren't really the bad guys and you have in fact been fighting the wrong enemy all along. Then the game makes it quite clear that hey, maybe you were being a bastard and Paul was right. When things flip around later in the game it definitely made me pause and realize that I wasn't just playing any ordinary game in that aspect either.
Far Cry 4 does it. Try new games sometimes.

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
Deus Ex is about going to a mall in Hong Kong, breaking into a liquor store next to a night club, drinking all the booze there, and spending the next very long stretch of time huddling in the corner of the robbed liquor store because you're too drunk to move or see properly.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I preferred throwing 20 forty bottles at a wall at lightning fast speed to make a waterfall of broken glass.

Ash

Arcane
Couldn't do that vanilla. GMDX feature. Bottles and plenty other such minor items were invincible, and also had no reactive physics when shot/melee'd. You could still throw them though, but they'd never break. Shooting them the bullets would simply pass into oblivion. You can also throw them at people to deal minor damage now too without having to do so from 10 meters up like vanilla.

Demonstration of most of these differences

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I think I just liked making mountains of soy food and forties in vanilla, but in GMDX I just threw them at walls.

Black

Arcane
Little known fact: there's a limit to how much soy food JC can eat, if you go above it you die instantly.

Firing white phosphorus rockets at groups of pigeons. Finding the weakest possible fire-based damage source and watching as urchins slowly burn to death from a cigarette-lighter-sized burn, while surrounded by canals. Promoting drink driving so long as it involves helicopters. Going WTF when your attempt to break the game triggers a glitch that looks like there's might have been a cut scene where Jock is revealed as an AI (an idea they used in IW).

And the sequel (HR aka the pretty good one) is about killing an entire corridor of civilians in order to cap one hostile, by throwing a vending machine at them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom