Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

Azarkon

Arcane
More likely he loved the simulation and sand box aspects of the game. It should be obvious to anyone that Vavra is not a CRPG fan in the traditional sense of tactical turn-based and party-based games, but entered the genre through open world, action simulation games like Oblivion, Mount and Blade, Witcher 3, Gothic, etc. His own game is also targeted towards the same crowd, though it expresses a different sensibility.

Hazey

Novice
This game has a striking resemblance to Oblivion. Did they do that on purpose? lol

The screenshots look like Oblivion but when you play it doesn't look and feel like it. Completely different feel to your character compared to Oblivion engine because of head bob and visible limbs.

Codex Year of the Donut
Probably already posted.. But from RPS's 'review'

It’s not a story that has much time for women. Since you play the pre-designated character, Henry, it’s down to the supporting cast to provide different perspectives. Unfortunately, female characters typically fall into the categories of maidenly love interest, prostitute or surrogate mother, in keeping with the portrait of a “purely patriarchal” society described by Kingdom Come’s historical database. I don’t know enough about 15th century Bohemia to address this, but I’m not sure the defence of historical accuracy extends to blokier character buffs like “Alpha Male”, which confers a +2 charisma boost when you visit the brothel.

Tedious macho elements aside, there are other questions about the depiction of the people of early 15th century Bohemia. During development director Daniel Vavra claimed that there were “no black people” present in the area of Bohemia covered at the time of Kingdom Come’s events and though the game doesn’t present the region as a bastion of monoethnicity, the issue of race deserves further examination. I’d especially like to read a critique of its portrayal of the Cumans, a Turkic nomadic people represented by other characters as vicious killers, who often feature among the ranks of your enemies.

Vavra has defended the research that went into the game’s racial diversity and apologised for some of his comments, and it’s important to note that the development has been a collaborative effort of more than 100 people rather than the work of one man. If Kingdom Come existed in a vacuum, the treatment of the Cumans might seem like a meaningful depiction of the othering of outsiders, which might in itself help us to understand characters and the setting. In reality, it’s reasonable to dig deeper into the game’s claims to accuracy in this and other regards now that the whole picture can be seen, and that’s something we’ll be doing.

Cant wait for the upcoming 8 article research essay.
How could you possibly portray a woman in this time period? This was before we pretended women and men are completely 100% equal.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
PSA: you can't complete Huntsman Berthold's quest in Rattay (the one in which you have to capture three nightingales in the woods), going for the reward locks you into the conversation and you cannot get out unless you kill the game.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Inclined first impressions.

As for the saving system - I personally like it (tho I wish they tweaked it a little). Moar hardcore, moar better. But seeing how much kasuals cry over it I would 100% remove it if I was Warhorse. It's just NOT worth the shitstorm.

Also I had been playing for about 5 hours today and I haven't run into a single bug. Not sayin' anything, just sayin'.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A save system like that doesn't work with all-or-nothing skills like pickpocket.
When a possible result from attempting to pick pockets is that the guards will be on your ass and you will need to reload to replay the last 20 minutes of playing, then you will simply never pick pockets.

However, I don't know how easy it will be to get that Schnaps, so it might be a non-issue, after all.
And the game has a console, so I am placing a bet on one of the first cheats to appear ;)

norolim

Arcane
I like how you cite famous Swedish research institutes like metro.co.uk :roll:
Read the articles, retard. Also, never said they were famous.
I read them. The article claims that the vikings were "muslim" because some scientists found on some Viking stuff "Allah" written. WOW WHAT A SCIENTIFIC ARTICLE
FFS, the article doesn't claim shit. An archaeologist does. From Uppsala University. How is that for a research institution? Anyway, I think you missed the point of my post, so nvm.

Deleted member 7219

Impressions after completing the opening section:

Presentation: Excellent, lots of polish although the interface looks console focused and unwieldy
Systems: Haven't got far enough in to have any views at this time, although lockpicking seems impossible and the combat is a little clumsy
Story: The thing that happens once you get through the tutorial is very well done although it is one long cutscene. Still, it helps explain why you - a peasant - suddenly get swept into the grand politics of the time.
Dialogue and Voice Acting: Nothing special, feels like any other European RPG, although the guy who voices your dad is really good
Graphics and Performance: Playing on medium, looks good, runs at around 30-40 FPS at 1920x1080 (Core 2 Quad 9660, GeForce 960, 8GB RAM)
Music: Really cheesy, like an early 90s TV show
Weighting Factor: SJWs seem to hate it for no reason 10/10

A tip - don't try to click past the opening movies or the game will crash. Just wait until the 'Skip' button appears, then you're safe. Also, don't even try to play it without updating your drivers.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
If you think lockpicking is impossible - try pickpocketing.

At least with lockpicking you can git gud - there is feedback that allows the player to learn by doing.
Pickpocket is basically a roulette and nothing seems to make a difference. Absolutely no cues for player on what goes wrong and how to git gud. At this point I just find a dark place and choke the bitches out if I really need an item, safer way instead of losing last 20 mins of the game, as pickpocketing results in 75% chance of getting big fine/jail time before even checking what's in the box, 20% of the same after you managed to start picking the actual pocket and sometimes you're lucky to land it all with remaining 5% success rate.

And save system is a nightmare implementation of good idea - I understand the idea behind limiting manual saving, but in that case it would be nice to have regular autosaves, not only on big quest milestones. Good luck in the executioner's house boys & girls, I lost about 15 minutes of game due to a bug that makes you stuck there. Apparently pretty common occurrence.

Not to mention - a moment ago I just had to switch beds at last visited location because one of the beds in the room saved and the other not.

A tip - don't try to click past the opening movies or the game will crash. Just wait until the 'Skip' button appears, then you're safe. Also, don't even try to play it without updating your drivers.

Same here. I was amazed this is 100% reproducible on my PC.

Other than those little irritating shitty things (amplified by occasional bugs, usually movement related - which require save reloads allowing the shittyness of the save system to really shine) - oh yeaah, this is good! The atmosphere, the worldbuilding, the "not 1 man army hero" (fuck, 1 vs 1 can be really tense, there is no such thing as easy combats or trash mobs here) - nailing it.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Regarding raining through roofs - Witcher 3 has this too, in many places.

How could you possibly portray a woman in this time period? This was before we pretended women and men are completely 100% equal.
There's an article on women in the in-game encyclopedia ("Codex").

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
How the fuck does stealing work?! I grab a bunch of stuff with nobody around, door closed. In the morning a guard catches me in the street fo stealing. How?! This is somewhat frustrating.

Darkzone

Arcane
I like how you cite famous Swedish research institutes like metro.co.uk :roll:
Read the articles, retard. Also, never said they were famous.
I read them. The article claims that the vikings were "muslim" because some scientists found on some Viking stuff "Allah" written. WOW WHAT A SCIENTIFIC ARTICLE
FFS, the article doesn't claim shit. An archaeologist does. From Uppsala University. How is that for a research institution? Anyway, I think you missed the point of my post, so nvm.
The best thing that there is a swastika above the "Allah" woven pattern in this garment. So this were the muslims according to Annika Larsson the textile archaeologist from the Uppsala University, because this woven pattern looks like the arabic word allah.
I say this were the Nazi-Muslims from the "We wuz Kangz n Sheit" planet.

titus

Arcane
Patron
Regarding raining through roofs - Witcher 3 has this too, in many places.
Not really an excuse.

Didn't really get any bugs excepting some rare AI pathfinding issues and some transition problems with lightning or whatever.

Regarding performance, I get 30-60 FPS at 1920x1200 with everything on Ultra High but the vegetation details and shadows which are on Medium with a GTX 970, 6gb RAM and a SSD. The FPS drops for a moment when transitioning from first person view to 3rd person while chatting to people, but that's about it.

I agree that the idea behind the limited saves is good, however together with certain player skill features it fucking sucks. At this point I just want unlimited saving potions.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I'd appreciate at least an exit save so when I need to stop playing, I don't have to lose progress or use a rare item.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Not really an excuse.

Didn't really get any bugs excepting some rare AI pathfinding issues and some transition problems with lightning or whatever.

Regarding performance, I get 30-60 FPS at 1920x1200 with everything on Ultra High but the vegetation details and shadows which are on Medium with a GTX 970, 6gb RAM and a SSD. The FPS drops for a moment when transitioning from first person view to 3rd person while chatting to people, but that's about it.

I agree that the idea behind the limited saves is good, however together with certain player skill features it fucking sucks. At this point I just want unlimited saving potions.
Lol, I wasn't saying this as an excuse at all. Just mentioned it, in line with other mentioned games that had rain through roofs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom