Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Sherry

Arcane
Hi!

gosh is that just not a bummer today with all of these new videos and interviews and articles the codes slipped my mind but it looks like I was wrong anyhow after BtF6nW w6Pd2u SHbEXB cCedpo 8twCgw I thought for sure the next six would have panned out as rLyRSV followed the next week by two numbers and four vowels to make a second line. :? So much for all those paper scribbles and attempted cryptanalysis but like wtf it has to be something like that right? right?

This is a tale about pirates and ships and sea monsters so there must be hidden treasure maps that use some sort of substitution cipher, to unlock the longtitude and latitude or some secret message to us and not some code for some other game so it just can't be that right? Obsidian giving away game codes for others games not their own? That is some sneaky business if it happens and I do not like it! :argh:

wtf make it fun for everyone at least and made it possible to track down something or tid bits of information maybe taking us to some hidden link on obsidian website and you click it and it goes to a new page with a n ew code but it is okay they are in pictures and magazines and sites are getting them but .. it just frustrating for fans who want to be paort of the excitement of the upcoming release but all we got is this.

BtF6nW w6Pd2u SHbEXB
cCedpo 8twCgw BMahh7
KFK5Lj RMaM4A XQrdGv

Be sure to drink your Ovaltine. :mad:

Thanks,
Sherry

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Now this is a story all about how,
My life got flipped turned upside down
Now I'd like to take a minute here by the wire
To tell you how Josh Sawyer has ruined Deadfire.

West California, born and raised.
MS Excel is how he spends most of his days.
Balancing, abstracting and sometimes subtracting.

When a couple of devs who were up to no good
Tried to make a game with a D&D mood
Josh went and balanced their every desire
And that's how Josh Sawyer has ruined Deadfire.
Sawyer is from Wisconsin, but the rest is sound.

Calling it now. Max 400K sold copies and there will never be a PoE 3 because of diminishing returns. Infinitron would subsequently hang himself because Sawyerism would have failed.
One can only hope.

imweasel

Definitely without the joke about Infinitron. He can be obnoxious sometimes, which is why I like to throw jabs at him once in a while, but we definitely wouldn't want the guy to hurt himself.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
It's like hoping for the next bioware title to flop. Sure, after 20 years of hoping, it finally happens, but it takes much much longer than just a few titles.

PoE2 will sell very well.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
We'll see if it won't happen like Numanuma, the only interested people being the ones who backed it. I doubt it, though, since Numanuma was just shit in general and I doubt Obs are that incompetent or that the game is so niche in the first place.

imweasel

It's like hoping for the next bioware title to flop. Sure, after 20 years of hoping, it finally happens, but it takes much much longer than just a few titles.
I am actually kind of worried that the game won't sell that well. I definitely won't be buying it because I despise Sawyerism with passion and Sawyer himself is just a really unlikeable hipster weirdo IMO (who probably goes on bike rides to steal children), but mediocre sales of PoE 2 probably wouldn't be a good thing for the comeback of CRPG industry.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Best Pillars 2 videos are in 50k views range. Best Pillars 1 are in 500k range.

Teasers and trailers aren't a good comparison because those are widely shared in games media. You want to look at the number of views on development update videos because it's mainly the real fans that watch those.

Check out dat Avellone Arcanum LP video with 100k+ views though, lol.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth

Teasers and trailers aren't a good comparison because those are widely shared in games media. You want to look at the number of views on development update videos because it's mainly the real fans that watch those.

Check out dat Avellone Arcanum LP video with 100k+ views though, lol.

It has more views because of Avellone, just like videos with thumbnails of women in bikinis inherently have more views.

:mca:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm certain his unfinished LP was why he had to leave Obsidian. I sent in over 5000 complaints from different email addresses.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Remember how I predicted that D:OS 2 would sell well? Look at the YouTube views:

https://www.youtube.com/user/ObsidianEnt/videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/LarianStudios/videos

It's not a perfect comparison, but numbers seem smaller overall.

is there a way to compare the page views from similar points in the development cycle? I am very anal retentive about perfect comparisons.

Remember how I predicted that D:OS 2 would sell well? Look at the YouTube views:

https://www.youtube.com/user/ObsidianEnt/videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/LarianStudios/videos

Seem to be around half as high as D:OS 2 was at this stage.

Why use D:OS2, different type of game, as a benchmark? Compare it to the first game.

:hmmm:

A game that's come out and won lots of awards is not a great comparison for one that's still being developed--by the time these eyeball figures become relevant we'll have actual sales data. Also, obviously the Pillars 1 videos have had a lot longer to rack up page views.

Deadfire is going to do well and make Obsidian a nice chunk of change; it will still be worth it for them to make another sequel even if it does substantially worse than the original. It's just that PoE3 will end up being a lot less ambitious in that scenario.

Lacrymas

Arcane
:mca: =
bikini-model-242x300.jpg

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Oh boy look at this:

This could just be because I am not a math player like most everyone here seems to be. But combat seems inordinately and unnecessarily complex. I know many here really look for the "balance" and some sort of realistic corollaries with things like recovery (which still baffles me to no end) and interrupts.

But even now I am not sure when my character's inaction is a bug or if it is a feature. I watched my paladin last night die as I tried to heal him from another character casting a spell, drink a potion, and even using Second Wind. Nothing took. If he was affected in some way to preclude any of these attempts I couldn't see it.

I am still unclear when my character is actually finished with an action and ready for a new "command". I have it set up to pause when action is complete, but the little marching ants marquee is still active around the last action I selected, so I am not sure when I can do something. I am a little tired of interrupting a previous action/command thinking it is done. If the whole shift-select-next-action thing works, I can't tell.

Even when all I need my ranger to do is keep shooting arrows, the little three dots pop up as if he is not doing anything. Then I feel like I need to pay unneeded attention to him.
(which still baffles me to no end) and interrupts.

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/96087-combat-too-complex/

Although I agree with him what's the point of wizards if it's better to just auto-attack with them, that part is correct.

Lacrymas

Arcane
And the buggy UI, it really is a nightmare to figure out if someone has completed the action you ordered or not.

Sannom

Augur
Nobody can figure out what they are! They may have gone too far with this ARG after how easily people solved the last one (the DEADFIRE letters in the countdown to the Fig campaign last year).
Yeah, Obsidian fans aren't Archer fans, what are they doing?

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I saw Josh Sawyer at a grocery store in Los Angeles yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?” I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying. The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter. When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom