Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition - Beamdog's final enhancement - now with new premium modules

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Apparently not to the alphabet soupies at cuckdog... nor the ones here, by the looks of it... :D

Honestly, I think ppl just dislike beamdog, and are trying to find things to complain about. I don't like them much either, but I find it hard to like the old boxy 90s/early 2000s 3D over the new model. It's not perfect ofc, but cmon, it's much better graphicwise.

The nice thing about the NWN community is that everything is open source.

So when people think a model isn't done well, they change it:

(Done by TheBarbarian within a few hours of the stream)
ariface.jpg

It's not even final, and I'm sure more people will do their versions of it too. Then you can pick and choose whichever one you want.
If any game was going to get an EE, it should be NWN / NWN2. No other game has offered a playground like this ever.

Cael

Arcane
So when people think a model isn't done well, they change it:

(Done by TheBarbarian within a few hours of the stream)
ariface.jpg

It's not even final, and I'm sure more people will do their versions of it too. Then you can pick and choose whichever one you want.
If any game was going to get an EE, it should be NWN / NWN2. No other game has offered a playground like this ever.
When an amateur does it better for free than a paid pro, FIRE THE PRO.

You will find that, beside the SJW virtue signalling screechings, that is the biggest gripe people have about cuckdog. They are supposed to be pros, but pump out finished products that are worse than an amateur's first draft.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
So not really following, did they confirm adding anything new at all?

TL;DR
Their update was mainly demonstrating the new normal mapping / dynamic lighting that was in the game previously.
Also showing off the capabilities of the engine to render higher polygon skin meshes and their shader capabilities. (In fact that's the best part about the Aribeth Model)

What It Means:
Adding GLSL support (OpenGL Shader Framework) is huge.
Although the game looks like ass right now, that's born out of a lack of content.

On the stream they committed to overhauling all the character models and adding vector based normals to all models. It's a pretty big deal.
NWN1 models will also all be converted to Skin Meshes. Also important if the game is ever gonna look like not-shit.

Whether Aribeth looks like a tranny or not, It's the first model that supports full skin meshing.
(This means in theory you could begin rendering NWN2 / Skyrim / whatever models in the NWN1 engine)

---

Every week NWN1 becomes more and more like NWN2. In fact in some cases it has surpassed NWN2 now. Trent mentioned that Skeleton rigs in NWN1 support 128 bones. They also support basic physics.

Also the fact that any developer can write custom shaders opens up a huge amount of possibilities. They are also open sourcing huge amounts of the engine.

If you noticed the config file they posted. You now can configure a wide variety of hardcoded DnD features and more are going to be added in the future I'm sure. (They already committed to adding Dodge / AC modifiers)

This means NWN1 could in the future be extended out to 3.5E / 5E or Pathfinder in theory.

Configuration
New configuration keys in nwnplayer.ini:
[Server Options]
AttackBonusLimit=20
DamageBonusLimit=100
SavingThrowBonusLimit=20
AbilityBonusLimit=12
AbilityPenaltyLimit=30
SkillBonusLimit=50

NWScript
BootPC(object oPC, string sReason = “”) now takes an optional string that is displayed to the client being kicked off.

New Script Commands:
// Gets the attack bonus limit.
// - The default value is 20.
int GetAttackBonusLimit();

// Gets the damage bonus limit.
// - The default value is 100.
int GetDamageBonusLimit();

// Gets the saving throw bonus limit.
// - The default value is 20.
int GetSavingThrowBonusLimit();

// Gets the ability bonus limit.
// - The default value is 12.
int GetAbilityBonusLimit();

// Gets the ability penalty limit.
// - The default value is 30.
int GetAbilityPenaltyLimit();

// Gets the skill bonus limit.
// - The default value is 50.
int GetSkillBonusLimit();

// Sets the attack bonus limit.
// - The minimum value is 0.
void SetAttackBonusLimit(int nNewLimit);

// Sets the damage bonus limit.
void SetDamageBonusLimit(int nNewLimit);

// Sets the saving throw bonus limit.
void SetSavingThrowBonusLimit(int nNewLimit);

// Sets the ability bonus limit.
void SetAbilityBonusLimit(int nNewLimit);

// Sets the ability penalty limit.
void SetAbilityPenaltyLimit(int nNewLimit);

// Sets the skill bonus limit.
void SetSkillBonusLimit(int nNewLimit);

-
--

Wow, I was not expecting such remodels. I just wanted some more polys on the older stuff to get it to HotU quality and make it more uniform... That looks horrendous. Is it the normal maps that additionaly make it look blurry and plastic? Judgind by how the old models are made of parts clipping into eachother it must look even worse while moving.

So far the only graphical change I actualy like is the ambient occlusion.

The normal mapping on the body is pretty good, Her collarbone and shoulder definition is good.
The face is over "normaled" added a sort of blocky look.

I think you are looking at it the wrong way though.

The fact that NWN1 now has Skin based meshes that can even utilize Normal / Specular mapping is a great thing. Beamdog has given the metaphorical keys to the kingdom for artists and modellers - I am sure we will have 20 Aribeths on the vault before the month is out.

Last edited:

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
Oh wow... I never thought I'd be saying this but I am excited for a Beamdog re-release.

NWN is always I nice comfy game to mess around on having an updated version of NWN would be really cool.

My only other things on my wishlist would be some more OP prestige classes and maybe a Beamdog campaign (lol). Party select would be cool too.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Did they confirm that full-party control is out of bounds? Or are they being silent and coy about it? Because all the graphical face lifts won't help if that doesn't happen.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Did they confirm that full-party control is out of bounds? Or are they being silent and coy about it? Because all the graphical face lifts won't help if that doesn't happen.

Trent continuously repeats ad-nauseum that he envisions you playing NWN1 as you would PnP. Controlling 1 character with 3 other real world heroes. :eyeroll:

So Ya - I wouldn't hold your breath.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's not impossible. On a server I played on we had a tool/script you could use to make companions/summons attack who you wanted, use skills, stealth, go to position X, etc.

That said, it doesn't seem like it's the point of NWN. I always thought it was meant to be a P&P simulator abstracting combat away - and it does that well enough, me and my friends still play on the same PW's, and have been for 12+ years.

d1nolore

Savant
They are not even going to try to implement FPC. It doesn't fit with their vision of NWN.

I think effort to implement FPC properly vs payoff its really not a good idea to go down that path anyway. Update the game and build on its strengths is first priority. Maybe if EE is a success they can do a full party control expansion with campaign to accompany it. But judging by what I've read on Beamdog I don't know if they are capable of such.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think that implementing FPC would require a high degree of familiarity with the codebase, so just from that perspective it makes sense for them to do other things first. As a programmer I would be very leery of just jumping in and trying to hack it in.

If I were Beamdog, my top priority right now would be upping the game's graphical quality. Like it or not, that's the most important thing they can do to sell copies (with multiplayer/modding quality-of-life type stuff in second place, probably). If the game doesn't sell well, none of the mechanical overhauls you want will be worthwhile.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Trent continuously repeats ad-nauseum that he envisions you playing NWN1 as you would PnP. Controlling 1 character with 3 other real world heroes. :eyeroll:

So Ya - I wouldn't hold your breath.
Thanks. So they are unable to get it to work, in other words.

When you say "They" You are including two NWNX developers who have been Reversing this game for several years without source code.
They could get it done.

It's more Trent doesn't want it done. He thinks NWN2 made a mistake going to full party controls. He says this several times, that NWN2 abandoned the idea of what NWN was by going to full party. He didn't even want companions in the original NWN1 campaign, they were only added because the game was too hard without a rogue / tank for some classes.

TL;DR
Trent is way too close to this project to look at it objectively. He's got some great ideas and some truly misguided ones.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I deserve a medal and a special title.

Yes, you do deserve a special title.

Infinitron, why can people circumvent the Dumbfuck! tag by creating alts? Roqua was dumbfucked once, it is time his hard-earned title was restored to him.
:negative: Not again,sharing a tag with truly dumb people hurts my feels. Last time was anvi trying to educate bunch of people in a Thief thread how Thief games are shit because they don't have water arrows and you have to hide. Why are all those idiots going around showing their intellectual inferiority,and then proudly stating that they are the smartest person that have blessed the codex with its existence,and how dumb everyone else is?

Exactly how active is the NWN module/MP community nowadays, and does anyone expect it to attract any more interest in 2018 due to a re-release with a minor graphical upgrade?

NWN1 OC is, of course, an awful game, made only bearable by the expansion campaigns. Unlike the IE engine stuff the game works fine out of the box and is not difficult to mod or any of the excuses given for the existence of the other EEs. So the only reason for the NWN EE to exist is if it somehow improves module/MP capabilities and increases interest in the game so that people are coming back to play with them and make new things. Yet I see the exact opposite happening as the community is split between two different games with inevitable compatibility issues. Beamdog is incapable of making an EE without adding bugs of their own to the base game, keeping the thousands of modules and hakpacks compatible has a snowball's chance in hell (not the frozen one in HoTU, that is).

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck

Infinitron, why can people circumvent the Dumbfuck! tag by creating alts? Roqua was dumbfucked once, it is time his hard-earned title was restored to him.

Thank you for recognizing my special status and my superiority to you.

:negative: Not again,sharing a tag with truly dumb people hurts my feels. Last time was anvi trying to educate bunch of people in a Thief thread how Thief games are shit because they don't have water arrows and you have to hide. Why are all those idiots going around showing their intellectual inferiority,and then proudly stating that they are the smartest person that have blessed the codex with its existence,and how dumb everyone else is?

Since they moved my challenge to you to a forum I don't have access to, tell me if you chickened out or not. And don't be a little bitch and say you didn't see it because you did, you fucking jive ass turkey.

And mods, how many times to I have to tell you fucking stupid bitches to not move my shit? Its bad enough none of you like rpgs, stop fucking the couple people here who do. And thank you for giving my title back, now just add the king to it so I can be restored to all my glory.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Exactly how active is the NWN module/MP community nowadays, and does anyone expect it to attract any more interest in 2018 due to a re-release with a minor graphical upgrade?

NWN1 OC is, of course, an awful game, made only bearable by the expansion campaigns. Unlike the IE engine stuff the game works fine out of the box and is not difficult to mod or any of the excuses given for the existence of the other EEs. So the only reason for the NWN EE to exist is if it somehow improves module/MP capabilities and increases interest in the game so that people are coming back to play with them and make new things. Yet I see the exact opposite happening as the community is split between two different games with inevitable compatibility issues. Beamdog is incapable of making an EE without adding bugs of their own to the base game, keeping the thousands of modules and hakpacks compatible has a snowball's chance in hell (not the frozen one in HoTU, that is).
Pretty active. Top servers are still well frequented and smaller more niche it's are doing slowet than six years back, but still well enough . Even if they just fixed a few older bugs and made overrides easier to use it would probably revitalize things.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Since they moved my challenge to you to a forum I don't have access to, tell me if you chickened out or not. And don't be a little bitch and say you didn't see it because you did, you fucking jive ass turkey.

And mods, how many times to I have to tell you fucking stupid bitches to not move my shit? Its bad enough none of you like rpgs, stop fucking the couple people here who do. And thank you for giving my title back, now just add the king to it so I can be restored to all my glory.
Hahaha i saw it and decided to ignore it. The battle of dumbfucks,will we measure strengths over our knowledge of Oblivion and Skyrim? Honestly you can have the title of the greatest dumbfuck in the universe,i have better things to do with my life than to go on a titie measuring contest whit you.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck

Hahaha i saw it and decided to ignore it. The battle of dumbfucks,will we measure strengths over our knowledge of Oblivion and Skyrim? Honestly you can have the title of the greatest dumbfuck in the universe,i have better things to do with my life than to go on a titie measuring contest whit you.

Like most shit talkers you're a fucking chicken. Just a loser barman who runs his fucking stupid mouth talking shit about his betters while living in a country that even refugees avoid. Why so scared of an IQ test? I really don't understand how your generation completely lacks any sort of guts. You are a loser, you'll never be anything but a loser, and you are too chicken to even defend yourself by sitting comfortably in your chair in your mommy's basement.

I win by your chicken refusal to even attempt to prove you are anything more than a full blown retard. In a site filled with adults of normal intelligence your blatherings would be enough proof, but since this site is filled with kids almost as stupid as you solid proof would be great to shove in all your retard faces. Being stupid and from a shithole nothing country is bad enough, but being a huge pussy on top of that? What do you have to live for? Living a frightened life of an idiot seems really awful and I feel really sorry for you. No one would blame you if you ended it. Being from Bulgaria is bad enough for people that aren't idiots or huge pussies - when all three are combined you just have no chance of ever being happy or doing anything useful with your life.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom