Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex Understanding the role of good storytelling as reward

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
This is an issue and a question that, I have felt, lurks at the back of many arguments that get construed on this forum; What is an appropriate outcome for C&C?

It seems to me that there is an inherent presumption hereabouts that the necessary response to a choice must be a "path" in the game. Also, that this path must be sufficiently distinct from a "path" that you take when you take an alternate choice. Take for example The Witcher 2, which based on a crucial choice offers two distinct paths to choose from which can qualify as the appropriate level of C&C based on the above description. Or take AoD for that matter, where you can make several decisions that radically affect what path you can take through the story which includes things as elaborate as
blowing up Madoraan
or
fighting an epic battle to either prevent the Ordu or to assist them trying to reach Madoraan

You can imagine that introducing these distinct "paths" in the game can be quite work intensive and can lead to substantial content reduction; an outcome hardly any of us can get behind.

While the above indeed are examples of what might be considered fully satisfying and well implemented C&C, there is another facet to the idea, which I think is mostly ignored and which can save the content creation at least partly if enacted well. And that is rewarding a choice by a gameplaywise inconsequential effect but which is emotionally satisfying through storytelling.

Apropos examples of the latter can be Saving Paul in Deus Ex or Killing Anna at the airport. While the story of the game remains almost exactly the same whether or not these decisions are made, you see an immediate and well-executed acknowledgement of your actions in the game, where it "rewards" you by affecting the game world at only a cosmetic level. Some of the puritans amongst you might immediately jump to the conclusion that this is not true C&C. Quite so! But it *is* a variety of C&C nonetheless.

I am wondering how many here consider this kind of thing as "good" C&C. If you do so, what other examples come to your mind when you think of such a C&C?

Last edited:

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
From the popamole era Alpha Protocol comes to mind, you have a few endings under your belt depending on the path you chose , you can play as a suave James Bond and make every faction love you or as a murderous assassin that kills everyone that he encounters, also you can join the evil organization at the end, what could you ask more from a game ? Oh yhea, good gameplay, which Alpha Protocol severely lacks.

But when it comes to choices that actually have an impact upon the story, Alpha Protocol is up there on the ladder and deserves a biscuit.

Jokzore

Arbiter
The only time I've felt like a choice had consequence was back in DS1 when I shot Gwynevere.

C&C system is something developers often advertise and players often discuss yet I can't think of a single instance where its been implemented properly.

Ignoring the fact that most game ''writers'' are talentless hacks who got rejected from every other medium and see video games merely as a stepping stone, is it even possible to have proper c&c system in a video game?

Firstly, most singplayer games are built as a single-playthrough experience, meaning the developers want you to see and do everything the game has to offer in a single playthrough. Developing any significant consequence would take too much development time/resources and shorten whats already a short and pretty shallow experience. (kudos to CDPR for taking a risk here with the Witcher 2)

Secondly, theres a reason most ''consequences'' play out in a post-game slideshow ending. Both devs and gamers dread the concept of a fail state, yet how can you claim your choice has consequence when you can never actually fail. Usually you aren't even given the illusion of failure as the game sets you on the right ( and only ) path regardless of what you do.

TLDR; Developers are pussies and theres no such thing as a good c&c system. Rewarding someone with a few extra bits and pieces of dialogue is not c&c and considering the quality of writing lately, its not even a reward.

p.s. This is probably what attracts people to stuff like EVE, too bad the game itself is junk.

p.p.s. I feel like Tyranny did some interesting things, sadly I hated the game so much i barely finished one playthrough. Maybe someone with more patience and a stronger stomach can comment on how much of the world changes depending on who you side with / how you play the conquest thing.

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Rewarding consequences should either be:

- Fantastic moments in the story, whether it be a quest or a main quest.
- Really cool loot. And I do mean REALLY cool, not just "a ibt better than what you already had". As one of many outcomes (or at least two), I have to feel rewarded for picking that particular path.
- New quests appear, even if others are closed off.

Basically anything that mades me feel like my choice went beyond the basic "congrats. Now, moving on..." or "what a shame. Now, moving on...". The Witcher 1 did choices & consequences really good for the most part. Mostly because it used delayed consequences, which made them feel more natural and less gimmicky, in spite of the "consequence cutscene" with Geralt explaining everything to you.

Take Fallout: New Vegas, Ghost Town Gunfight.

- If you help the Powder Gangers win, Goodsprings dies. But nothing new happens in the town.
- If you help Goodsprings win, the Powder Gangers die. But again, nothing new happens in town.

Only the ending cutscene changes. But nothing really happens in-game that makes you think "wow, that was a really great choice!". If a lot of quests opened up in Goodsprings (either instantly or, preferrably, eventually), then the quest would have had a much bigger impact. In the vanilla game, you can still join the Powder Gangers. Even if killing Joe Cobb and his gang made the NCRCF automatically hostile, it wouldn't feel like much of a worthwile consequence. There's no better reward than more content. A game where behaving a certain way does nothing but close 50 quests and open 10 new ones isn't my idea of "rewarding".

Master

Arbiter
Don't really understand what you're saying Vivec. Consequences should be emotionaly satisfying?

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
Don't really understand what you're saying Vivec. Consequences should be emotionaly satisfying?
Indeed, if they are cosmetic ones; i.e. they do not really change gameplay. An emotionally unsatisfying and an inconsequential consequence is a hollow consequence.

Master

Arbiter
Well, why not. I'm for it. Can't think of any examples right now.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
- If you help the Powder Gangers win, Goodsprings dies. But nothing new happens in the town.
- If you help Goodsprings win, the Powder Gangers die. But again, nothing new happens in town.

well... skyrim actually have that. If you tip balance then different families end up on top and armors on guards change

I Guess this is exactly the kind of contrast I am trying to eke out. Skyrim has hollow cosmetic consequence, vs. Deus Ex has a meaningful cosmetic consequence. In Skyrim the horse armour changes on horses based on which horse won the pony challenge. But the Horses are still neighing the same neigh and trotting the same trot.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
To your last question: Sometimes, yes. MotB does ending slides really well in that the slides actually go on to explain that the Hero is now really free because he is no longer driven by extraneous circumstance and can now freely control his destiny. That is a fantastic ending slide.

https://youtu.be/2DOpVVqiqek?t=205

This is how you do ending slides.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom