Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

frajaq

Erudite
anyone remember if there are crossbows in the game

Neanderthal

Arcane
Hey Smejki - something I can't believe has never been asked. The game's title - Kingdom Come! Deliverance! It's pretty biblical. Does the game have any religious themes/motifs or did you just think it sounds cool?
The game is not centered around religious themes but they certainly are an integral part of the overall atmosphere. The name was decided upon before I joined the company.
Personally I am not a fan of the Deliverance subtitle but when it comes to KC there are many facts in its favor.

- It goes pretty well in hand with the fact that at this age people were expecting the Judgement Day to come soon
- Kingdom Come is a well understood phrase
- Kingdom Come sounds good
- And after all there are many things related to Christianity which are typical for this era and which formed the society and events presented in the game
Paradoxically the game is made by atheists (not aware of a single religiuous person on the team) in the most atheist country in the world :D

FTFY.

Beowulf

Arcane
Further comparing with the Witcher 3, I see there is no feature for the NPCs to make remarks as you pass them by. This was eventually getting repetitive, but in retrospect, it was adding to the feeling of a town being inhabited by people as opposed to white walkers. Or maybe just the player in this stream hasn't accumulated enough reputation to provoke reactions? Even so, they could have been dropping lines about the weather, the harvest, the Cumans, etc.

I didn't watch that much, as I don't want to spoil the game for myself, but do the NPC's acknowledge that the player is a physical entity and act accordingly, or just mindlessly bump into him, like in W3?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Lol, no preordering. I think I'll wait for this to ripen up a bit - patches, performance optimization. 6-9 months maybe.

BTW, every time someone rates me "Acknowledge this user's agenda" I always wonder what kind of agenda did he see. :D

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Further comparing with the Witcher 3, I see there is no feature for the NPCs to make remarks as you pass them by. This was eventually getting repetitive, but in retrospect, it was adding to the feeling of a town being inhabited by people as opposed to white walkers. Or maybe just the player in this stream hasn't accumulated enough reputation to provoke reactions? Even so, they could have been dropping lines about the weather, the harvest, the Cumans, etc.

I didn't watch that much, as I don't want to spoil the game for myself, but do the NPC's acknowledge that the player is a physical entity and act accordingly, or just mindlessly bump into him, like in W3?
Great question, because that was one of the things that annoyed me greatly in Witcher 3. Nope, no bumping thankfully. But I saw a moment when the player entered a room while an NPC was preforming its animation for closing the door to that room. The player was able to walk through the NPC with a little pushing. 3D Collision has to be resolved somehow, I don't mind stuff like that. You can only break it if you want to break it.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Here is a question - how accurately is the game's economy modelled around the real-world medieval economy? What simplifications or changes had to be made in order to accommodate balance and gameplay?

In the gameplay video I'm watching, the player has accumulated quite a bit of money, probably from thieving and killing bandits. Regardless, he is at an early point in the main quest line where he is expected to be equipped with much lower-grade gear than what he is carrying and has already equipped.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
What kind of armors are in the game? I want some italian clothing (possibly florentine), I don't want to go around dressed like a poor barbarian peasant.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
What kind of armors are in the game? I want some italian clothing (possibly florentine), I don't want to go around dressed like a poor barbarian peasant.

It's a pretty in-depth system, I'd imagine there's plenty of variety given how the NPCs react differently to you based on what you wear (and what condition your gear's in):

https://kingdomcomedeliverance.gamepedia.com/Armour

Ah, it's layered like in Exanima? Fantastic idea, I wish more developers will do a system like that.

Sentinel

Arcane
3. we don't even know if these console fags have the day1 patch or not
Version is displayed in the menu:
1.0 = certified version (from mid-December)
1.1 = day 1 patch
1.2 = next patch (in the works, being finalised)
Well, this isn't looking very good then. From the very long loading screen to start a simple dialogue out in the woods, to the NPCs first appearing standing and then snapping to a seating position when revealed, the insane amount of pop in...
CryEngine might have been a mistake.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Fuck Witcher, Fallout 1 and 2 had this way back. TW3 is a copycat.

AwesomeButton

Patron
What's more interesting to me - what is the chance that if I try to sleep in the street, I'll wake up from the kicks of the town guard? Or if I try to sleep in the woods - from the sound of my throat being slit? Those are also ways for the player to partake in the game economy, right? And to prevent him from amassing great amounts of resources.

Fuck Witcher, Fallout 1 and 2 had this way back. TW3 is a copycat.
But Fallout didn't have women practically bumping into you and then screaming like if you've pinched their butt. Such a bad game, practically forcing you to commit misogynous acts.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Lol, no preordering. I think I'll wait for this to ripen up a bit - patches, performance optimization. 6-9 months maybe.

BTW, every time someone rates me "Acknowledge this user's agenda" I always wonder what kind of agenda did he see. :D
Probably the wait and see agenda.. the smart people one.

Geckabor

Savant
Some of the concerns people are having are confusing... Are we really talking about graphics on a console version?

Anyway, I'm cautiously optimistic and going to play it on day 1, since I have holidays now and am basically hoping for this to be another ELEX, which also didn't need as many patches as people were saying.

That being said, hearing about the linear start of around 10 hours is a tad disappointing for replays, especially if patches do improve the game massively in the upcoming months.

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
Here is a question - how accurately is the game's economy modelled around the real-world medieval economy? What simplifications or changes had to be made in order to accommodate balance and gameplay?
There's no point in replicating real-world economy in games, be it historical or contemporary.
Game-player operates in a completely different possibility space and different set of incentives.
We certainly tried to emphasize how expensive some items were relative to others. Namely armor, weapons, horses (+ equipment), fancy clothing etc. It came in pretty handy that these items are also most desired in the space of the game.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I have questions about gameplay, if anyone is interested.

Oops :)

Ok, so how do the limitations on weight look like, in rough terms? I remember seeing somewhere that you can't walk around with more than one set of armor in your inventory.

Sentinel

Arcane
Some of the concerns people are having are confusing... Are we really talking about graphics on a console version?

Anyway, I'm cautiously optimistic and going to play it on day 1, since I have holidays now and am basically hoping for this to be another ELEX, which also didn't need as many patches as people were saying.

That being said, hearing about the linear start of around 10 hours is a tad disappointing for replays, especially if patches do improve the game massively in the upcoming months.
It's not really about graphics but other shit that takes you out of the experience, like loading screens everytime you talk to someone, guards opening combat with the same dialogue line everytime, and from what I saw there's nothing in the game to prevent backpedal kiting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom