Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline What killed off oldschool RPGs?

• Thread starter Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal
  • Start date

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The Cuckdex did. Funding dogshit Fargo games.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
The Cuckdex did. Funding dogshit Fargo games.

I know, right! The horror the codex felt when they loaded up WL2 DC and realized as a collective unit that they all hate real rpgs before retreating to play the newest Final Fantasy and Pokeman together in their safe space. Safe away from all those dogshit crpgs. Filthy, awful crpgs. How dare a developer make one! Boo to him. It didn't even have any Anime cut scenes for crying out loud!

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Let's face it, there are no devs left who can make a high quality RPG anymore

Indeed.

indeed.jpg

Current gen-wise, the genre is utterly worthless.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Did you just take a screencap of your blog instead of copying and pasting the text? You're my kind of weird, Lil.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Several reasons:
a) Popularity of tabletop RPG's declined, meaning there's less of a reason to cater to the taste of the demographic that developed a taste for simulating their mechanics. Also new people in the industry are less likely to be familiar with them.
b) Console players becoming more important demographic in relation to PC players.
c) 90's tech bubble made it possible for money to flow to uncanny projects such as Fallout.
d) Game development becoming less of a scene and more of a business. And in business environment the money tends to go projects that imitate something that made money a short while ago, which is everything but CRPG's.
tabletop RPGs are for fucking nerds
You say that like it's a bad thing.

Also, you're a fag.

Several reasons:
a) Popularity of tabletop RPG's declined, meaning there's less of a reason to cater to the taste of the demographic that developed a taste for simulating their mechanics. Also new people in the industry are less likely to be familiar with them.
[...]
This does not explain the continued decline of CRPG:s in the face of increased popularity of TTRPG:s that we've seen in at least the last decade, nevermind the decline in the quality of TTRPG:s themselves, across the entire board. In fact, the inverse appears to be true; lower quality, dumbing down, and appeals to the lowest common denominator results in increased public appeal.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The only ones who cater for us blobberers these days are the Japanese. Too bad the anime makes the games unplayable to me.

Fortunately blobbers are only one of the genres I like. But the more CRPGs and video games in general become interactive movies, the more I crave a good old fashioned abstract blobber...

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Yeah, you blobber fans get spoiled. It's the turn-based D&D fans that are neglected.

And no, Knights of the Chalice is not on par with ToEE/Temple+.

templeplus.jpg

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The only ones who cater for us blobberers these days are the Japanese.

Fargo's going to lose a bunch of money soon just to cater to you folks.

There was also that Starcrawlers thing released not too long ago.

Cross

Arcane
Fargo's going to lose a bunch of money soon just to cater to you folks.
If BT4 manages to release befores InXile goes out of business, I doubt it'll amount to anything more than baby's first blobber.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Man even blobbers have it easy.

As for the guys who like it Goldbox or Realms of Arkania style- fpp with overhead for combat, we got what?
Goldbox, RoA, Krondor. RoA HD don't count. What else?

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Realms Beyond will fix that.

It's hard to be optimistic in this day and age. I always thought ToEE would usher in a new Goldbox era, but it wasn't to be. I remember the original forums for ToEE: filled with gamers with D&D 3.x tabletop background.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Good grief. Talk about the elephant in the room.

Grimoire-Heralds-of-the-Winged-Exemplar-Free-Download.jpg

Heh, I had forgotten about that.
But as long as it's Steam only, it's automatically at the near bottom of my play list.

Man even blobbers have it easy.

As for the guys who like it Goldbox or Realms of Arkania style- fpp with overhead for combat, we got what?
Goldbox, RoA, Krondor. RoA HD don't count. What else?

At least you get lots of user made Gold Box style games with FRUA.
Too bad there was never an editor for ToEE.
For blobbers there was the Bard's Tale Construction set, but it was too weak and too late.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Too bad there was never an editor for ToEE.
Word. I loved a lot of what ToEE tried to do, but the fact that the main campaign was shit really put a damper on it. If it had been moddable and come with an editor of some kind, I think things would've been very different.

Ash

Arcane
Most posts in this thread hold true to varying degrees: it's a variety of factors why RPGs (and games in general) declined, and all the major factors can mainly be boiled down to one thing: money.

Decline-enablers such as graphics whores and storyfags don't help either though.

Last edited:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I thought this was a thread for Goldbox, Wizardry and Might & Magic games

This.

If you think you isometric people have it bad, think about how us turn- and party based blobbers fans have it :negative:

Not that we'll get much sympathy here but even blobber fans have it better than fans of real time first person rpgs with 1 character. We get a bethesda offering every 3-4 years... and Dungeon Master clones. a fate worse than death

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

Well, Lords of Xulima was Realms of Arkania in reverse, if that counts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom