Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Another Silent Storm Appreciation Topic

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
just this game is amazing and i got it for the prize of a pringles in sale like 2 years ago.

for the last 2 weeks, i've playing trough axis campaign and holy balls this game is amazing. the depth, the engine, destruction, etc.

it is almost perfect if not some of the UI clunk. i hope End State can live up to this game. i am playing in hard and early it was damn brutal for me because the soldiers simply suck balls but nothing you cannot solve with some patience and wit (and a bit of metagaming >_>) but i really love the engine.

i love how the ballistics are perfectly simulated, how guns can accidentally fired off if a guy gets hit, how it reacts to material and can bounce or pierce trough object depending on the gun's type, caliber and the target's material.

i love that my dude with machine gun can mow trough wooden walls and obliterate enemies from outside a room, or throw a grenade trough a window and kaboom the enemies inside.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Did you install the watchdog mod so your dudes will actually gain XP? Patched version has a bug that essentially keeps your crew from leveling.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Did you install the watchdog mod so your dudes will actually gain XP? Patched version has a bug that essentially keeps your crew from leveling.
i dont have any mods except the 1080p mod.

Will try it in latter playtrough tho

You don’t need to start a new game to use it and it doesn’t break saves, fyi. It’s just a modified line of script.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
just this game is amazing and i got it for the prize of a pringles in sale like 2 years ago.

for the last 2 weeks, i've playing trough axis campaign and holy balls this game is amazing. the depth, the engine, destruction, etc.

it is almost perfect if not some of the UI clunk. i hope End State can live up to this game. i am playing in hard and early it was damn brutal for me because the soldiers simply suck balls but nothing you cannot solve with some patience and wit (and a bit of metagaming >_>) but i really love the engine.

i love how the ballistics are perfectly simulated, how guns can accidentally fired off if a guy gets hit, how it reacts to material and can bounce or pierce trough object depending on the gun's type, caliber and the target's material.

i love that my dude with machine gun can mow trough wooden walls and obliterate enemies from outside a room, or throw a grenade trough a window and kaboom the enemies inside.
Just you wait until you get that French 7.5 mm LMG. THEN you'd have fun.

What squad are you using?

When I played it I did more restricted ironman where when main character went down game ended, and I din't spend any skill points before first mission. (Which was hellish on hard.) I think hard difficulty isn't actually the correct one, some things on hard difficulty are retarded.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron

Just you wait until you get that French 7.5 mm LMG. THEN you'd have fun.

What squad are you using?

When I played it I did more restricted ironman where when main character went down game ended, and I din't spend any skill points before first mission. (Which was hellish on hard.) I think hard difficulty isn't actually the correct one, some things on hard difficulty are retarded.
i have 1 of each class in my squad. Some are usefuk, especially soldier and sniper, seconded by a good grenadier and scout.

They always carry a rifle for long range, an smg for close quarter burst, and a pistol eith exception of my soldier who carries a pistol and a machine gun.

With tools, everyone carry a bandage or 2 and homeostasic powder, medic carry medical stuff, engineer carry mines, lockpics anx minr probe and my grenadier basically carry a mini artillery

Modron

Arcane
Sniper is easy mode comrade.
Stealth is ez mode you mean. Scout can just silenced burst shot/throwing stars/katana everything to death.

The most fun I had with SS was actually playing the demo where they threw you into a city mission with tons of guys to fight with non-op characters. I was facing lots of Germans on my left and right so I split into two groups to combat them. One side was getting a lot more action so I just left the engineer behind to mop up the stragglers. Turns out it was just a lull in the action and soon ze Germans were pouring out of everywhere and the only cover was a skinny street lamp.

I probably should have had the engineer run but I thought he could survive long enough for my mg to hoof it over to him. Cue engineer going all sergeant york one shot one kill despite the hailstorm of bullets flying his way you could see and hear a ton of those bullets bouncing of the skinny street lamp. Finally got my mg to a building across the street from engineer only to have him hear a ton of the Germans running down the alley about to flank the engineer. So I did the sensible thing and shot a few dead with bursts which also blew out parts of the wall. Soon the Germans were crawling and climbing through the various holes like a scene out of aliens all the while the mg was lighting them up.

The game really needed more areas that just threw a lot of enemies at you without having them stealth around; basically only the base defense mission did this and it was the best mission in the game.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
that's why it feel kinda lacking. of course shotguns. are they common as a part of soldier's arsenal in WW2?

anyway i remember this nu xcom meme:

ur2jpqbzhff01.jpg

and this kind of shit never happened in silent storm because of the ballistics simulation. crazy how a game made by some ruskies in dank basement are just far superior in attention to detail compared to semi AAA dev with big publisher backing with real office and coffee machine

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
i have 1 of each class in my squad. Some are usefuk, especially soldier and sniper, seconded by a good grenadier and scout.
Actually we need names, because every one has different backgrounds and they should be used differently. Don't remember if each of them has different levels of potential for skills, or if it's only starting values.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Actually we need names, because every one has different backgrounds and they should be used differently. Don't remember if each of them has different levels of potential for skills, or if it's only starting values.
EAch squaddie has different stats, but I mostly pick them up for the banter.
My first crew had Gator, Zinaida, L.A., Yves and Nessie. Worked pretty well.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
i dont remember their full name, but i remember their nick and class
mike= soldier
Zail= scout
Holly= engineer
Dani= medic
The PC= sniper nicknamed "gold"

zool

Arcane
Silent Storm was a very cool game but they did go a little bit overboard with the destructible environments - I mean, LMG bursts destroying brick walls was a bit too much.

Would love to see a mod that changes environmental objects durability to slightly more realistic levels (doesn't need to be fully realistic, just not brick walls that feel as solid as wood planks)

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The LMG destroying brick walls was amazing. Best thing about Silent Storm was the how the completely apeshit level of environmental destruction allowed you to think outside the box tactically in so many missions. So many ways to do things differently just by applying MG42 or grenades to the environment (tho one UI gripe I have is that it's sometimes kind of hard to shoot up a wall with an LMG due to the fact you can't control spread at all or the finnicky way the game interprets terrain targeting). Important detail was that the game also didn't penalize you for wanton destruction most of the time (physics bugs leaving objectives floating in the air aside), incentivizing creative demolition further. I didn't even really use Reggie towards combat, like maybe at most a quarter of his grenades were actually aimed at enemies, his main purpose was to act as a remote battering ram. But there is one particular mission where this is REALLY notable because the penalty is mission failure but that's not the only bad part about it, which brings us to...

The environmental destruction could have downsides, THAT Swiss factory mission could take fucking forever because of maybe 10+ minute Neutral turns when the AI pathfinding desperately tries to think what the peons should do (also you are well and truly fucked if any of the peons starts bleeding). It didn't help that THAT Swiss factory also had some really bizarre load-bearing properties which tended to cause entire walls collapsing at once from one hole.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
The LMG destroying brick walls was amazing. Best thing about Silent Storm was the how the completely apeshit level of environmental destruction allowed you to think outside the box tactically in so many missions. So many ways to do things differently just by applying MG42 or grenades to the environment (tho one UI gripe I have is that it's sometimes kind of hard to shoot up a wall with an LMG due to the fact you can't control spread at all or the finnicky way the game interprets terrain targeting). Important detail was that the game also didn't penalize you for wanton destruction most of the time (physics bugs leaving objectives floating in the air aside), incentivizing creative demolition further. I didn't even really use Reggie towards combat, like maybe at most a quarter of his grenades were actually aimed at enemies, his main purpose was to act as a remote battering ram. But there is one particular mission where this is REALLY notable because the penalty is mission failure but that's not the only bad part about it, which brings us to...

The environmental destruction could have downsides, THAT Swiss factory mission could take fucking forever because of maybe 10+ minute Neutral turns when the AI pathfinding desperately tries to think what the peons should do (also you are well and truly fucked if any of the peons starts bleeding). It didn't help that THAT Swiss factory also had some really bizarre load-bearing properties which tended to cause entire walls collapsing at once from one hole.
one thing happened to me that i broke the floor on the door to the objective room and the AI cannot find path into it, so i just blew a bigger hole so my guys can climb from it into the room.

where this house where there is an exploding barrel in the basement and i accidentally shot it and blew it up to smithereens.

there is also one time where reggie hid behind a tree and stupidly ordered him to lob grenade at an enemy over, but the grenade bounced, and exploded in my crew's face. shit is hilarious

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
I used fritz initially, but he got KIA and i was too lazy to reload. It was p early tho. Like 3rd mission or so

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom