Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Quillon

Arcane
Where have I ever said that I think they'll bring back dead characters?

The easier thing with the save import will be NPC deaths, like all companions can be dead in a PoE1 save along with most NPCs(I haven't tried this in PoE but heard that we can't kill Lady Webb?) and in PoE2 its likely that we'll be able to kill anyone as the moment we see them as in PoE1 so it shouldn't be hard to implement that possibly persisting NPCs won't persist in PoE2 if they died in PoE1. In any other game this would've been a lot harder to implement.

As I understand there was no such save import that imports choices from BG1 to 2 other than character's stats.

Its still not clear we'll continue as the watcher tho, I'd like to but most people don't like The Watcher[2: Assassins of Gods] for some reason.

Because the Watcher is a foreign element in their own story and has no agency? And companions miraculously coming alive is in BG2's tradition, sooo.

Because the Watcher is a foreign element in their own story and has no agency?

Story wasn't good and there weren't really "branching" choices but its hardly watcher's fault. Watcher is just a blank-slate character with a "thing", changing it to some other character won't do anything better magically. They can improve watcher abilities in combat and in dialogue more and not treat it as an affliction this time around, that could be a start.

And companions miraculously coming alive is in BG2's tradition, sooo.

They won't in this one: https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/814584461316624384

:kingcomrade:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It proves that Skaen isn't mentioned anywhere, which is what I said. Josh also says "you can make vows to FOUR gods", but that's not true, as the fifth vow is Skaen. Which naturally makes me think it's too hard and too world-altering to include Skaen's ending, so they'll sweep it under the rug. I'd love to be proven wrong on this, trust me.

Quillon, ok, I wouldn't say that means I've said I'm sure they'll bring the companions back, just skepticism, but whatever. And that says what? That Skaen's ending will definitely be in the game?

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Maybe they're only taking in consideration if the player betrayed a god or not then. As long as we know, they might disregard any consequence of the final choice altogether. These seemed to be all about the Dyrwood after all, although its been some time since I've played through the end. Did Sawyer say anything about the final choice's consequences or just the gods' vows ?
In such a case, yeah, Skaen would be ignored. His proposal is not really a vow to begin with, you're already in Sun in Shadows, he doesn't actually give you anything you need (or I forgot ?). Then there's little sense in checking him and Woedica.
Would explain why he talked about only 4 vows.

EDIT I'll stand my claim that Woedica is still linked to the premise of poe2. A god of retribution who saw her champion slained by the PC ? That's a casus belli in my book. In this situation, you can bamboozle the player with the old trick of "same event, different motives". Keep the same plot, same main story but swap a line here and there to acknowledge the player's choice. Petty illusion but, hey, you gotta do something.

Last edited:

Sizzle

Arcane
In such a case, yeah, Skaen would be ignored. His proposal is not really a vow to begin with, you're already in Sun in Shadows, he doesn't actually give you anything you need (or I forgot ?). Then there's little sense in checking him and Woedica.

This did not occur to me, smart thinking.

Quillon

Arcane
And that says what? That Skaen's ending will definitely be in the game?

No, it just speaks to your character that you assume the worst for even sure things for some reason.

But its deffo gonna be in the game. Wanna bet?

Quillon

Arcane
And that means I'm an awful person? Or what? I don't get what you are trying to say. Sure, I said that it's in BG2's tradition to bring back dead character so they might do it, too, but that isn't the case. Great.

I shouldn't have to say 40 times

Lacrymas' "assume the worst" attitude is getting old.

so you can understand what I'm saying.

But I mean just look at this ffs...

I thought it was 2, too. Weird. Now they are going to limit the list of priest deities arbitrarily, with one of them being Eothas.

Why would I call you an awful person? There is not nuff evidence for that :P

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
The best way to settle these haunting doubts is to directly ask mister sawyer himself. Infinitron ? :)

Although I frankly doubt that it'd be any harder to take Skaen's wrath into consideration if the other gods' anger pose no problem. Unless Woedica is directly concerned by the plot of course :smug:

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
The four gods in Josh's tweet are the same four who gave you quests to win their favor and then a stat boost if you picked their way of dealing with the souls, so it likely has to do with that.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
It proves that Skaen isn't mentioned anywhere, which is what I said. Josh also says "you can make vows to FOUR gods", but that's not true, as the fifth vow is Skaen. Which naturally makes me think it's too hard and too world-altering to include Skaen's ending, so they'll sweep it under the rug. I'd love to be proven wrong on this, trust me.

Quillon, ok, I wouldn't say that means I've said I'm sure they'll bring the companions back, just skepticism, but whatever. And that says what? That Skaen's ending will definitely be in the game?
I have the same concern, but I do not think Skaen's scheme will become immediately relevant in PoE2. The way I understood the Skaen ending is that we feign loyalty to Woedica for some far flung scheme in a future installment (PoE3).

Parabalus

Arcane
His proposal is not really a vow to begin with, you're already in Sun in Shadows, he doesn't actually give you anything you need (or I forgot ?). Then there's little sense in checking him and Woedica.

He does give you a formal talent - since it was said they would be translated to PoE2, in one way or another, ignoring it entirely seems unlikely.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Do we know of any other form of interaction with the playground besides barrels ? As I haven't played through the beta that much and know that D:OS2 success has been duely taken into consideration for POE2's design, I suspect there should be more than explosions. Do we know anything about this ?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

derharlekin asked:

I have a question regarding the PoE Pen & Paper RPG. Will there be many rules books? Currently, I run a campaign in another PnP and have the problem that information on a subject across several books are distributed. A conspiracy is, for example, generally explained in Rule 1, a twist to this in Rulebook 3, an adventure in Rulebook 6 and so on. Did you think about this problem when writing the PoE PnP?

So we have two topics: 1) the "Starter Guide" (~ thirty pages) 2) a theoretical book with other rules, adventures, etc.

I only wrote forty pages for the Starter Guide. Thirty or forty pages are not enough for a complete system. This book will only have the basic rules.

But , I want to write a bigger book with the full rules (and stories of countries, adventures, etc) - maybe three hundred or four hundred pages.

I think that it is problematic if the rules are spread over many books. You can compare (eg) 3E D & D and 4E. Monks in the third handbook? For real? Insane.

I hope I can write a very great PoE TTRPG book. If the Starter Guide is popular, it is possible.

Lacrymas

Arcane
How does the PnP system work when PoE's combat system has been thought up as RTwP from the very beginning anyway?

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Perhaps I would be asking a stupid question, but can anybody answer to me: it will be possible to port character from first game to second and would your decision in first game matter? I mean at beginning of post there was information that you cannot port characters and decisions does not matter, but now after reading last pages I have seen information that you can port your character from first PoE and your previous decisions would affect second game (or at least your companions). Now I confused. Not to mention that I should now to decide between: replay first game in case if decisions matter (since my saves was lost) or create new character with more modern character creation.

2house2fly

Magister
Your save from the first game can be imported into the second, and you can also simulate a save like in Witcher 3. When people say "your decisions don't matter" they mean they don't expect that your decisions from the previous game will make any difference to the plot

Sentinel

Arcane
I noticed one of the companions on Anthony's stream is dual wielding a pistol + what looks like a dagger. Can you wield a staff on one hand and a sword on the other? I wanna go full Gandalf

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pistols aren't two-handed anymore, that's why he can dual-wield a pistol and sword. Staves are still two-handed. Interestingly enough, I know of only one game which treats staves as one-handed and you can go full Gandalf - Spellforce.

Sentinel

Arcane
Pistols aren't two-handed anymore, that's why he can dual-wield a pistol and sword. Staves are still two-handed. Interestingly enough, I know of only one game which treats staves as one-handed and you can go full Gandalf - Spellforce.
:negative:

God dammit. Anthony Davis please ask Josh to include a Wizard talent that allows them to use staves on 1 hand or something.

Last edited:

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire

Didn't skyrim allow it too? I remember it did but that was about 7 years ago.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom