Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

tindrli

Arcane
i took it with my LG K8 :troll:

sser

Arcane
Developer
Playing a lot of Mario XCOM on the Switch. Not yet brave enough to play it/have it stolen in public, though.

Stalker: SOC. I've mostly replayed Pripyat all these intervening years, but the first game was really something special.

It's depressing to think that a game from 11 years ago is so very far ahead of everything being released right now, in every respect - atmosphere, gameplay, even graphics. What a shame.

Why can't we have games that look like this and don't treat the player like a bumbling mongoloid anymore:

ss_manoel_02-08-18_03xjs8o.jpg

ss_manoel_02-08-18_0357s9f.jpg

ss_manoel_02-08-18_03xhsmh.jpg

I'm replaying the game unmodded. Gun sounds are a bit weak but it's a minor issue. It's not only as amazing now as when it was released - it's in fact much better in retrospect given how bad the state of games is now. If anyone is replaying this, make sure to grab the latest OpenAL from here: http://kcat.strangesoft.net/openal.html, and move the 32 bit soft_oal.dll into the /bin Stalker folder, then rename it to OpenAL32.dll - this will restore the game's excellent surround sound support. People who play Thief should be familiar with this procedure.

iZerw

Arcane
Vatnik
And now consider this: Stalker is a pale shadow of the game the developers promised. People from ex-USSR knows what I'm talking about.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I saw the Flash Gordon movie earlier today, and am in the mood for something similar.
Didn't quite get what I wanted, but Deadly Tower of Monsters is alright.

Mind pick up the Buck Rogers games though, see if they're anything similar.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Inspired by the release and subsequent devouring of the CRPG Book I suffered an overdose of nostalgia and I'm now replaying Might and Magic Book One: The Secret of the Inner Sanctum.
Thanks to the save states version of DOSBox bugging out first time I played it, I didn't quite complete it. But this time I'm using the "pure" DOSBox, and thanks to Fowyr I'm using the MM2 pregens.
My party actually survived its first trip out from the safety on the Inn, even falling down a trap door to the dungeon below. It's amazing how much more tense and nerve wracking a game gets when you can't save any time.

Last edited:

Freddie

Savant
I saw the Flash Gordon movie earlier today, and am in the mood for something similar.
Didn't quite get what I wanted, but Deadly Tower of Monsters is alright.

Mind pick up the Buck Rogers games though, see if they're anything similar.
I think those probably are your best options.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Been playing Lords of Waterdeep. Had an epic 293 point game with Trobriand, put up photos in the screenshot thread.

Lieutenant + Suzail + Bloody Hand engine + round 8 Defending the Yawning Portal.

low017.png

low023.png

low024.png

Last edited:

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
Currently working my way through Hollow Knight. Haven't got much left to complete at this point. A few bosses, 4 grubs, the fool's trial, 2 mask shards, 1 more skill. It'd probably easier if this controller wasn't a cheap piece of shit, but it's been pretty good fun. The atmosphere in some of the extremes of the map to either side (and below) is great.

Also playing some Perfect Dark after finding out you can actually playing it properly (mostly) with mouse + keyboard, though it does obviously make it much easier, so I'm playing on secret agent for now until I dig up the memories of these old level layouts, then it shouldn't be too hard to complete it on the hardest difficulty. Well, except for the odd bug; a few of the guys in the first level had seemingly infinite ammo and near-perfect reflexes, which required some serious peeking.

Deflowerer

Arcane
And now consider this: Stalker is a pale shadow of the game the developers promised. People from ex-USSR knows what I'm talking about.

I remember browsing some forums in 2001 or 2002 and seeing some of the early screenshots. People were also hyped as fuck about all the features it promised.

Krivol

Magister
I decided to try out Final Fantasy 9 and it's really good so far. I didn't like FF7 -the only FF game I've finished (I never cared much about it's puny world, so I found saving it from <you-know-what> quite boring, aslo Cloud... cold-blooded mercenary turns out to be an emo girl, what a disgrace!) - but I like story, characters and places in FF9 (well, most of them, I don't really buy Beatrice redemption and city of Cleira was a bit gay-ish), and boss fights can be pain-in-the -ass (mostly because of stealing).

Steam version has quite useful "speed everything up" cheat that makes grind and finding chocographs a breeze and some kind of auto-save. It has also few more cheats that are rather shameful to use (like "deal 9999 dmg with everyone" or "no random encounters" or "level-up now to 99 lvl") but I just avoid them like a plague.

HansDampf

Arcane
Schattenlauf: Drachenuntergang

I never played a Shadowrun game before, but I've read this was the best of the new campaigns. At first I was put off by the lack of control over my team, and some other UI inconveniences, but the game grew on me quickly.
Since the difficulty settings won't tell me what they actually change, I looked it up before I started. Basically, every setting below Very Hard manipulates hit-chances in your favor and against the AI's. That didn't sound fair to me, so I saw myself forced to play this on Very Hard. No manual saves, as usual. Mage archetype. The first few missions were quite challenging, I even needed a few BuMoNA kits. But once I got used to the system, understood how flanking works, and realized that my other runners regenerate their items after each mission (what a bonus!), everything went pretty smoothly. Had to reload once due to a missclick. :argh:
I enjoyed the dragon conspiracy plot, and the ending was satisfying as well. It's just a shame it's put on hold for the majority of the game while you are doing side quests. All you get is another DVD crumb to watch/read every now and then. The missions are at least varied, usually with some interesting twists, unique encounters, and also lots of skillchecks in conversations. Though I'm not sure if it was a good idea to show those options even when you lack the necessary skill. Sure, I understand, the game likes to brag. Look at all my skillchecks! But some of them contain info that could spoil parts of the conversation.
I'm putting this game back on my list for a replay, with a different char, and see which choices actually matter.

+ TB combat with less bs than XCOM
+ ... sometimes in matrix and meat-space simultaneously
+ dragons and shit
+ character portraits
- scheiss inventory management

Von meinem PDA gesendet

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Hello everyone.

Here's a list of games I've started playing recently, and which I'm intending to finish one day:

Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei (SNES) - ~30 hours in
Shin Megami Tensei (SNES) - ~5 hrs
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne (PS2) * - ~10 hrs
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (DS) - ~1,5 hrs
Wizardry (SNES) - ~10 hrs
Wizardry V (SNES) - ~20 hrs
Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together (PSP) * - ~4 hrs
Dragon Quest VIII (PS2) * - ~5 hrs
NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer (PC) - ~3 hrs.

Those marked by * have been actively played last two weeks.

The games I've never played before and am planning to pick up include: Gothic 1-2, Temple of Elemental Evil, Deus Ex, GRIMOIRE, KOTOR 1-2, Geneforge, Dark Souls, Romancing Saga 2, Final Fantasy 5 or 6, Chrono Trigger, Xenogears

The games I played sometime ago but not finished/played thoroughly and want to continue/replay at some point: Cogmind, NWN, Caves of Qud, Dragon's Dogma, TES 3: Morrowind, ADOM, Arcanum, Drakensang: The River of Time, Fallout 1-2, Demon's Souls, Arx Fatalis, Wizardry 8

You know it's hard to keep these games being checked off the list when you got like 2 hours of free time a day you can spend playing games, and those are only rpgs, old rpgs (mostly). Hopefully I will get around playing new stuff from 2013-2017 before I'm in my 50s.

Last edited:

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Been playing Lords of Waterdeep. Had an epic 293 point game with Trobriand, put up photos in the screenshot thread.

Lieutenant + Suzail + Bloody Hand engine + round 8 Defending the Yawning Portal.

low017.png

low023.png

low024.png

I played the board game for the first time IRL last week and really enjoyed it. Good to know there's a digital version.

primalsplit

Literate
I am playing Slay the Spire. It really gives you the thrill of building your character (deck) over each run. Every run is unique in it's own way too.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Finished San Andreas just recently. Think I'll do Vice City next, but I also want to finish Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. Been playing some Midair pubs, don't particularly enjoy it due to everyone playing LCTF which I hate. I intend to play Ultima 7 some time.

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Played through Pillars of Eternity again. 'You've played 622 hours.' Christ. Did everything, so I can have a savegame to import into the sequel.

Now, don't know. Got a massive backlog I really should be putting a dent into.

Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition, don't think I ever finished the 'Enhanced Edition.' Would like to, before I eventually buy the sequel.
Expeditions: Viking, probably a good game!
The Banner Saga 2, played and liked the first one! Kickstarted the third one.
Torment: Tides of Numenara, GOTTA be an OK game, come on!

One of these probably. Hopefully!

Just bought D:OS 2.

Last edited:

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS JUST FINISHED PRIPYAT

BOY THAT ENDING WAS SUDFEN

OVERALL LIKED CHERYOBL BETTER BECAUSE IT SEEMEE LIKE TH RE WAS MORE GOING ON AND MORE HUMAN ENEMIES

THOYGH I DID LIKE THE GUN UPGRADES SUIT REPAIR AND ARTIFACT HUNNTING

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I did it guys, I got the shinies:

B380CF121424CC4B00FD131BE8E55982C3264B06

Then I started the next fight with 8 energy, got up to 22 strength, and died with the boss 3/4 dead because I drew too many dazes. Fucking card games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom