Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

Walden

Savant
linux_on_nintendo_switch_fail0verflow-1024x748.jpg

Walden

Savant
Opens the door to emulating Switch games, right? (although an emulator has to be made first)
With yuzu they're testing homebrew sw, haven't started yet to work on graphic libraries, but games can be processed in theory(obviously they don't work).

spekkio

https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/7vpnim/psa_misuse_of_retroarch_by_volocian_studios/

drama queens and pirate drama queens (saying pirating stuff from the Internet Archive from a china chip emulation box they sell with retroarch is 'completely legal' ) in the link above

I fail to see how the Retroarch people are being drama queens here. I think it's fair of them to want to protect their project (and of associated people who port emulator cores into libretro) by denouncing and publicly distancing themselves from a shady product that bundles open source software together with a rom downloader from an archival repository.

Even though I've heard reasonable arguments against Retroarch's structure from other points of view and I certainly don't think the developers are saints, in this matter I'm squarely on their side.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Eh, it's true that they're in the right, i just thought it comical that there is a large string of responses from Retroarch devs to a moronic troll, instead of a simple 'this guy is trash and we don't have anything to do with him' at the top level. Talk about feeding the troll. He had to be banned for them to stop engaging.

It's obvious he wants to make some false equivalence of 'i donated, therefore they work for me and i can lie if i get taken to court it was all their idea' and the best way around that bull is just to place a disclaimer, ditch his donation and stop responding to trolls that might get you summoned to court for pure bullshit otherwise.

Last edited:

tet666

Augur
Yep still only 15-16 fps anywhere not in a Dungeon unfortunately, i know some ppl are not bothered by it but this makes it unplayable for me.

Arthandas

Liturgist
I wonder what comes sooner: at least rock solid 30fps with near perfect emulation or a pc version :)

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
More playable than me playing persona 3 and 4 at 1GHz in pcsx2. Quit bitching.

Playing the Saturn version of Policenauts - it's pretty cool. It's more or less a traditional point and click adventure game interspersed with shitty shooting bits (which you could use the lightgun for, I guess that would make it slightly less shitty).

There's a lot of text, the atmosphere is great and the translation is quite decent. The Saturn version has an in-game searchable wiki of sorts which wasn't present in the PSX one (as far as I can remember). Video quality is pretty bad (very compressed) but that's ok. Classy game, I've never finished it - I did finish Snatcher many years ago, which is kind of similar, but I think Policenauts is denser/bigger.

Japs were more monocled back then.

policenautsjapandisc16ks3i.png

policenautsjapandisc1f2s8t.png

policenautsjapandisc1tysht.png

policenautsjapandisc1wbsv0.png

Walden

Savant

# New in 1.11.4b:

coreinit: Fixed codegen API (OSGetCodegenVirtAddrRange) to be compatible with new RPL loader

rpl: Added support for reloc types 0xFB (REL16 high) and 0xFD (REL16 low)

misc: Minor tweaks in nfp.GetNfpState
misc: Added API nn_acp.ACPIsOverAgeEx, coreinit.MEMCalcHeapSizeForUnitHeap, avm.AVMIsHDCPAvailable, avm.AVMIsHDCPOn

# New in 1.11.4:

general: Cemu will now load shareddata system fonts from mlc01/sys/title/0005001b/10042400/content/ if available
general: Slightly reduced overall memory usage

rpl: Rewrote RPL loader from scratch for better accuracy
New memory base for modules is 0x02000000

coreinit: Fixed implementation of MCP_FullDeviceList to include disconnected devices

input: Fixed GamePad rumble not working for XInput

nn_nim: Partially implemented NIM API and added IOSU nim module

nn_boss: Fixed memory corruption during BOSS file download

nn_fp: Added API GetMyPrincipalId, GetMyAccountId, GetMyScreenName, GetMyMii, CheckSettingStatusAsync, UpdatePreferenceAsync, InitializeAdmin, IsInitializedAdmin
nn_fp: Added IOSU FPD module

drmapp: Added API NupChkIsFinished()

GX2: Added -nolegacy command line parameter to disable all Intel GPU workarounds
GX2: Updated bilinear and bicubic filter to avoid issues on Intel GPUs
GX2: Fixed rare infinite loop caused by drawcalls that referenced the same texture data more than once with incompatible formats
GX2: Added support for 2D_ARRAY textures in GetTextureResInfo shader instruction
GX2: Fixed _GX2AllocFromDefaultHeap incorrectly using MEMAllocFromDefaultHeap instead of MEMAllocFromDefaultHeapEx

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I kind of wanted to play Demon Souls on the PS3 emulator after seeing a youtube title about it with the heading saying something like, "Demons Soul's at 60 FPS on PS3 Emulator!" What that bait-clicking fucktard didn't tell you was that the video was shot in 60 FPS, and it's not the frame rate you get with Demon's Souls using emulation. There is no hope for tube humanity. They are the shell-dwellers (THX 1138) of the internet.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Believing something you read on the internet is your own damn fault. Shills are everywhere where there is money to be made, and where they aren't, there are trolls lying to you because of lols or acquired psychosis (see this forum for example).

Walden

Savant
https://www.libretro.com/index.php/retroarch-1-7-1-released/

-Wii U port improved
-original xbox cores are back
-switch port incoming
-a new Direct3D 11/12 driver that has features such as overlay support, menu shader effects and being able to draw the menu itself
-some cores that support subsystems can have their subsystem started directly from the RetroArch UI rather than through the command line
-Web Player works again
etc...

thinking.png

Pretty insignificant update for Windows users.

Anyway, I've recently been playing Metroid: Zero Mission. It's a pretty cool remake of the first Metroid game, it's much easier because they give you hints on where to go next, but it's still satisfying as there's no real handholding. Graphics and music are great. I've always had a bit of trouble getting GBA games to look right (I usually prefer a look that's faithful to the actual system and the GBA screen is pretty shitty). There's also the issue of colours - as the original console's screen was so shitty and not backlit, a lot of games used a oversaturated palette to compensate. This needs to be corrected on a decent screen, or reproduction will look very off with garish colours that feel very out of place. This is especially true of earlier games.

This Metroid doesn't suffer too much from it, so I've switched from a custom shader with a color corrected palette and a LCD grid to no shader at all, playing in a small window. I've gotten used to it and I think it's better this way.

Some screens:

(using the color correction/lcd grid shader)
metroid-zeromissionu-p9jpa.png

(without the shader)

metroid-zeromissionu-gskm8.png

metroid-zeromissionu-o3jid.png

Definitely recommend this game. It's considerably better than the other GBA Metroid, Metroid Fusion.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom