Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Far Cry 5 - set in the exotic open world of MONTANA

Ash

Arcane
Like I said, a) wasn't a great example, and b) most things across the board were more challenging to variable degrees. there's NO regen health. You lose ALL your weapons upon death/arrest. Missions in general were much harder, especially late game. Nowhere near as much was marked on your minimap (which makes exploration more enjoyable as well as potentially making things difficult for retards). And so on..

The gameplay was just a great deal better, in more ways than just challenge too, even with that auto aim garbage.
...Though I played much of SA with the manual aim system even though it was clunky and out of the way, people just forget about it.

sullynathan

Arcane
Like I said, a) wasn't a great example, and b) most things across the board were more challenging to variable degrees. there's NO regen health. You lose ALL your weapons upon death/arrest. Missions in general were much harder, especially late game. Nowhere near as much was marked on your minimap (which makes exploration more enjoyable as well as potentially making things difficult for retards). And so on..

The gameplay was just a great deal better, in more ways than just challenge too, even with that auto aim garbage.
...Though I played much of SA with the manual aim system even though it was clunky and out of the way, people just forget about it.
you have partial regen in GTA V. GTA 4 has no regen.
Losing weapons and losing ammo, not much of a difference.
Missions we're "harder" because combat was ridiculously worse and there was no autosave or quicksave.

illuknisaa

Cipher
Last year I played Assasin's Creed Black Flag and what I saw was even more decline than skipping missions.

After completing missions the game would present me with a mission complete screen and the ability rate the mission with 1-5 stars. Honestly how little faith the devs have on their own work if they need to ask me whether I liked it or not? Shouldn't every mission be a 5/5 mission?

DeepOcean

Arcane
And last good Asscreed was... oh.
You are missing the point, I don't care exactly which series is more or less decline, it is the absolute shit status some people give to a certain decline and treat the other exactly the same decline as amazing and wonderful GOTY material (Cogh... cough... Witcher 3... cough ... cough). If I shit talk Ass Creed type of games on this site, some people will just find it okay but if I shit talk GTA 5 for the exact same problems, lo and behold, their super KKK codexian credit personality goes flying through the window and they defend this shit like they were some average poster at RockPaperShotgun.

Don't complain when Larian add the I WIN! button Hamburger Helpler talked so much about to D:OS 3 because it makes easier to follow the story.

DeepOcean

Arcane
The only reason most people still play it is because of the storyfagness and the LOL "parody" of the US, the gameplay jump the shark a long ago.

I play GTAs because it's the only sandbox series that I can have fun in without doing any missions or challenges at all. Meaning I can actually have a good time just taking a sports car/bike around the map, jumping around the hills and whatnot while admiring level of detail put into their maps that is yet unchallenged by other sandbox games. Yeah it's sure as shit not monocled gameplay but I can't deny I actually have a good time with it and GTA is the only series that does it for me. Of course I agree that gameplay got a lot easier since IV and I really hated that they allowed you to have multiple weapons in one slot in V. It's way too much and works terribly with multiple characters, when you are forced to switch between them and they change up selected weapons in slots when bots take control of them. The addition of superpowers was also not where I ever wanted series to go even if I had fun doing some amazing car stunts with Franklin's driving slow mo power. And don't even get me started with all the "unread" messages on the phone. Fuck you, videogame. On the other hand, driving is way more fun to me since GTA IV and that's not a small thing.
Pity this is the only thing fun left at GTA series since GTA 4.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
GTA 4 was a ton of fun. I loved it far more than GTA V, the story was more serious and dark but the attention to detail in the map, car physics and ragdoll effects from Euphoria Physics are insanely good.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Recent GTAs for me are like expensive Hollywood movies. Low quality "intellectually" but great production value which leads up to "stupid" entertainment

GTA 4 was a ton of fun. I loved it far more than GTA V, the story was more serious and dark but the attention to detail in the map, car physics and ragdoll effects from Euphoria Physics are insanely good.

It made for great multiplayer material. Spent hundreds of hours on Team Mafia Work mode back then. It provided me with some of of the most memorable crazy mp moments I ever had. GTA IV physics were undeniably the most fun in series.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Nigga back in our days there was more to GTA gameplay than just popamole combat and sandbox freeroaming. As shit an example as this is, you ain't experienced challenge in GTA until you've had to get all gold medals at the Driving and Pilot Schools in SA. :argh:

Most things across the board was more challenging in the old, anyhow. to an acceptable standard. Modern GTA lets you skip missions for goodness sake.
People calling GTA San Andreas 'old school' and 'back in the day' just shows how young and naive most of Codex is...

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
The first PC game I played was "lode runner" on one of those green screen macs when I was in college.

The next PC game I ever played was Zork 1, also on the green screen mac.

I might have the order played reversed...I'm old.

Zep--

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
My favorite computer "Arcade" game back in the day was ..I think it was called "Space Wars"...the little ship fighting the gravity well in the center while trying to blow shit up.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I watched the story trailer and even the highly choreographed combats scenes lacked punch and fun.

Ash

Arcane
Nigga back in our days there was more to GTA gameplay than just popamole combat and sandbox freeroaming. As shit an example as this is, you ain't experienced challenge in GTA until you've had to get all gold medals at the Driving and Pilot Schools in SA. :argh:

Most things across the board was more challenging in the old, anyhow. to an acceptable standard. Modern GTA lets you skip missions for goodness sake.
People calling GTA San Andreas 'old school' and 'back in the day' just shows how young and naive most of Codex is...

I've been playing GTA since the original, faggot, and gaming years before that. San Andreas was 2004, so back when the industry was at least somewhat healthy regarding quality content, though showing early signs of decline. Nonetheless it was pre-Xbox360, that era being when things truly went to shit, and to me everything before that era is old school generally speaking, and everything after is of the modern era (and therefore highly likely to be declined) where the industry truly became too big for its boots. It's appropriate and convenient to lump everything into those two categories: pre-xbox360 and its mega hits like Bioshock, Oblivion, Gears of War, Assassins Creed, Call of Duty. Pre-widespread aggressive nickel and diming tactics. Pre cinematic gameplay in excess. ...and then everything after that.

Seriously, 2004 is still well within the boundaries of "old school". Deus Ex, Baldurs Gate 2, Morrowind, VTM:B, Arx Fatalis and plenty more are all of the early 2000s. Don't be a shitlord.

Last edited:

Vexxt

Educated
IMO FC2 was the best - save for the respawning outposts\checkpoints.

Since then they have just been dumb fun, and I guess they can be somewhat enjoyable if you treat them as such. My biggest thing is the HUD -

I REALLY need a dev to explain to me with a straight face why we must see enemies through walls, on the mini map, and have an indicator showing you when an enemy is about to spot you. I know their reasoning behind it, I just want to see if they can come up with a good reason other than "most casuals are trash at games and play FPs with a controller" -

If its possible to turn ALL of that crap off, then maybe you have something fun to fuck around in.

Vexxt

Educated
^ Well, that's just like, your opinion man.

Why don't you explain your position rather than dropping a 25 character knowledge bomb.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
FC2 was the last (only?) one that took itself seriously. Still probably one of the least non linear because console tech but as the only game in the series that created any sort of atmosphere it's good for what it is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom