Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Arulan

Cipher
It's probably not worth thinking about it until we get closer to release, considering balance changes are likely, but I wonder if a Blunderbuss-wielding Cipher is still a good option. Aside from taking a look at character creation and user-interfaces changes, I've stayed away from the backer beta this time.

The new variety of skills is certainly a welcome change. Is party (skill) assist someone that will always occur?

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I'm not sure why people give a shit about save importing when the first game lacked any meaningful reactivity to begin with. There's no point being excited about imports when there's nothing interesting to import in a first place.

Sentinel

Arcane
Companion deaths/sacrifices/endings and which God you chose to side with seem to me pretty important decisions worth carrying over.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I thought they said when transferring saves that certain choices would remain, like what you did with the Orlan Baby or companions... As to how much this will actually affect things outside of throwaway lines of dialogue are yet to be known.. I also recall them saying that any passive abilities you got would also carry over to some extent.

2house2fly

Magister
Companion deaths/sacrifices/endings and which God you chose to side with seem to me pretty important decisions worth carrying over.

All of it except companions deaths is just going to amount to a single line of flavor text as per usual.
it's really not worth expecting much in the way of reactivity, I agree. There is a bunch of stuff that could be interesting, mainly in the White March, but part of the point of going to a whole new area is that you're in a part of the world that hasn't been shaped by your actions.

That said, if I run into an Abydon worshipper and I get to tell them I found out about the secret history of their god and then destroyed his army of constructs which vowed revenge with their dying breath, that would be a lot of fun

ShadowSpectre

Arbiter
I wouldn't mind some choices having impact, although if it's just a bunch of flavour text for the sake of saying "choices matter" then I'd rather just have a better game.

Fredward

Scholar
Josh is still the best looking game dev tbh.

Also, allow me to read too much into his choice of wallpaper. Those are both paintings by Millais who, along with Hunt and Rossetti were the founders of the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood (pre-Raphael cuz they felt like art had lost some of it's artistic flair/license/creativity and become too formulaic since then so they had both nostalgic and reactive intentions), at their inception the four tenets were:
  1. to have genuine ideas to express;
  2. to study Nature attentively, so as to know how to express them;
  3. to sympathise with what is direct and serious and heartfelt in previous art, to the exclusion of what is conventional and self-parading and learned by rote; and
  4. most indispensable of all, to produce thoroughly good pictures and statues.
The meticulousness/anality especially bordered on the obscene, check out the background foliage on Ophelia for instance.

1800s gossip:

Their personal lives were more or less the cliche of an artist's personal life. They had muses and one of those was the woman who posed for Ophelia, Elizabeth Siddal. She was 19 at the time and to get the portrait Millais had her lie in a bathtub, this would be for hours naturally and to keep the water from being getting cold he had lamps lit under it. He got so involved with the painting that they went out, so she sat for hours, fully dressed in a cold bathtub which, thinking about it, probably resulted in that authentic look of empty-eyed despair Ophelia's got going on. She got pretty sick as a result.

She went on to marry Rossetti, but theirs was not a happy marriage. Rossetti was a bit/a lot of a womanizer and she overdosed on laudanum at 32. When she was buried he had written her a book of poems and tucked it in her billowy copper hair, romantic right? Except a few years later when he was addicted to drugs and booze and short on cash he had her exhumed to take the book of poems back so that he could sell it.

One of the woman he cheated with (or at the very least had a "deep emotional relationship" with) was Jane Morris, if you ever google pre-Raphaelite art hers is the face you'll see (and Fanny Cornforth, they share a look):

Jane_Morris_%281865%29_Detail.jpg

janemorirs.jpg

Probably THE muse of the PRB. Jane was married to William Morris, who you can blame for the awful species of pattern that you could probably find in your grandmother's house:

daisy-design-william-morris.jpg

be6590f66df2627581d2625f3da98caf--design-files-textile-design.jpg

If you could disassociate the pall of mass production from them they're pretty impressive. Morris was initially closely associated with the PRB but he went mainstream, with the best of intentions, wanting to democratize good taste and etc, the result being the complete ubiquity of his work swinging all the way round again to "bleh." There's probably a lesson there.

Sizzle

Arcane

I'm guessing most of these will have fairly minor, fluff consequences (the only thing I'm not sure about is how they are going to do the "Woedica wins!" ending, that's the only one - except Abydon in TWM - where the choice affects the entire world, not just the Dyrwood) brought up from time to time.

What I'm most curious about is how they will handle companion endings - a Kind Wayfarer Pallegina should be completely different than if she stayed with her original order. And Aloth should have two dramatically different personalities depending if we steered him towards control or independence (I know they mentioned that, depending on his epilogue, he would have different starting gear and his soundset will change when he takes too much damage, but I'm hoping that's not all there is to it).

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I think they'll sweep the Woedica ending under the rug. Every time they've mentioned the consequences of your choices, Skaen is never there.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Is it an obsession? I only mention him when it's appropriate. A Skaen Priest (as a concept and as a character build) is also one of the very few unique things PoE has, it's not like a Cleric of Mask for example, it's its own thing. This religious reverence of quiet contempt and clandestine scheming against something you hate (mostly authority figures in this case) is interesting to me and I'd like to see it explored more. That's why I'm bitter they are sweeping the most interesting ending under the rug.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Are they really sweeping it under a rug? I mean does the beta even have save file transfer function displaying us the possibilities? It would be extremely unexpected for me if any of the major god choices at the wheel after killing Thaos would not be there, as well as the promises. Especially because the plot hook of the second game revolves around a resurrected God.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Every time they've shown anything related to the ending, Skaen isn't there, so I assume they'll ignore that one. It's not once or twice, it's every time they've mentioned the endings or their consequences.

Sizzle

Arcane
Are they really sweeping it under a rug?

The Woedica one would be the hardest one to do properly, so they'll almost certainly think up some way to trivialize it.

I mean does the beta even have save file transfer function displaying us the possibilities? It would be extremely unexpected for me if any of the major god choices at the wheel after killing Thaos would not be there, as well as the promises. Especially because the plot hook of the second game revolves around a resurrected God.

They've confirmed there will be consequences for the god choices (though not to what extent), and that some gods will be pissed off at you for not choosing them no matter which ending you got.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Shut up, Quillon, you have no idea what you are talking about. Nobody has proven me wrong about this because it's impossible as of now. I can present the evidence where Skaen doesn't feature in the talks about consequences, but you can't prove to me that it's going to be in the game.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Is it an obsession? I only mention him when it's appropriate. A Skaen Priest (as a concept and as a character build) is also one of the very few unique things PoE has, it's not like a Cleric of Mask for example, it's its own thing. This religious reverence of quiet contempt and clandestine scheming against something you hate (mostly authority figures in this case) is interesting to me and I'd like to see it explored more. That's why I'm bitter they are sweeping the most interesting ending under the rug.
It is a god of the weak and spineless,cleansed the place of that filth. If i have to chose a god from PoE, i will go with the Wael or Woedica .

Last edited:

Quillon

Arcane
Shut up, Quillon, you have no idea what you are talking about. Nobody has proven me wrong about this because it's impossible as of now. I can present the evidence where Skaen doesn't feature in the talks about consequences, but you can't prove to me that it's going to be in the game.

They don't have to tell us everything that's gonna be in the game. You were even expecting that dead characters were gonna magically resurrected etc. You've got proven wrong many times on save import front.

Ofc they are not gonna import huge branches from the start of the game cos of PoE1 decisions but saying that they are gonna ignore one of the biggest choices is delusional, I don't even think you believe that they would ignore it. Anyway, wanna bet?

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Where have I ever said that I think they'll bring back dead characters?

About the consequences, case in point - here

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Josh is still the best looking game dev tbh.

[/spoiler]

This is funny because a couple of days ago my wife, who had no idea who Josh was and had never seen him before, passed by while I was watching the PCGamesN interview and commented on how handsome he was.

A couple of hours later, she passed by while I was playing the Deadfire beta and commented on how pretty the town was. When I pointed out the coincidence between her comments she burst out laughing.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Where have I ever said that I think they'll bring back dead characters?

About the consequences, case in point - here

But we have no idea what this check refers to. It could simply be so for an introductory slide which specifically focuses on Teir Evron. In such a case, the only check they need is this : did the player pledge to this god ? And this one ? And this one ? etc. As long as we know, there could be another check, again with only these 4 fucks, which would be there for a slide about respect/treason of the vow. And then another simpler check : Did the player say yes or no to Skaen. Then again, a final check : what did the player actually do once in front of the machine.
That really doesn't prove anything.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom