Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Beamdog working on a new D&D CRPG (cancelled)

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
The documentary that revealed the "Planescape: Unraveled" concept art was shot at March or April last year. I'd assume it was being developed at that time, and was the Gaider's project.

At last August, their concept artist uploaded a concept art that could be one from Unraveled. She most likely got a permission to upload them from her boss, and I guess her boss gave the permission because the project was canceled at that point. The reason for cancellation, is anyone's guess. Maybe they failed to gather the budget per Infinitron's assumption.
They said it was one of multiple pitches, no? Perhaps it didn't even get past those concepts, and then Gaider wasn't as interested in whatever got signed.

Well, the concept pieces looked more developed and specific than a "pitch" to me. Then again, who knows.

Sentinel

Arcane
so, which is gonna be the next Gaider headline:
"BioWare announces the returned of a beloved developer - David Gaider!"
or
"Obsidian announces the recruitment of a beloved developer - David Gaider!"

Bethesda pleeeeeeeeeease...

"inXile Entertainment announces the recruitment of a beloved developer - David Gaider!"
This would be good. Means InXile is a containment company for the worst writers in the industry. Shame Ziets is trapped there.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Wait... that Gaider's new Twitter profile...:

Writer and narrative designer, formerly of BioWare (Dragon Age, KotOR, NWN, BG2). I like Belgian beer, bittersweet endings, and schadenfreude.

:philosoraptor:

UtPch6x.jpg

"We have beers!"

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, sure, Gaider can improve Larian's writing a lot. Not sarcasm. There's literally nowhere to go from the bottom but up. He has far more experience in writing for games, but given Larian's track record of hiring cheap young people, I don't see them willing to hire him.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Looks like PCGamer got a comment from Trent Oster, the departure "has been in the works for awhile": https://www.pcgamer.com/david-gaider-has-left-beamdog/

Beamdog co-founder Trent Oster said Gaider's departure has been in the works for awhile, so the impact on current projects will be minimal. "Dave was a valued member of our team and has done a lot of great work for us over the last two years," Oster said. "While we're sad to see Dave go, we are anxious to step up and show how we have grown as a studio and as a team."

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Damn, I have to wonder what the hell happened with that. How the hell do you just get recruited into a company and your release was already in the works. :lol:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Inb4 Beamdog falls apart because they literally can't function or create something themselves if they don't leech off of other, much better, games.
Inb4 they get their hands on bloodlines.
I know it may sound kind of like heresy, but the only team that could make the new Bloodlines in my mind is the team at Ubisoft that made Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon. But it's just a dream, just a dream...

Unwanted

Musaab

Unwanted
I told Trent about how David blocked me and how David could only bring Beamdog down with his tendency towards homosexuality. My letters finally bore fruit.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Looks like PCGamer got a comment from Trent Oster, the departure "has been in the works for awhile": https://www.pcgamer.com/david-gaider-has-left-beamdog/

Beamdog co-founder Trent Oster said Gaider's departure has been in the works for awhile, so the impact on current projects will be minimal. "Dave was a valued member of our team and has done a lot of great work for us over the last two years," Oster said. "While we're sad to see Dave go, we are anxious to step up and show how we have grown as a studio and as a team."

Wasn't he only there for not that long? What'd they do, decide it wasn't working within the first month he joined? Did SoD really tank their prospects for an original game that badly?

Last edited:
Unwanted

Musaab

Unwanted

Wasn't he only there for not that long? What'd they do, decide it wasn't working within the first month he joined? Did SoD really tank their prospects for an original game that badly?

He probably proposed an idea for a game where all these male elves have orgies or something and Trent didn't want his first ACTUAL game at Beamdog to go down in flames because of it. So far they have just been enhancing known classics...but what happens when they actually try to make something from scratch?

They got rid of that Amber Scott who shoved the tranny stuff into Siege of Dragonspear, which was a positive. Then they hired David Gayder, which brought me great worry. Well, they got rid of him now, so that's good.

There is that Liam gay guy, but I'm not sure he shoves his homo-ness into games as much as the others, so we'll see how this all shakes out.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

It could even tank their prospects of existing. SoD did piss off even their small fan base. Most people are on the fence even for buying EE let alone a new game from them. It will not be a surprise if they go bankrupt in a few years.

imweasel

Beamdawg is still developing their super secret D&D high-fantasy social justice warrior game. Only Gaider got sacked. He had a team and they were apparently developing ideas and pitching them to publishers, but none of it came to fruition.

EDIT:

Infinitron

Last edited by a moderator:

Trashos

Arcane
He probably proposed an idea for a game where all these male elves have orgies or something and Trent didn't want his first ACTUAL game at Beamdog to go down in flames because of it. So far they have just been enhancing known classics...but what happens when they actually try to make something from scratch?

They got rid of that Amber Scott who shoved the tranny stuff into Siege of Dragonspear, which was a positive. Then they hired David Gayder, which brought me great worry. Well, they got rid of him now, so that's good.

There is that Liam gay guy, but I'm not sure he shoves his homo-ness into games as much as the others, so we'll see how this all shakes out.

I could be wrong, but I think your overestimating Oster. He sounded like an idiot every time he tried to defend his company when the tranny issue came up. The handling of it only became competent when Gaider showed up to speak.

Also, the problem with Scott (as I perceived it) was not the tranny, but the interview she gave provoking everyone. "Deal with it" etc. Arrogance is not a good companion to idiocy.

Terra

Cipher
Yeah, her attitude of "hey, I'm gonna ram as much soc jus type pandering into this game, who cares if its an interquel to a beloved classic series from an age where the games weren't rammed full of this shit" was pretty damning and left a dark cloud over things from the get go - nobody wants to see such blatant agenda pushing before the game is even released. Though I have to say I was disappointed when Gaider's first act after leaving Bio was to wade straight into another socjus/tranny debate as soon as he turned up at beamdog. I'd really hoped that he wanted out of that culture/atmosphere that permeates bioware so he could get back to focusing on the games... Not that it matters I suppose.

A shame really, I quite enjoyed Dragonspear overall, if they'd been able to keep their virtue signalling out of PR and actually focus on appealing to the fans of the old games, maybe it could have been different. Although I always suspected that Dragonspear would be hamstrung sales-wise in the same manner that Shadownrun Dragonfall was before they released the standalone version.

Terra

Cipher
I'm still amazed that they thought that would be a good look when trying to push their expansion to the oldschool crpg crowd. I remember seeing the thread about all this debacle on neogaf, as expected, the usual sjw suspects were all over it, citing how great the inclusion was and how terrible it was that the writer was called out on this shit. Course none of the sjw types actually went on to buy the game and support the company though... Funny, that.

Cael

Arcane
These days, if you DON'T include something into the game, you are considered racist by the SJWs. Just look at Subnautica. Just because the hero is a male, they went psycho.

Pandering to these sort of people is so dumb as to defy description. Do these morons believe that they would stop if you included a woman? Next they would want blacks. Then homosexuals. Then transgenders. Then- Eventually, you won't even have a game any more, just an hours long soliquay about "equality" SJW-style.

Protip to game developers out there: Make a GAME, not a STATEMENT!

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'd really hoped that he wanted out of that culture/atmosphere that permeates bioware so he could get back to focusing on the games...

Perhaps that's why he left BeamDog? To be able to make a game without having to wade through the SJW bullshit (and without having to deal with the reactions)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom