Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Beamdog working on a new D&D CRPG (cancelled)

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Rofl.

Xeon

Augur
So what happens to the game they were working on.

Will probably end up shitty now even if it was going to be good at some point since that's what ends up happening a lot of time when the person in charge changes.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
My immediate assumption would be that they failed to gather the budget needed to make a game worthy of Gaider and have been forced to pursue other projects.

You'd think the original plan was that Siege of Dragonspear would fund that project. Still he did stay on for two more years after it bombed...

Sizzle

Arcane
Well, at least he got the chance to work (again) on NWN1, bringing us wonderful enhancements such as:

NWNComparisonAllFilters.png

:D

Last edited by a moderator:

Terra

Cipher
Back to the sinking ship?
Utterly bizarre whatever the case, figured he actually wanted to work on BG-esque rpgs but here we are...

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

imweasel

It kind of sounds like a project got canceled... Or maybe Gaider was caught fondling the interns.

:dgaider:

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
so, which is gonna be the next Gaider headline:
"BioWare announces the returned of a beloved developer - David Gaider!"
or
"Obsidian announces the recruitment of a beloved developer - David Gaider!"

Sizzle

Arcane
Maybe we'll get a "Bendis leaves Marvel to work for DC"-type situation, and he'll get hired by Obsidian :lol:

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Well, at least he got the chance to work (again) on NWN1, bringing us wonderful enhancements such as:

NWNComparisonAllFilters.png

:D

It's like reading one of those poorly translated oriental picture books where you're quite not sure which way you are supposed to read it.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Inb4 Beamdog falls apart because they literally can't function or create something themselves if they don't leech off of other, much better, games.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
The documentary that revealed the "Planescape: Unraveled" concept art was shot at March or April last year. I'd assume it was being developed at that time, and was the Gaider's project.

At last August, their concept artist uploaded a concept art that could be one from Unraveled. She most likely got a permission to upload them from her boss, and I guess her boss gave the permission because the project was canceled at that point. The reason for cancellation, is anyone's guess. Maybe they failed to gather the budget per Infinitron's assumption.

Morkar Left

so, which is gonna be the next Gaider headline:
"BioWare announces the returned of a beloved developer - David Gaider!"
or
"Obsidian announces the recruitment of a beloved developer - David Gaider!"

Bethesda pleeeeeeeeeease...

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
if the shitty purple prose of the sleeper (or sleeping god or whatever) in hotu was an attempt by gaider to ape the planescape: torment style of writing then it's probably a blessing that we never got a full planescape game from him

Cross

Arcane
David Gaider spent many years at Bioware designing RPG's around the omnisexual, genderfluid, Tali's sweat-loving fetishes of his fanbase.

What does it say about Beamdog that they couldn't afford him an opportunity worthy of a man of his caliber?

Fairfax

Arcane
The documentary that revealed the "Planescape: Unraveled" concept art was shot at March or April last year. I'd assume it was being developed at that time, and was the Gaider's project.

At last August, their concept artist uploaded a concept art that could be one from Unraveled. She most likely got a permission to upload them from her boss, and I guess her boss gave the permission because the project was canceled at that point. The reason for cancellation, is anyone's guess. Maybe they failed to gather the budget per Infinitron's assumption.
They said it was one of multiple pitches, no? Perhaps it didn't even get past those concepts, and then Gaider wasn't as interested in whatever got signed.

lol come on you never actually made anything dude.

I'd love to learn more about what happened here.
The guy hasn't worked on a good game in 8 years (or more, depending on who you ask), he probably got tired of waiting for an interesting project at Beamdog and took the best job offer he had.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
http://blog.beamdog.com/2018/02/farewell-to-dave.html

Today, Beamdog bids farewell to our Creative Director, David Gaider.

Dave came to Beamdog during interesting times. Since then, he has been teacher, mentor, and friend to many on the team. We’ve seen Dave conjure new worlds we’d love to play in, and spin stories in places already close to our hearts. Someday we will share the fruits of his labour!

Most lasting, Dave has built a creative team that will shape the stories Beamdog tells in the years to come. He has freely shared his incredible wealth of storytelling and narrative design experience with the developers, designers, and artists around him. We’ve all learned a lot from Dave and we hope he picked up a trick or two from us as well.

As fans of Dragon Age, KoTOR, Baldur’s Gate, and many of the other incredible worlds Dave has helped create, we’re excited to find out what’s next (come on, give us a clue Dave!) be it a new game, novel, or whatever else it is you choose to create.

We’ll certainly miss your lunchtime stories. Best of luck Dave!

A portrait of the artist at work.

Damn it, missed that this was already posted. Oh well.

I guess when you don't deliver anything at all during your time at a company, they have to cite the 'team building' and 'teaching' you did instead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom