Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Paradox to announce two new games in May

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Today they said on stream that they will announce two new games on ParadoxCon (may 18-20). One will be from by Paradox Development Studio and it will not be a DLC, but either a new title or sequel.
No further info yet.
Maybe Rome II or Victoria 3.

MilesBeyond

Cipher
I've actually been crossing my fingers for a GSG style fantasy game for a while now (in some ways Dominions feels a little GSG-y, but in other ways it very much isn't), so who knows. I think it'll be the right time for it, too. The upcoming major overhauls for Stellaris and HoI 4 is probably going to do a lot to boost their stock and increase hype for new releases. Of course, that depends on the changes to Stellaris and HoI4 actually being good, but Stellaris at least looks like a drastic change for the better.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
The other one is the new game from Triumph: http://aow.triumph.net/triumphs-new-game-to-be-announced-may-18th-pdxcon/

TRIUMPH’S NEW GAME TO BE ANNOUNCED MAY 18TH @ PDXCON!

Finally some big news: We will announce our next game during PDXCon in Stockholm on May 18th 2018! Yes, this game is turn-based and yes, this game should appeal to Age of Wonders fans! You can also be there with us at PDXCon, where our parent company Paradox Interactive celebrates the universes and communities of their games.

This large gathering of strategy fans and devs has seminars, contests, LAN sessions, parties and much more. Check here for the details and sign up! Looking forward to seeing you there and showing you all that we’ve been working on for the last two years!

tabacila

Augur
Hey they did sci-fi with Stellaris, maybe they'll do a fantasy game?
Rome or Victoria would be awesome though.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Civ competitor would be great, that game series desperately needs a competitor so it can stop declining.

Especially a competitor that is as moddable as Civ4 was, and Paradox games tend to be very moddable.

Civ competitor would be great, that game series desperately needs a competitor so it can stop declining.

Especially a competitor that is as moddable as Civ4 was, and Paradox games tend to be very moddable.

That would be pretty good, especially if it has an emphasis on historicity, modability and diverse experiences. I would also like a graphic experience harkening more back to Civ 2, less cartoon art and more realism, ya dig? Also a kickass soundtrack, the civ soundtrack has not been the same since 2.
I hope they do it in a good engine, because Civ4 was very moddable but GOOD LORD is that implementation of Gamebryo horrible.

mbv123

Arbiter
I guess I'll hope for Rome 2 since the original is pretty barebones and it could be fun with like 26 DLCs. Vicky 3 will just end up a complete downgrade of Vicky 2 imo
inb4 it's some stupid shit like Kaiserreich standalone or something

Whatever Paradox will release, it seems to be a Grand Strategy game, because its their studio PDS.
So we get a Paradox and a Triumph game.

EUIV, HOIV and CKII are still in production, so not those. That leaves Vicky and Rome for existing franchises.
If the info that its not Vicky3 is true, then its Rome 2 or a new game.

A new game would probably be fantasy or historical, as they already have Stellaris for sci-fi.

Time Periods that Paradox didn't cover so far:
- Bronze Age.
- Pre-Roman Iron Age.
- Late Roman Empire and Migration Era/Dark Ages/Late Antiquity.
- Cold War. Well, it conflicts a little with HOI, but HOI never had the mechanics to properly display the dynamics of the cold war, and it went up to the 60s at best.

A weird alternative would be post-apoc, I think a post-apoc Grand Strategy Game would rock.

LizardWizard

Cipher
Johan said he's been working on it so I assume it's something unambitious and china-themed to please to their new Tencent overlords.

Luka-boy

Arcane
Farming simulator.

Mark my words.
CK2-style farming Grand Strategy game where you can start as a single farmer and his small family and co-workers, a landlord owning vast fields or a big farming company. Dominate the world farming market destroying your competitors.

Develop your tools of the trade as technology progresses. Specialize your plots for different purposes. Assign the most adept of your workers/family members to the right high-profile positions, eventually giving them control over different branches of your farming empire.

Make tough choices in events to spice things up like how to fight plagues, dealing with storms and droughts, vegetarian fads, choosing to take care of the influx of refugees to help with the harvests for cheap.

Become the most recognized potato brand on the planet!
:d1p:

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The poz just hit the fan.

Paradox' new CEO has a Twitter feed full of DRUUUUUMPF and generic SJW bullshit.

This might be Rome 2, but it will be a complete fucking disgrace and rape of actual history. Imagine this laughably idiotic misrepresentation but six million times worse:

"Diversity is our strength, especially those violent Goths"
"The Goths would never pillage Rome, what are you, intolerant? EUGH!"
"Placating Romans with grain handouts financed by taxes is totally sustainable for our society"

The truth is, any game featuring the late Roman era is potentially a huge fucking powder keg straight up the ass of current leftism. Juvenal is as relevant today as any YouTuber E-celeb. Paradox has already pandered to SJWism in its treatment of Africa in EUIV, this new game can only be a huge mess, especially if it is Rome 2.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Virtually every dev on Twitter will look like that cause the rest get railroaded off the platform. I wouldn't fret about it as Paradox doesn't really have a history of forcing or shoehorning politics in.

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Virtually every dev on Twitter will look like that cause the rest get railroaded off the platform. I wouldn't fret about it as Paradox doesn't really have a history of forcing or shoehorning politics in.

You might not have noticed the tribes in darkest Africa suddenly having more advanced military tech than Austria. I've seen several times Songhai becoming a huge blob and participating in European wars with large forces steamrolling around in the Papal States and whatnot. Basically, they have modified technology group change somehow so that African nations very often are at an advantage compared to, say, central Asian countries. This was definitely not the case at release though.

The only country which arguably Westernized during this time period was Russia under Peter the Great. It's laughable when all sub-Saharan African tribes manage to instantly Westernize and are exactly on par with the most modern countries in Europe at the time of the industrial revolution.

Some references here and here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom