Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Apparently if someone says 'let's meet this evening', that isn't code for 'drop by in six months when you're bored of adventuring.'

That's not unique. The real question is whether you'll fail the quest if you don't show up or the dude will be waiting for you at the same place next evening again, which is usually the case.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
His employee Smejki can manage that just fine.
How do you know this Smejki is really Vavra's employee? Did Vavra ever confirm that this person here is the real Smejki? Could be an impostor or just a random czech dude trolling the 'Dex for teh lulz.
This guy should give us his original Böhmische Knödel recipe so that I can check its authenticity, for all I know he might be Polish and only pretends to be a Czech.

Dexter

Arcane
Btw. Smejki is there any reason why in the EU area all the Collector's Editions of the game seem to be Unavailable? Are they already sold out or didn't they go out yet?

https://www.game.co.uk/en/kingdom-come-deliverance-collectors-edition-2278092
PC obviously: https://www.game.co.uk/en/kingdom-come-deliverance-collectors-edition-2278096 but thanks, that seems to be the only shop so far that allows a Pre-Order, although they don't seem to allow orders from outside the UK above 2kg, would that fit? https://www.help.game.co.uk/hc/en-gb/articles/115000450354-International-Delivery-Options
Most EU Versions of Amazon for instance say shit like "Currently unavailable. We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock." All of the EU shops they link from their site: GameStop/Webhallen/World of Games/CDON etc. same. Is that because they haven't delivered yet, or because they've sold out all their expected stock is what I'd like to know?

Btw. Kingdom Come (the Normal or "Special Edition" version) was #1 PC game on Amazon.de and on German Steam for quite a while.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
BTW, that Skyrim fag guy mentions reading is a skill. There's stuff you can read in the game? Smejki, do tell us.

An interview they did a while back explained that letters appear as gibberish to those with a low reading skill, but there's a state in-between comprehending the entire message and not being able to read the message at all. You'll be able to make out parts of the message as the skill improves.

Couldn't find the interview itself, but I did stumble across another interesting titbit about rare time sensitive quests. Apparently if someone says 'let's meet this evening', that isn't code for 'drop by in six months when you're bored of adventuring.'

Copper Dreams has something similar. If your character's reading skill is too low he'll see everything as Microsoft Word symbols when document is corrupted.

55859fb930ab8f0bf5cb1569371947a4_original.png

I think it's great that Kingdom Come features such mechanic. It makes it more immersive and RPG experience where majority of usual AAA players can learn two things simultaneously: difference between player and character skill in RPG and perhaps alongside Henry they might learn how to read too.

Warhorse Studio: Educating and battling illiteracy among consolfags since 1403 2018.

PorkBarrellGuy

I like the reading skill thing for a number of reasons, though I know the kiddies will just metagame it away like they metagame everything else away.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Can you play as a nigger or a female? If not I'm going to twitter them that their game is not inclusive
I read that you could play as a female but it had disadvantages to being a male. Maybe I'm actually thinking of Mountain Blade, not sure.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Apparently if someone says 'let's meet this evening', that isn't code for 'drop by in six months when you're bored of adventuring.'

That's not unique. The real question is whether you'll fail the quest if you don't show up or the dude will be waiting for you at the same place next evening again, which is usually the case.

Apparently there’s a window where they get mad at you for being late and after that they either do it themselves or find someone else to do it.

Btw. Kingdom Come (the Normal or "Special Edition" version) was #1 PC game on Amazon.de and on German Steam for quite a while.

It’s not a good thing when ze germans take too much of an interest in Bohemia and Moravia.

PS. Is anyone else deeply upset that this comes out the day before Valentine’s Day? If it’s really good my girlfriend is going to break up with me for flagrantly ignoring her. I wish I had the self control to stop myself from playing immediately.

Smejki Since you have been so nice as to answer questions, I have a few gameplay related ones.

1. In terms of melee combat, since a properly timed parry opens up your opponent to a counter-attack in "bullet-time", what's the incentive for the player to attack, and not always use the previously mentioned defensive move?

2. The game seems to have a quest compass, which is an unfortunate concession to the mainstream casuals, any way we could convince you to make that optional? A related question, is it possible to figure out where to go from the dialogue itself so that the quest compass could be disabled?

3. Early interviews described hunting as being a side-activity in the game. Is that still in? Is it an in-depth system? What I mean is, is it something where animals have complex behavior, need to be tracked/stalked, special weapons/tools, or is it just you running into the forest and whacking a bear with your sword?

Appreciate your time and responses.
ad 1. What you are describing is a perfect block which indeed gives you a sort of special opportunity window. It's not a free card which would render the opponent completely defenseless however. Combat between high skilled player and a higher level NPC often includes long exchanges of perfect blocks and perfect evasions. Also perfect blocks are really hard to, well, perfect. We are not talking about AssCreed combat system set of incentives where you were pretty much force into a neverending sequence of wait->perfect block->counter-attack->rinse and repeat. Other incentives include
- other neat tricks which are more effective and faster to perform and chain and also less likely to succeed from the get-go.
- if your intend to exclusively hit the opponent through perfect-block->counter-attack combo you'll be primarily hitting the opponent into regenerating stamina instead of health. In order to harm the opponent (provided you've mastered the technique of perfect blocks) it it best for you to switch to other types of attack right after your counter-attack which are more risky and could be used against you.

ad 2. What we found out is that our "Living World™" is hard to navigate. If you played the alpha/beta, you might have noticed there was no telepathic knowledge of NPC names and next to no markers. Important NPCs could wander around a lot. It was really hard and frustrating sometimes. Sure, one could add a bunch of "Where's Waldo?" dialogues (and we did) and other supporting in-world systems and items however we decided to focus on other things, like quests and reactivity and whatnot. Also such systems and related nuisances might be fun for a small map with 5 quests and 30 NPCs but not for 100 quests on a large map with 1000 NPCs. An example - if you are meant to follow someone and they are meant to be independent from and you get astray, you are fucked without a marker, but if you're following the instructions you don't need to pay much attention to it. In that sense the markers even give you more freedom. And that's how the games is meant to be played. You are not dependent on markers 100% of the time but they are there and they make your life much easier. Some quests might rely on markers more than others. In short - the static text-driven worlds of olden days were much much easier to work with.

ad 3. We never got around to create any deeper systems around hunting or animals. It's a pretty standard thing you can find in most open-worldy games. Maybe in some next Kingdom Come. The archery alone is challenging enough.

Thanks, Smejki, for the detailed responses. Your answer to question 1 was perfect, and made me look forward to the game even more than before. I have not been in the beta, so I was only exposed to the combat system from reading about it or watching youtube videos, and your response seems to indicate that it's a lot more complex than it appears. One of the things I was worried about is that it would fall into the same trap as most other melee combat systems in video games, and be just a series of one-offs. Attack, defense, phase 1 done. Attack, defense, phase 2 done. And so on, until somebody's hitpoints end. But from what you described, it sounds like in KCD, there is more of a tie-in between phases, and more of a flow.

Question 2 answer was a bit disappointing, but I understand what you are saying. It's definitely more challenging to design a good tracking system in a dynamic modern game. I do think though something better than markers/compasses is possible. Maybe a system with a "landmark" map of the gameworld, whereby the game would keep track of dynamic NPCs by associating them with the closest landmark on the map, and having other NPCs give the player directions based on that.

I understand where something like that would be frightening for you guys, since it might potentially scare off a lot of mainstream players, but I feel like the negative effect of quest markers/compasses is underestimated.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I just want to know how shit the combat is on this scale

dark messiah ---------- good --------- bad ----------- witcher 3 shit

PorkBarrellGuy

I just want to know how shit the combat is on this scale

dark messiah ---------- good --------- bad ----------- witcher 3 shit

>Dark Messiah
>better than good
I mean, yes, it was fun but it had all the depth of a wading pool, even with magic involved (this is mostly due to the AI, though, I think)

PorkBarrellGuy

It seems to be selling to Trumpers based on Vavra's hijinks :lol:, there's even some people who want to buy a console cause of it if the comments are anything to go buy, on the other hand this could indicate an influx of dirty casuals:

https://www.reddit.com/r/The_Donald...developer_facing_sjw_onslaught_for_no_poc_in/
https://www.reddit.com/r/The_Donald/comments/7wcrue/based_game_studio_needs_our_support_i_just/

>buy a console
>could indicate an influx of dirty casuals

One almost guarantees the other. Still, I'm sure Warhorse won't mind more money in their pocket, regardless of who it comes from.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I am absolutely going to buy this game. I'm not even a gamer. I don't even know what hardware it runs on. No matter, I'm buying it, because his enemies are my enemies. If I can actually run it and play it, so much the better!

Now that's a commitment. SJWs stand no chance.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
I'm not really convinced with the First Person. It looks straight out of Arma, with body simulation. Which fucking sucks.

I need a 3rd person mode.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom