Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
What is it with you and this obsession with picking up an apple as the epitome of good game design?

Yes, what is it about taking up things in a game. Maybe Skyrim should have left out that part as well, have you told Todd?

Take out the physics engine as well, that allows more resources to add more scripted dialogs.

Burning Bridges

m5zWz8r.jpg

"This apple is part of the terrain and contains 0% story."

In comparison:

incline.png

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Smejki
In one of the more recent videos I watched there was a battle where Henry went with a group of soldiers to attack a camp. What I noticed is that while two groups engaged each other, the player circled around his troops and would attack the first outer enemy soldier from the flank. After one or two hits if the soldier lived it would turn around towards the player and try to engage. Player would move back and that enemy soldier would turn back and join the main fray again. Player could continue this tactic until he got many easy kills. Also some of the enemy soldiers were standing in the back and not in the main fray but none of them engaged the player to punish him for being alone and outside his group.

Is this bad AI still in the game or did you guys work on making the game more realistic?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It was not in 2011 or so when they started with their shit website that showed some cool illustration and made it sound like they were going to make something special. Now it's AAA, popamole and this smejki guy probably grins to himself when he tells "I have no idea where all this came from" "now enjoy the emotionally engaging storyline and C&C"

To Smejki, M&B is righteously considered the most innovative game about the middle ages since the 2000s. What you have created is just another popamole AAA game. Good job. Keep my 30€ and smear them in your hair of you want.
Sorry to be the one pouring cold water, but this is the second time I see you call M&B a medieval game. It's a fantasy game, not a medieval one.

It's a subjective opinion, but I'd call Darklands a "more medieval" game than M&B.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Where this :butthurt:came from? Its not like this game is about glorious Hussite wars or something; the enemy here are Hungarians not Krauts BB; moreover it was clear the game will be Skyrim done right and Twicher without magic (and hot cykas) from the moment the developers admitted it will be fully 3D FPP/TPP game.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Where this :butthurt:came from? Its not like this game is about glorious Hussite wars or something; the enemy here are Hungarians not Krauts BB; moreover it was clear the game will be Skyrim done right and Twicher without magic (and hot cykas) from the moment the developers admitted it will be fully 3D FPP/TPP game.
It is PTSD from Witcher 3 winning GotY on 'Dex.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Development on this game began a few months after Dan Vavra published a "Why I Hate Skyrim" article. It was clear at the the time that it was meant to be a Skyrim-killer. I remember he had a blog post about it, which I can't seem to find now.

There's only this Czech version of the article now: https://games.tiscali.cz/tema/100-duvodu-proc-dan-vavra-nesnasi-tes-v-skyrim-57711

P.S. You guys take Burning Bridges too seriously.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Um...you can pick apples in KCD. In fact you have to do that to not starve. You hyped now?

My problem with the apples and everything else in KCD is that every single item pickup contains a goddamn 30 minutes long animation which I was hating on even in the alpha and it's still fucking annoying especially if you break into a pantry and try to pick 20 apples and 15 cheeses AND IT TAKES FUCKING FOREVER AND IT'S ANNOYING AND GODDAMN Smejki WHAT WERE YOU GUYS THINKING?!!!! :x

Aaaand I'm calm again. Is fine.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane

Um...you can pick apples in KCD. In fact you have to do that to not starve. You hyped now?

My problem with the apples and everything else in KCD is that every single item pickup contains a goddamn 30 minutes long animation which I was hating on even in the alpha and it's still fucking annoying especially if you break into a pantry and try to pick 20 apples and 15 cheeses AND IT TAKES FUCKING FOREVER AND IT'S ANNOYING AND GODDAMN Smejki WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?!!!! :x

Aaaand I'm calm again. Is fine.
Level up your Stealing skill :M

Burning Bridges

I most definitely are. I might skip the entire storyline and set up a fruit shop near the road.

P.S. There was nothing of that sort in the last demo I tried though. The whole town was a Potemkin village with a few points of interest, and the apples where glued to the ground.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Development on this game began a few months after Dan Vavra published a "Why I Hate Skyrim" article. It was clear at the the time that it was meant to be a Skyrim-killer. I remember he had a blog post about it, which I can't seem to find now.

There's only this Czech version of the article now: https://games.tiscali.cz/tema/100-duvodu-proc-dan-vavra-nesnasi-tes-v-skyrim-57711

Oh, I may have been confused. He published a Why I Hate Skyrim article, and a few months after that, a blog post in English about killing Call of Duty (and about how AAA games in general have overinflated budgets): https://warhorsestudios.cz/index.php?page=blog&entry=blog_007

Not sure there was ever an English version of the Skyrim article.

SlamDunk

Arcane
It was clear at the the time that it was meant to be a Skyrim-killer.
I've read his blogs and never had that impression about Daniel Vávra nor Warhorse Studios.

To me, it's much more like he was just longing for a real alternative to what's currently on the RPG market. Not a killer of anything, but something different... and I welcome that.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
P.S. There was nothing of that sort in the last demo I tried though. The whole town was a Potemkin village with a few points of interest, and the apples where glued to the ground.

Maybe that was because the latest "beta" available to public is from March 2015 IIRC, which was still a little more than a pre-alpha tech demo.

Not sure there was ever an English version of the Skyrim article.

I don't think so. I guess someone might've run it through Google Translator but I doubt Vavra himself or anyone else bothered to translate that long ass treatise the hard way.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I think i may have been the one to throw out the Skyrim killer idea. Skyrim is popular because to most people, LARPing = RPG. The fact the game is extremely shitty in execution doesn't seem to matter, the vast majority of people just like the idea of "pretending" to be their character. A Skyrim done well would probably bury Bethesda to the ground, especially after the semi fiasco that was Fallout 4 (and at some level, people MUST realize how crappy those games are, or there wouldn't be near as many mods).

That was before i knew about the Mafia connection and maybe this game is better off being more story driven (or a mix of story and simulation) than just autistic free roaming LARPing where everything scales to your level and nothing you do actually matters.

And i just want the game to succeed because i want historical medieval settings to become a thing. I came profusely when that cathedral and monastery shot appeared in the trailer. Blow me.:M

Last edited:

Beowulf

Arcane
It is PTSD from Witcher 3 winning GotY on 'Dex.

Which is quite interesting, as (if I remember correctly) there were apples in W3 that you could loot and eat.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
That was before i knew about the Mafia connection and maybe this game is better off being more story driven than just autistic free roaming LARPing where everything scales to your level and nothing you do actually matters .

Isn't M&B just the sort of autistic free-roaming LARPing in a purely historical world? I've only played it for like half an hour before I got bored to tears but it seemed exactly that. I guess the strategic element saved it for a lot of people. If it was a Skyrim-like RPG only history buffs would probably enjoy it.

What I think Warhorse went for in KCD was marrying three things: 1. an open world, 2. great cinematic story, 3. robust gameplay. All the previous RPGs had only one of those, two at most. Never all three. If they succeed they'll definitely push the envelope of what's been considered possible up until now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom