Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
Smejki Since you have been so nice as to answer questions, I have a few gameplay related ones.

1. In terms of melee combat, since a properly timed parry opens up your opponent to a counter-attack in "bullet-time", what's the incentive for the player to attack, and not always use the previously mentioned defensive move?

2. The game seems to have a quest compass, which is an unfortunate concession to the mainstream casuals, any way we could convince you to make that optional? A related question, is it possible to figure out where to go from the dialogue itself so that the quest compass could be disabled?

3. Early interviews described hunting as being a side-activity in the game. Is that still in? Is it an in-depth system? What I mean is, is it something where animals have complex behavior, need to be tracked/stalked, special weapons/tools, or is it just you running into the forest and whacking a bear with your sword?

Appreciate your time and responses.
ad 1. What you are describing is a perfect block which indeed gives you a sort of special opportunity window. It's not a free card which would render the opponent completely defenseless however. Combat between high skilled player and a higher level NPC often includes long exchanges of perfect blocks and perfect evasions. Also perfect blocks are really hard to, well, perfect. We are not talking about AssCreed combat system set of incentives where you were pretty much force into a neverending sequence of wait->perfect block->counter-attack->rinse and repeat. Other incentives include
- other neat tricks which are more effective and faster to perform and chain and also less likely to succeed from the get-go.
- if your intend to exclusively hit the opponent through perfect-block->counter-attack combo you'll be primarily hitting the opponent into regenerating stamina instead of health. In order to harm the opponent (provided you've mastered the technique of perfect blocks) it it best for you to switch to other types of attack right after your counter-attack which are more risky and could be used against you.

ad 2. What we found out is that our "Living World™" is hard to navigate. If you played the alpha/beta, you might have noticed there was no telepathic knowledge of NPC names and next to no markers. Important NPCs could wander around a lot. It was really hard and frustrating sometimes. Sure, one could add a bunch of "Where's Waldo?" dialogues (and we did) and other supporting in-world systems and items however we decided to focus on other things, like quests and reactivity and whatnot. Also such systems and related nuisances might be fun for a small map with 5 quests and 30 NPCs but not for 100 quests on a large map with 1000 NPCs. An example - if you are meant to follow someone and they are meant to be independent from and you get astray, you are fucked without a marker, but if you're following the instructions you don't need to pay much attention to it. In that sense the markers even give you more freedom. And that's how the games is meant to be played. You are not dependent on markers 100% of the time but they are there and they make your life much easier. Some quests might rely on markers more than others. In short - the static text-driven worlds of olden days were much much easier to work with.

ad 3. We never got around to create any deeper systems around hunting or animals. It's a pretty standard thing you can find in most open-worldy games. Maybe in some next Kingdom Come. The archery alone is challenging enough.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
It's a AAA game. Of course it is going to have a degree of norminess and it's never going to be the type of masterpiece autistic Codexers would want above all else. We all knew this from day one. The question is whether it is going to be good enough for what it is. The setting alone was a big selling point regardless and so far it seems the game is doing a lot of things right, at least judging from those various preview videos. If you were expecting M&B with AAA graphics and the attention of detail and story telling of Mafia, you were just fooling yourself and there's no reason we have to take your delusions into consideration. Mafia with swords or even Stalker with swords was as much as we could have expected from this (if the game is more, all the better), certainly not M&B.

Last edited:

Smejki

Developer
There is none. Afaik there is only one option, Czech-Teutonic middle ages dubbed with that badly overacted English. No Czech, no German, no Latin. Only that corny English.
English, German, French
emoticon-0109-kiss.gif

(is there not enough love on the 'Dex for it to feature a kissing smilie? Disgrace! What a shameful site! :argh:)

Last edited:

Smejki

Developer
That M&B thing is a bit of mystery to us. We could be explaining this to no end that we are primarily story focused game more akin to Witcher and Skyrim and, yeah, Mafia. We never even mentioned M&B, yet from the very start people keep asking whether they'll be able to do "this and that thing M&B is exclusively known for or could include if expanded."

"Will I be able to become a king?" No, you are this preset Henry guy and you're a son of a blacksmith. It's written right there, see?
"Will I be able to assemble my own armies?" No, etc etc etc dtto
"Will I be able to build my own castle?" Wait what? Did you even..... ?
"Will I be able to play as a female?" That'd be really cool but we already have a set story arc which doesn't allow....
"Will I be able to dynamicaly lay sieges to cities and castles and burn them to the ground?" Dude!

Is it because we are medieval and we mentioned the word sandbox and overexcited people just jump to the conclusion? Mount and Blade is a completely different game. It's like Rage and Fallout: New Vegas. Yeah, both is postapo, you control a guy, and you do some shooty-bangy stuff.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It's just M&B fanboys overexcited for Bannerlord.

"I love the idea of KCD, game looks great! But I wish the main hero was a space marine instead of a blacksmith, the setting was future Japan instead of medieval Europe, it was action instead of RPG and a movie instead of a videogame."

Steam forums are full of this sort of retardery.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
See, Ubisoft rammed a chick into Origins in a brutally strained and inorganic way. It was terrible but they got thumbs up from everyone bc muh femynz and shieeet, made a fucking bundle and now it's the Citizen Kane of videogames.

Warhorse is not smart. You gotta be smart in this world.

Smejki

Developer
"Will I be able to play as a female?" That'd be really cool but we already have a set story arc which doesn't allow....
hang on a minute
jOIuKoz.png

I know it was cut and I'm glad there isn't a female playable char, but I just thought it was funny
You'll be able to relive a part of the story from POV of one of the female NPCs. It's a short questline. Written right there.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
hang on a minute
jOIuKoz.png

I know it was cut and I'm glad there isn't a female playable char, but I just thought it was funny

They should have added female character minigame with her own main quest, where you could do laundry by the river for a whole day, with short breaks for cookin' and farming turnips. Oh, and eating and sleeping, for immershun sake. Don't forget occassional bangin' with some horny and filthy peasant on a straw bed cot.
SJW's butthurt would be glorious.

Anyway, UI doesn't look that bad. It's a spreadsheet, ya - but looks pretty organized and you have everything you need on it (provided that there are tooltips on mouse hover. Dunno, haven't played it) I wouldn't expect anything "not-popamole™" in 2k18 anyway.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
That M&B thing is a bit of mystery to us. We could be explaining this to no end that we are primarily story focused game more akin to Witcher and Skyrim and, yeah, Mafia. We never even mentioned M&B, yet from the very start people keep asking whether they'll be able to do "this and that thing M&B is exclusively known for or could include if expanded."

"Will I be able to become a king?" No, you are this preset Henry guy and you're a son of a blacksmith. It's written right there, see?
"Will I be able to dynamicaly lay sieges to cities and castles and burn them to the ground?" Dude!

Is it because we are medieval and we mentioned the word sandbox and overexcited people just jump to the conclusion? Mount and Blade is a completely different game. It's like Rage and Fallout: New Vegas. Yeah, both is postapo, you control a guy, and you do some shooty-bangy stuff.

uh.. wasn't playing as a female one of the stretch goals? wow we got another inxile on our hands!

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

This game will probably spark my interest in the region's history in that time period, but my strong hope is that it will open up the market and provide the financing for telling even more stories of this contained scale, taking place in other locations of the same period. My dream game - taking part as a soldier in the French march on Naples in 1494 and the dramatic battle at Fornovo. Reading history you come to be amazed how many excellent stories are there waiting for someone to tell them.

deama

Prophet
I'd be neat if there was a dlc where you played a female. Though I wouldn't like it if there was fighting and stuff; it would have to be dialogue and interactivity heavy.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I'm only kind of worried about combat being boring/shitty in this game, even Vavra said in one of the trailers if the combat will be shit they atleast have the music...... hope the mods will take it as first priority

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
It's a AAA game. Of course it is going to have a degree of norminess and it's never going to be the type of masterpiece autistic Codexers would want above all else. We all knew this from day one. The question is whether it is going to be good enough for what it is. The setting alone was a big selling point regardless and so far it seems the game is doing a lot of things right, at least judging from those various preview videos. If you were expecting M&B with AAA graphics and the attention of detail and story telling of Mafia, you were just fooling yourself and there's no reason we have to take your delusions into consideration. Mafia with swords or even Stalker with swords was as much as we could have expected from this (if the game is more, all the better), certainly not M&B.

It was not in 2011 or so when they started with their shit website that showed some cool illustration and made it sound like they were going to make something special. Now it's AAA, popamole and this smejki guy probably grins to himself when he tells "I have no idea where all this came from" "now enjoy the emotionally engaging storyline and C&C"

To Smejki, M&B is righteously considered the most innovative game about the middle ages since the 2000s. What you have created is just another popamole AAA game. Good job. Keep my 30€ and smear them in your hair of you want.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I think you were just imagining things. The first thing that came to my mind when i first saw this game was Skyrim except not shitty. It then turned out the people behind Mafia and Operation Flashpoint were doing this so i started to see elements of those games as well. At no point did i ever get the impression this was going to be anything similar to M&B, though perhaps that was the case at the very beginning, in a distant time only you seem to remember.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I think you were just imagining things. The first thing that came to my mind when i first saw this game was Skyrim except not shitty. It then turned out the people behind Mafia and Operation Flashpoint were doing this so i started to see elements of those games as well. At no point did i ever get the impression this was going to be anything similar to M&B, though perhaps that was the case at the very beginning, in a distant time only you seem to remember.

But even in Skyrim you can move and manipulate objects. Of course I also knew Mafia. But they then went and said "RPG" and that still has connotations of freedom. Certainly not their problem, but had this been known I would not have given 1 shit.

Hopefully someone makes another M&B, or Bannerlord gets finished before I die.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth

But even in Skyrim you can move and manipulate objects. Of course I also knew Mafia. But they then went and said "RPG" and that still has connotations of freedom. Certainly not their problem, but had this been known I would not have given 1 shit.

Hopefully someone makes another M&B, or Bannerlord gets finished before I die.

But you still have freedom in the game based on everything they've shown.. Of course you don't have limitless freedom, it is a finite video game. There are plenty of CRPGs that don't let you move and manipulate random objects, how is KCD any different? What is the fascination with picking up objects? Wow you can pick up cans in Half-Life 2, must be more of an RPG than Kingdom Come!

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Rather than getting pissed this game isn't what you thought it was, take it for what it is and hope it's good at what it is actually trying to be. If this game is basically a mix of Mafia and ARMA with swords, so be it. If it's Skyrim sans dragons, ok, that's fine too. As long as it's not shit at being what it wants to be.

Last edited:

Mark Richard

Arcane
What is it with you and this obsession with picking up an apple as the epitome of good game design?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom