Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Western JRPG Bevontule: Altar of Roots now on Kickstarter

jac8awol

Arbiter
Systems and visuals look decent but is this a 'cute' game? That word 'Japanese' has me worried. Got no time for big eyes kawaii Japanese, but if it's gritty torture club katana dismemberment Japanese then I will support this.

MTG_Derek

Multithreaded Games
Developer
Systems and visuals look decent but is this a 'cute' game? That word 'Japanese' has me worried. Got no time for big eyes kawaii Japanese, but if it's gritty torture club katana dismemberment Japanese then I will support this.

It's more of 'big eye kawaii' + 'katana dismemberment' + 'godzilla.'

OK, not really. The art style/characters are more western--you won't find any cutesy girls (or boys) with big eyes. Mainly the J in JRPG refers to the fact that it's somewhat similar in substance, not style, to Japanese RPGs. There is a strong emphasis on the plot, and while it does feature several open-world aspects as well (and plenty of opportunities for exploration) the story is largely linear. The plot is most definitely more 'mature' (I know people hate that term, but it definitely helps differentiate it from the standard, more 'benign' plots of other JRPGs) The customization leans more towards Japanese-style RPGs in terms of its depth and complexity (not that Western RPGs don't have that too.) Also, the fact that it's turn-based.

Hope this helped to answer your question!

Cross

Arcane
Is there a particular reason (besides it being a JRPG) why party members are invisible outside of combat and why bumping into a monster teleports you to a separate combat arena? Is it to avoid pathfinding issues?

MTG_Derek

Multithreaded Games
Developer
Is there a particular reason (besides it being a JRPG) why party members are invisible outside of combat and why bumping into a monster teleports you to a separate combat arena? Is it to avoid pathfinding issues?

With respect to the single character, it is somewhat easier to just have one controlled character without having the others meandering around--as I'm sure you've noticed, this leads to a lot of hilarity in games when it's not implemented properly or robustly. That being said, it does add to a lot of immersion, so we'll certainly revisit it. We also plan on having the player be able to 'swap' active characters (as active characters have different 'field skills'), so it would be nicer to just swap to a character that is already on the 'field.' Definitely worth thinking about.

As for the combat arena, there are a lot of considerations (way more than the previous issue) in terms of having an engagement in any arbitrary location. Just to name a few: positioning the enemies and allies properly, making sure that the terrain that they're on is amenable, making sure that the obstacles are interacted with properly, and a whole host of the other 'fun' issues. It would definitely make combat a lot more dynamic, however, but is not something we can currently do without a significant investment in R&D.

Thanks for your interest!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom