Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ancestors Legacy - a not so edgy viking RTS from the creators of "Hatred"

vonAchdorf

Arcane
https://destructivecreations.pl/games/ancestors-legacy.html

https://af.gog.com/game/ancestors?as=1649904300

This game has been revealed some time ago, but it flew under my radar until I saw some Gamescom coverage of the title.

PRAGUE, Czech Republic, May 9th 2017 – 1C is pleased to announce Ancestors, a squad-based real-time strategy with a strong focus on tactics. In close cooperation with developer Destructive Creations, 1C will bring Ancestors to Windows PC and Xbox One. Being equally dedicated to both platforms, the title features native gamepad support with an optimized command system for the quick reactions necessary in the RTS genre. More information, together with release dates and a hands-on build, will be revealed at this year’s Gamescom.

Following the teaser artwork released with the first announcement in March, Ancestors now has an in-engine rendered cinematic trailer, which brings us closer to the battles of the Middle ages, when many conflicts were resolved through violent, bloody war. Men fought bravely, fiercely and viciously at close range. But only a few would emerge victorious, while the motionless corpses of their fallen friends and foes were left buried in the blood-soaked mud beneath their feet.

The new trailer brings us not just the heat of battle, but also gives us a taste of Ancestors’ cinematic action camera, which will allow players to descend from the classic RTS ‘god view’ right down to the level of the warriors under their command. See what they see, feel what they feel, become one of them – before rising back up again to get a good overview of the battlefield, explore the environment and find ways to use it to their advantage. Ancestors, in its extensive campaigns covering 4 different nations, offers many different ways of creating tactical dominance and overall superiority on the battlefield.

About the game

Take command of your army as you storm through medieval Europe in an extensive series of campaigns. Choosing one of the four available nations – Viking, Anglo-Saxon, German, Slav – you will be tasked with more than just conquering, raiding and pillaging enemy camps, villages and towns. Only by utilizing the full range of available tactical options, taking strategic advantage of the environment, and managing your temporary bases and settlements, will you emerge victorious.

Ancestors is a historically accurate real-time strategy game influenced by historical events in the Middle Ages. The game combines resource management and base building with large-scale, squad-based battles across vast battlefields, all rendered in great detail thanks to the Unreal Engine 4 tech. Experience medieval bloodshed like never before, thanks to the cinematic action camera that puts you right in the middle of the battle at the press of a button.

Features

• 4 playable nations in an extensive single player campaign inspired by historical events
  • Advanced tactical options combining the use of terrain, experience and morale
  • Cinematic battle camera view puts you right in the center of the action
  • Outstanding visual fidelity powered by Unreal Engine 4
  • Intense multiplayer battles
  • Streamlined resource management and village construction

Game Information
Platforms: PC Windows, Xbox One
Publisher: 1C Company
Developer: Destructive Creations

Links
Steam Store Page: Store.steampowered.com
Press kit: Bit.ly
Announcement Trailer: Youtu.be
Official website: www.ancestors-game.com

Gameplay trailer:

An RTS with XBone release kinda raises a red flag. But maybe they can make it work, the gameplay trailer shows XBone controls.

fBrX9gN.jpg
pnFp3C6.jpg
SsJAcgZ.jpg
udjHszc.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The combat seems a bit like "small scale TW" of some sort? It does look interesting indeed

vonAchdorf

Arcane
They sent a version with three introductory missions to a couple of Youtubers (I randomly picked an English speaking one - can't vouch for his quality):

Game looks interesting. Although with what seems to be its console focus and building groups as opposed to single characters I can't help but think there's a missed opportunity to let you control a single character like Kingdom Under Fire does when forces clash...especially when theirs hero characters that aren't in groups.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I watched on twitch some people play this in MP and... it does not look very interesting. Only a few units, all in squads, basically no macro play (your towns seem to gather shit themselves with no real need to manage stuff).

There are no intense battles, units do level up after a while but only with minor bonuses that real rts let you purchase with resources.

And they were not kidding with streamlined resource and town management. The game is crap.

Bocian

Arcane

We've spontaneously decided to grab the microphone/camera and comment on the most frequent questions and doubts from the ~90k users of our open beta.

The result is as amateur, clickbait and human-touchy as we'll ever get. But hey, at least we hope it's informative.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"We will be balancing the game until we drop dead or die.
So you can be sure that will be happening."
:philosoraptor:

The game seems to be fully based on RPS mechanics. Berserkers > shield guys > spear guys.
I don't really like that. Certainly not as extreme as the video shows the game will be.
2 berserker squads (being a tier 2 unit) completely annihilate 3 shield guy squads (being a tier 1 unit) barely taking any loss.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It looks fairly promising,could turn up good.

thesheeep every strategy game have unite counters. Also it could be that this guys are some kind of hero units or there are some kind of scenario buffs/debuffs. Anyway,when it comes out we will take it apart if it is shit.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
thesheeep every strategy game have unite counters.
I don't disagree with that, basically.
What I don't like is how extreme it is and that it seems fully arbitrary.

Take an imaginary game with a more varied setup. It has various attack types and defenses against those attack types. Then there are flying units, ranged, AoE units, cavalry, different melee ranges, etc.
Just quite a lot of stuff.
And every race/nation/whatever has various units with different values in the defense and attack types.

In such a setup, it will naturally occur that some unit X is well suited against some unit Y.
But the reason for that is way more logical than just an arbitrary setting that says "this spearman does 3x damage against cavalry just because".
The reason would be that the unit has a longer range, does piercing damage and is more flexible in turning around. While the cavalry unit is more vulnerable to piercing (because horse), has a short range and turns around rather slowly (because horse).

In the video above, we see about 30 shielded men being slaughtered by 20 men with an axe without any noticeable loss. It is absurd.
There is no explanation here, no logic other than "this is my T2 rock and those were your T1 scissors". At this point, you might as well be playing RPS directly.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
thesheeep every strategy game have unite counters.
I don't disagree with that, basically.
What I don't like is how extreme it is and that it seems fully arbitrary.

Take an imaginary game with a more varied setup. It has various attack types and defenses against those attack types. Then there are flying units, ranged, AoE units, cavalry, different melee ranges, etc.
Just quite a lot of stuff.
And every race/nation/whatever has various units with different values in the defense and attack types.

In such a setup, it will naturally occur that some unit X is well suited against some unit Y.
But the reason for that is way more logical than just an arbitrary setting that says "this spearman does 3x damage against cavalry just because".
The reason would be that the unit has a longer range, does piercing damage and is more flexible in turning around. While the cavalry unit is more vulnerable to piercing (because horse), has a short range and turns around rather slowly (because horse).

In the video above, we see about 30 shielded men being slaughtered by 20 men with an axe without any noticeable loss. It is absurd.
There is no explanation here, no logic other than "this is my T2 rock and those were your T1 scissors". At this point, you might as well be playing RPS directly.
Yeah,i didn't watch it before. It seems that they will be working on balancing the game. I will wait for it to come out before tearing it a new asshole :). Still i don't like hard counters,the only game that managed to pull this was Red Alert 2. I care only for the campaign and its story,don't care about multiplayer and all that jazz.

Bocian

Arcane

Cavalry seems overpowered like hell.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom