Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Obsidian have trademarked "The Outer Worlds", possible title for Cain and Boyarsky's Project Indiana

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Reminds me of one of Tim Cain's AMA answers 4 years (oh my...) ago: https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comm...sidian_eternity_team_ask_us_anything/cfotz7q/

I think Roger Zelazny's "Lord Of Light" would make a great CRPG.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_of_Light

Zelazny noted that Lord of Light was intentionally written so that it could be taken as a science fiction or a fantasy novel.

"On the one hand, I attempted to provide some justifications for what went on in the way of the bizarre; on the other, I employed a style I associate with fantasy in the telling of the story. I wrote it that way on purpose, leaving some intentional ambiguity, because I wanted it to lie somewhat between both camps and not entirely in either. I did this because I did not see much stuff being written at that time which fit that description; because I wanted to see whether I could do it; and because I was curious as to how such a book would be received."[3]

mystery.png

Sweet mother of Mahasamatman! He’s so fucking right. Anything set in that universe would be my dream game. Tim Cain has impeccable taste.

imweasel

"The Outer Worlds" sounds pretty sci-fi, but it could easily be a high-fantasy setting too. Think outer planes.

I'd love to be optimistic, but all that Tim Cain bullshittery about simplification, broadening the audience, character creation being an obstacle and then the "shapes as values" straight crazytalk
Sperging about this is pointless, because presenting the data ("muh numbers!") to the player in an unconventional way doesn't necessarily mean that the underlying systems must be drastically simplified. Some people simply have a much easier time relating to shapes and graphs than to numbers.

t0gckfQ.png

Glop_dweller

Prophet
The Outer Worlds:The continued adventures of Uncle Traveling Matt.

I'd love to be optimistic, but all that Tim Cain bullshittery about simplification, broadening the audience, character creation being an obstacle and then the "shapes as values" straight crazytalk, dims out even the presence of Boyarsky on the team. I guess, we'll see what comes out of this, but I have a feeling that the mechanics will evolve into something trashy like Fallout 4 stat/skill mashup.
This bothered me too, but I don't think it's baseless—unfortunately. If that's what he has to do to engage an audience... more's the pity—for us, but that's apparently what he believes that he has to do. :(
(... and he might be right.)

It reminds me of a painter that I know, who can do the most superb oil-worked portraits; utterly impressive... but is instead selling simplified jazz scenes, done in bright but sparse pallettes, and doing $20 quick sketch portraits to passers by on the street—because that's what sells for him. :(

Last edited:

Visbhume

Prophet
I would love to see something like the Gaean Reach from the works of Jack Vance, a core of civilized planets surrounded by plenty of frontier worlds filled with outcasts, strange societies, and natural wonders, but without too advanced technology, robots, boring post-human-whatevers, dickhead precursor civilizations or galaxy-spanning conflagrations.

Just recongnizable humans hopping between exotic worlds, driven by of greater-than-life-but-smaller-than-the-universe objectives: vengeance, treasure, wisdom or whatever.

One can dream.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Lisan al Gaib is the Fremen term for an off-world prophet.

It is "The Voice from the Outer World" and is outlined in Fremen messianic legends heavily influenced by the Bene Gesserit's Missionaria Protectiva. It is also translated as the "Giver of Water."
Dune rpg confirmed

sstacks

Arcane
The Codex finds a way to declare incline or decline based on a trademark filing consisting of three words without context (one of which is "the") that may or may not be related to the game they are waiting on. All. Is. Right. With. The. World.

:cainapproves:

himmy

Arcane
some idea about mythological based kinda netherworlds that existed around the corner/in the shadows of reality? One misstep around a corner in London and you're in the darkened alleyways of Whitechapel being stalked by a butcher, one fogbank rolls into Bergen and a beaching Drakkar dispenses mail clad raiders, the ergs shift the sun blinds and you're wandering out of the desert into ancient Memphis.

You're literally just describing The Secret World.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
The Codex finds a way to declare incline or decline based on a trademark filing consisting of three words without context (one of which is "the") that may or may not be related to the game they are waiting on. All. Is. Right. With. The. World.

Autism. Autism never changes.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Autism. Autism never changes.

Hey, if religious fanatics can spend centuries theorizing about how two or three lines in their holy book predict when and how the world will end, RPG fanatics can apply the same analytical tools to whatever incremental information slowly drips out of Obsidian. It’s meaningless speculation and it will not stop until we find out what this damn game will be.

So, I did some googling and found out that Zelazny’s Lord of Light is, in fact, Tim’s favorite book, or at least it was his favorite 18 odd years ago. The book takes place on a colony world where the descendants of the passengers have regressed to a more primative medieval social structure, while the colony ship’s crew use super advanced technoloy to live forever and set themselves up as gods, specifically the Hindu pantheon. Alas, this setting would be only one outer world, but I live in hope.

Sticking with my Zelazny focused exegesis, a game based on his Chronicles of Amber could easily be called the outer worlds; Amber is the center of the multiverse and their royal family can dimension hop at will into what they call shadows—parallel universes. The furthest shadows from Amber might be the outer worlds.

I admit this is all vanishingly unlikely. Pure masturbatory wish fulfillment. But a man can dream.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
some idea about mythological based kinda netherworlds that existed around the corner/in the shadows of reality? One misstep around a corner in London and you're in the darkened alleyways of Whitechapel being stalked by a butcher, one fogbank rolls into Bergen and a beaching Drakkar dispenses mail clad raiders, the ergs shift the sun blinds and you're wandering out of the desert into ancient Memphis.

Which could be the greatest RPG ever created if it was a singleplayer game.

KevinV12000

Arcane

Which could be the greatest RPG ever created if it was a singleplayer game.

This is right, and it's such a goddamn shame it hurts me to think about it. I remember when I was first playing, and had gotten into it a bit, and was sitting at my desk in awe during one of the dungeons, the lore and thought that had gone into the story, and was watching typical MMO min-maxer morons (the libertarians of gaming) blow right past it so they could extract the maximum "loot" from the "dungeon" in the least amount of time possible.

I know they just re-worked TSW, but if FunCom really wants to hit the sweet spot they should retire the MMO angle and do another Conan and another TSW in the same manner that Larian did DOS II.

THAT would be a home run.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron

We're more right than wrong.

Usually anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom