Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How many of you still buy full priced games in the era of Steam sales?

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Playing with friends is for console-tards.

Playing with friends is a best experience in many games, mainly multiplayer ones. Seriously, playing without friends in many games is for retards,because you will hinder yourself needlessly.

Momock

Augur
I usually buy some games day one, but not the expensives ones ("expensive" being more than 15-20 €), with some exceptions like MGSV or Trails of Cold Steel. I'm going to buy ToCS2 day one too.

I realized that if I wait for a game I want a lot I'm going to buy other good but inferior games while I wait at -50% or more, and finaly when the day comes and the game I initially wanted is finaly at a reasonable price... well, there's new shit I want and I rather wait for this new things, and the things I want cumulate into ridiculous amounts. So in the end... I played the subpar games instead of the one I trully wanted.

Deathsquid

Learned
I might buy a full-priced indie game from time to time, Slay the Spire being the latest example of such. It's actually pretty good, too, and I am surprised there's no thread about it on Codex.

For AAAAAAAAAA games? Why? Even if I want to be playing it on launch day, there's sites like Kinguin that sell the damn thing at 40-50% off at launch day. I mean, in a really rare case of amazing benevolence (like withe Elex) I might, but otherwise, no way.

the_shadow

Arcane
Very rarely do I buy games non-discounted. The ones I do buy full price are usually in a genre/series I've enjoyed in the past and have overwhelmingly positive reviews, and even then I don't spend more than $40. I'd probably be better off never buying any games at full price as they end up in my backlog, and by the time I get around to playing them they are half price.

Mark Richard

Arcane
When it comes to full priced £40+ games it happens maybe once a year. These games inevitably don't meet my standards on release, so I wait for a month for the bugs to be ironed out, by which time something else has caught my attention. The buggy game is then relegated to the back of my mind for a sale. Spellforce 3 is a victim of this. Come out swinging or don't come out at all. I don't mind paying full price, but so few are prepared to earn it.

I might buy a full-priced indie game from time to time, Slay the Spire being the latest example of such. It's actually pretty good, too, and I am surprised there's no thread about it on Codex.
Same here, partially because I yearn to be surprised.

Last edited:

Reinhardt

Arcane
AAA games are shit and not worth getting even on sales.
And decent indies or japan games are rare and cheap anyway, even on day 1 so it's ok to buy them for full price.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
if there's a new game I want to play, I buy it regardless of price.
but new games I want to play are so rare it barely happens.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I paid full price for a game exactly ONCE in my entire life - Final Fantasy III for the Super Nintendo console when it was first released in America in 1990. It was a ridiculous sum of money too, something like $40 (USD) which is the equivalent of $2000 in 2018 or something, but thankfully the game was GOOD and I felt I got my money's worth. After that, I never bought a game at full price again. I would wait for things like the CD-ROM versions of Freespace 2 or Messiah (great, unique game, btw) or Descent 3 to be on sale in close-out stock from mail order retailers for, like, $5.00 a pop (and this was only a few months after their original releases). Now, in this day and age, I only buy on the cheap with various digital download sites that are frequently connected to Steam. I usually wait for big sales, like when I got Dark Souls II with all DLCs + the original game with all DLCs for about $5.00 each ($10 total). I think $5.00 is usually my price though I did buy ARMA II and its expansions for about $15.00 because I wanted to play online and was sick of the diabolical copy protection from a pirated copy I acquired where I would randomly turn into a small flapping bird in the midst of a firefight. My next purchase will probably be Dark Souls III which I ALMOST bought recently from a digital download retailer for $15.00 but I decided to wait for the Deluxe or GOTY edition with all the DLCs for my target price of (yes, you guessed it) five bucks. This pleases my various miserly mental illness issues and/or OCD tendencies.

Last edited:

SniperHF

Arcane
I basically only buy full price games. I only play maybe 4-6 games a year so when I want to play that game I just get it.
The only exceptions are games I'm on the fence over and don't want to pay full price on.

I could collect a bunch of games backlog style from cap bundles and methodically go through them (or not which is more common) but it's probably more total money spent that way.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Yeah sometimes. I don't spend my money on virtually anything else.

yyuse

Literate
last time i did so was for a wii u game? i think? don't remember which one. back in '14.

now i pirate / sales / used console games.

with how the press is corrupt i can't trust reviews anymore. i mean, i just browsed some "best sandbox games" and found plenty of recommendations for failout 4, random ass creeps, no man's sky and the sort.
blogs are dead (damn, give me ouugh back!) and youtubers are just a bunch of retarded fags. i tasted the hard truth straight to my face for the first and last time with oblivion, which i preordered. never again.
now i have the moral imperative to try something before buying and by the time i advance through my backlog, download something and try it firsthand its price has already dropped.
d1p? not one since the oblivion incident, but i made an exception for stellaris because i found it on gmg for little more than 20 euros, it was worth the gamble. now i might be interested in its next expansion, and you got me interested in the latest monster hunter due this autumn.
yeah, i'm definitely not ea's or ubisoft's dream customer.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
Interesting thread. Where I live, games are cheaper thanks to regional pricing both digitally and physically. But correspondingly, I don't have much to spend so I almost never buy full price games a rule. The exceptions were getting DS2 SOTFS for full price (of 23ish dollars) from amazon, getting Borderlands : The Pre-Sequel for full price (of 18ish dollars, never again with that franchise) and MGS5 for 18ish dollars; and all of them were physical copies that I knew would run out and may not restock. Other than that, I buy even physical copies only on discount. Now, I buy almost exclusively through steam, since I don't have debit cards that work with other stores / code resellers.

What would also be really interesting is how much the split is for everyone between which store they buy from most of the time. And also how often they buy games. I bought exclusively through steam for the past one year, which was only two times when there were sales and I charged my steam account to get what I wanted. I only buy on sale, and only buy when the discount is decent (at least 66% if I want it really badly, but 75% preferred). The most I'll probably ever pay for a single game is $25-30 and I don't see that changing soon or until I become rich.

In the last year, I, spent

100% of game money on steam
0% on HumbleBundle
0% on GOG
0% on GMG / GGate / other resellers
0% on Origin (and will spend only to get some old stuff when I can nothing new, but their subscription offer seems to have good value)
0% on U-play (same as Origin but without sub)

For getting games the same year as release, the best option seems to be Humble Monthly, where you always get recent games, but only random ones.

Falksi

Arcane
Usually grab a game in the sale, but will occasionally buy full price if I've played a mates copy & enjoyed it, or of it's a sequel and I fell the original game was so good that the devs warrent extra cash.

Parsifarka

Arcane
I buy ACE Team and Golden Era games full priced every time, the rest can wait til 90% discount or $1 bundle.

Serious Sam 4 will be D1P if ever released as well.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
I pre-ordered the ME3 Collector's Edition.

Yes, that was a bad move. Last time for pre-order or :d1p:- never again.

Now, with zero backlog because I don't spend money on games I might play, I have put myself into a corner. However, I don't play shitty games either, so meh.

TIL Morgoth is a verb, and was reminded that taxalot is a tool.

DemonKing

Arcane
I never pay full price these days - if I desperately want to play a game at release (like a game with a multiplayer focus that you want to try while it hopefully has a decent population) I usually go to a cdkey reseller and save myself at least 25%.

Otherwise I usually wait until it's dropped to no more than $20 before I pull the trigger. I have such a huge backlog of partially/unplayed games anyway that it's not like I have nothing to do waiting for the price to drop which these days doesn't usually take too long.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom